The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 14, 2016, 06:43am
Official Forum Member

Advice needed for basketball store owner

Fellow refs, I just added a Basketball Referees section to my RefereeStore Basketball but since I don't referee it myself (I am only a soccer referee) I feel like I need to get more advice as to what would make the entire basketball complete.

Can anyone land a helpful advice? Please take a look and reply or PM me.

Much appreciated, thanks.

MODs: please remove if this will be considered self-adverstising and let me know if I could pay for it, I really want some advice from fellow referees.

Thank you in advance
Old Thu Apr 14, 2016, 06:46am
Official Forum Member

Well, I'll be taking class soon, but not really a basketball ref yet..
Old Thu Apr 14, 2016, 09:31am
#thereferee99

Good looking site

I'm not going to dig too deep...
You can drop the 'watches' tab. bball officials don't use them.

on the accessories tab you show a coin. again not used.

the photo on the starter kit tab shows a belt. not used, except Connecticut.

i like the site!
Old Thu Apr 14, 2016, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

No shoes in your basketball/shoe section; add at least New Balance and Reebok. Add Smitty lanyards.

By the way, here in PA, school soccer officials wear collared, striped shirts, the same style worn by football and lacrosse officials. You might want to cross-link to those shirts on your soccer uniform page.

Last edited by LRZ; Thu Apr 14, 2016 at 10:43am.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2016, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
I'm not going to dig too deep...
You can drop the 'watches' tab. bball officials don't use them.

on the accessories tab you show a coin. again not used.

the photo on the starter kit tab shows a belt. not used, except Connecticut.

i like the site!
Question; should we put in some regular stopwatches with neck lanyard, etc.? Is there always a managed clock, including all amateur levels or are there instances of referees using those stopwatches?
Old Thu Apr 14, 2016, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
No shoes in your basketball/shoe section; add at least New Balance and Reebok. Add Smitty lanyards.

By the way, here in PA, school soccer officials wear collared, striped shirts, the same style worn by football and lacrosse officials. You might want to cross-link to those shirts on your soccer uniform page.
LRZ, thanks for the info - are the lanyards we have inadequate? Or are Smitty just your preferred brand?
Old Thu Apr 14, 2016, 10:54am
certified Hot Mom tester

You need to add striped jockstraps.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2016, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref81 View Post
Question; should we put in some regular stopwatches with neck lanyard, etc.? Is there always a managed clock, including all amateur levels or are there instances of referees using those stopwatches?
No stopwatches.

Quote:
LRZ, thanks for the info - are the lanyards we have inadequate? Or are Smitty just your preferred brand?
"smitty" is a type of lanyard, as used here (it is also a brand) -- it clips to the loop on the front of the shirt. Another type is a "noose" lanyard that goes around the neck -- and there are different styles of this as well.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2016, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Lanyards

As Bob wrote, Smitty offers some options that you don't--primarily the type that clips to the small ring at the base of the neck on collarless shirts, and the noose type.

But it's mostly about options and choices. Smitty is a widely-recognized name, and the cords and hooks seem to be slimmer than what you show on your site.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2016, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
As Bob wrote, Smitty offers some options that you don't--primarily the type that clips to the small ring at the base of the neck on collarless shirts, and the noose type.

But it's mostly about options and choices. Smitty is a widely-recognized name, and the cords and hooks seem to be slimmer than what you show on your site.
Point taken. Thanks for the lesson. Anything else coming to your mind besides shoes, lanyards and removing some unnecessary stuff?
Old Thu Apr 14, 2016, 04:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Heads I Win, Tails You Lose ...

Quote:
... coin. again not used.
Didn't the NFHS send us a questionnaire back in February that included a question about eliminating the jump ball to start the game? If the NFHS ever eliminates the jump ball (as I pray for every night, shut up Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.), then we only have two choices to start the game: give the ball to the visitors, or have a coin toss.

Quote:
... belt, not used, except Connecticut.
Just my little corner of Connecticut. All the rest of IAABO (thirty-eight states and eleven foreign counties), bans the belt. My local board epitomizes our state nickname, The Land Of Steady Habits.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Apr 14, 2016 at 04:24pm.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2016, 04:26pm
Official & Member

A couple ideas for "Accessories"...

-Shirt stays- Elastic bands with clips on both ends. Connects to top of sock/hose and bottom of shirt to keep the sirt tucked neatly (I currently buy them on Amazon)
- That rubber belt thingy that you wrap around your waist with little rubber nubs that also keep shirt tucked (alternative to "Stays") Anybody know the brand/product name of those? Maybe Magic Belt or something?
-Court diagram with little magnets and color coded coverage areas.

Also, under compression gear, you can lose the long sleeve shirt. All basketball officials wear short sleeves.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2016, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Point taken. Thanks for the lesson. Anything else coming to your mind besides shoes, lanyards and removing some unnecessary stuff?
You might want to add compression items that referees do use for basketball: compression calf and ankle sleeves, compression socks, compression shorts.

FWIW, I have no problem with your site listing things (eg, LS compression shirts, wrist lanyards) in one section (eg, basketball) that only apply to another (soccer, football).
Old Thu Apr 14, 2016, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Fellow refs, I just added a Basketball Referees section to my RefereeStore Basketball but since I don't referee it myself (I am only a soccer referee) I feel like I need to get more advice as to what would make the entire basketball complete.

Can anyone land a helpful advice? Please take a look and reply or PM me.

Much appreciated, thanks.

MODs: please remove if this will be considered self-adverstising and let me know if I could pay for it, I really want some advice from fellow referees.

Thank you in advance
The layout of your site needs some work. Depending on the browser you use, it is not user friendly at all.

IE seems OK.

Chrome is busted. You have to scroll down about 2 pages worth to even see the items. The menu that is on the left in IE is centered in chrome and pushes the main page contents down below the menu.

I didn't check Firefox or Safari but you should.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2016, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

I wish officiating retailers would get running shoe companies (Asics, New Balance, Saucony, and Brooks, to name a few) into producing all black running shoes suitable for neutral and support shoe types. Right now, some produce a few black models every now and then, and only Asics has a black and white model that I know of that they make with every new shoe addition. However, that model is a support shoe and not for neutral guys like me.

Some basketball guys are fine in the cross-trainer style but many of us aren't. Use your storefront to start asking OEMs to make more black models.