The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 21, 2016, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Xavier/Wisconsin coach on floor

GIF

NCAAM rules, of course. Xavier's head coach is inbounds next to the Wisconsin shooter, who is attempting a 3-point shot. The shot is unsuccessful.

Assuming contact was made, which isn't clear from the only angle I can find, what is the correct call and how should play be resumed? Assume that if any whistle is blown for a foul/violation, it is blown while the shot is in the air before it hits the rim or backboard.

My forum signature should make it clear I'm not an official in any sport at any level, but I will mention it in this post just in case there is any confusion.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2016, 06:34am
Courageous When Prudent

Class A technical foul. Administration would depend on whether the shot was good or not.
Old Tue Mar 22, 2016, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Would this fall under 10.3.2i (bench personnel causing contact that is unnecessary...) and for which the penalty is 2 shots and the ball at half court and the offending person is ejected? If so, the result of the shot would only impact whether or not to count the basket, correct?
Old Tue Mar 22, 2016, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner View Post
Would this fall under 10.3.2i (bench personnel causing contact that is unnecessary...) and for which the penalty is 2 shots and the ball at half court and the offending person is ejected? If so, the result of the shot would only impact whether or not to count the basket, correct?
That section, 10-3-2, says bench personnel shall not commit unsportsmanlike acts "which include but are not limited to"....

If I thought coach fouled a player on purpose i'd likely use 10-3-2i and eject. But if he just lost track of his location I'd just call it unsportsmanlike, give other team 2 shots and go to poi. (Arrow if shot missed). I don't have to fit it under a-i. I can just call it unsportsmanlike. Frankly, I'd like to see the play. If there really isn't much there I might not have anything.

Finally, a coach out of his box is supposed to get a warning and then if he is out again he gets class B. This is also an option. Just depends on what it looks like...

Last edited by BigCat; Tue Mar 22, 2016 at 10:59pm.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2016, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
There wasn't anything there except maybe the need to give the coach a warning about being on the court. The OP asked hypothetically, what would happen if there was contact.

Is deciding whether or not to eject purely a judgement call? Also wondering if there is any rules support for awarding 3 free throws if the contact occurred during a 3 point attempt? I don't think so since the foul wouldn't be a personal foul because it wasn't committed by a player.
Old Wed Mar 23, 2016, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

If there is contact it would be a class A T unless I thought it was intentional then it would be an ejectionable offense. If the shot goes in I'm counting it too.