The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Traveling (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101218-traveling.html)

stlstripes Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:16am

Traveling

Player is on both knees holding the ball. Lifts one knee and now has one knee on the floor and a foot. Has the player traveled?

Dad Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:40am

Probably.

A player holding the ball: after gaining control while on the floor and touching with other than hand or foot, may not attempt to get up or stand.

It's not definitive, but the casebook also adds to the situation: Any attempt to get to the feet is a travel unless the player is dribbling.

From knee to foot I'm calling it ten times out of ten.

If the player goes to pass the ball and the knee comes off the ground right before the pass? Ehhh.....

bob jenkins Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:42am

Here we go again ....

The rule says something like "attempts to stand."

Some view the action you describe as meeting that requirement. Some don't. Some say there's an element of time involved (if the action is part of a pass, and the pass is released relatively quickly, then don't pick nits over whether the foot hit the floor before the pass is released.)

There's never any consensus.

Lock it up now.

BigCat Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:50am

The search function can be pretty helpful. Put in "travel knee" or just "knee" and you should see the other threads on it.

stlstripes Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:51am

I have a feeling this going to be split down the middle. Here's how I interpret it. Both knees on the floor = 2 feet on the floor. Lift one knee to bring the foot to the floor, now you have established the knee the is still on the floor as the "pivot." If that knee is lifted prior to a dribble, pass or shot, then we have a travel.

Just my opinion.

stlstripes Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:52am

Thanks BigCat, somewhat new to using this forum.

Dad Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlstripes (Post 985814)
I have a feeling this going to be split down the middle. Here's how I interpret it. Both knees on the floor = 2 feet on the floor. Lift one knee to bring the foot to the floor, now you have established the knee the is still on the floor as the "pivot." If that knee is lifted prior to a dribble, pass or shot, then we have a travel.

Just my opinion.

Are you sure this is your opinion? ;)

You can lift whatever you want to pass/shoot. You can not to dribble.

Adam Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlstripes (Post 985814)

Just my opinion.

The knee is never, ever, the pivot. Read bob's post again, you'll likely have to decide for yourself whether lifting a knee is an attempt to stand.

But the knee cannot be the pivot for purposes of the traveling rule.

Ever.

Not to mention your misunderstanding of what can be done after the pivot foot is lifted.

Lots of work to do here. :)