The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Did an exhibition game last week, both my partner and I were called in at the last minute, after an assigning mixup.

Anyway, halfway through the game, one of the players comes to me and says "your partner's been drinking, I can smell it". I shrugged and said I hadn't noticed anything.

Next timeout, I talked to him and sure enough, his breath smelled very strongly of booze. I said nothing...but kept an eye out. He didn't appear drunk, he was running fine, and he called a good game.

No other players complained and at no point did my partner appear to be the least bit out of control. I do not think he was drunk. Still, it kind of looks bad, I guess.

My instinct is to not to say anything to anyone. If the player's really that ticked, I suppose my assignor will hear about it eventually. Remember, we got called in at the last minute: I was watching the tube, he was apparently in the middle of dinner. My guess is a glass of wine/beer or two with his meal.

What would you do?

[Edited by canuckrefguy on Sep 17th, 2003 at 02:04 AM]
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 02:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Do not report.

All I would do is have a conversation with him directly. Tell him what the player said to you and move on. He might have a very good explaination for it and it will make him aware of what was noticed by others. Because he might have been in the middle of dinner or been relaxing at home and had one beer. I think you should at least give him that. He will learn from it and you will learn from it.

Now if you noticed he was really blitzed, I would then feel more confrontable to report it to the state or assignor.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Canuck,

If it were me, I would give the guy a call and tell him that the player mentioned it. Personally, if the guy got called at the last minute and called a good game, then I would not report it. As you said, he probably wasn't expecting to work and just had a beer with dinner.

But I would tell him that somebody noticed, just so that if he gets a call from the assignor, he'll be prepared. Just my opinion.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Did an exhibition game last week, both my partner and I were called in at the last minute, after an assigning mixup.

Anyway, halfway through the game, one of the players comes to me and says "your partner's been drinking, I can smell it". I shrugged and said I hadn't noticed anything.

Next timeout, I talked to him and sure enough, his breath smelled very strongly of booze. I said nothing...but kept an eye out. He didn't appear drunk, he was running fine, and he called a good game.

No other players complained and at no point did my partner appear to be the least bit out of control. I do not think he was drunk. Still, it kind of looks bad, I guess.

My instinct is to not to say anything to anyone. If the player's really that ticked, I suppose my assignor will hear about it eventually. Remember, we got called in at the last minute: I was watching the tube, he was apparently in the middle of dinner. My guess is a glass of wine/beer or two with his meal.

What would you do?

[Edited by canuckrefguy on Sep 17th, 2003 at 02:04 AM]
He MIGHT have even told the assignor he had just had a beer and the assignor might have been in such a need that he agreed to let him work. I wouldn't say anything (except MAYBE to your partner).

Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Canuck,

If it were me, I would give the guy a call and tell him that the player mentioned it. Personally, if the guy got called at the last minute and called a good game, then I would not report it. As you said, he probably wasn't expecting to work and just had a beer with dinner.

But I would tell him that somebody noticed, just so that if he gets a call from the assignor, he'll be prepared. Just my opinion.
I don't drink much, and neither does my husband. But I get the impression that one or two beers with dinner won't give a strong odor to the breath. I'd say something to the partner, and give him a chance to explain, but in the absence of some really great excuse, I'd report him. If it's a continuing problem, the assignor probably already knows about it anyway, and if it's not, well, he ought to know.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Question

I can't believe that a glass of wine or a beer (or 2) at dinner would be enough to allow a player to smell alcohol on his breath. I would have to assume that there was more consumed than anyone here is assuming.....
I'd definitely tell the official that a player brought it to my attention. I'd see what he has to say, and play it by ear whether or not the conversation goes any further.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not a doctor, but I believe there are certain medical conditions that can cause the apparent smell of alcohol on the breath.

Still, if he has actually consumed alcohol, he's putting everyone on the floor at risk....including his partner. If someone were to get hurt, even if the alcohol was NOT a factor, it would be an opening for a lawsuit against the entire crew. Even moreso if it had been brought to the attention of the other official(s).

It should certainly be addressed in some manner. The trick is where, when, and how. Discreetly, of course. If it's obvious in his behavior, right away.

If he had actually been impaired, I'd do a few things. I'd request that he step out and let me finish it alone. Afterwards, I'd request not to be assigned with him again and tell the assignor why. I'm not letting someone else's poor choices put thie kids, me or my family at risk where I have a choice.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I don't drink much, and neither does my husband. But I get the impression that one or two beers with dinner won't give a strong odor to the breath.
Very possible. I guess that's a bad assumption on my part. My experience with alcohol is not as extensive as, say, Dan's.

I think I stand by the rest of my answer, tho. If he called a good game and was not noticeably impaired, then I don't think I would report it. But I would let him know that somebody noticed.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I don't drink much, and neither does my husband. But I get the impression that one or two beers with dinner won't give a strong odor to the breath.
Very possible. I guess that's a bad assumption on my part. My experience with alcohol is not as extensive as, say, Dan's.

I think I stand by the rest of my answer, tho. If he called a good game and was not noticeably impaired, then I don't think I would report it. But I would let him know that somebody noticed.
Very nice. In the last 24 hrs I've been accused of being a bald headed alchohol abuser....not that I'm denying any of it mind you....
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Ugh guys, do keep in mind some mouth washes will leave a alcholic smell to the breath. I have gotten sent to the principals office a few times for having alcohol on my breath. Mind you the only thing i had in my mout that morning after breakfast was a mouthfull of Listerine. If guys are concious about there breath or having dental problems Listerene if a mouthful is used will have leave the smell of alchol on the breath. A few other mouthwahes and even prescription medicines do the same thing.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 04:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Doesn't sweat bring out the smell of alcohol? That would explain why you didn't notice before the game, but did when it was pointed out to you.
Or, maybe he washed his clothes in beer?
I'd talk to the partner about it, and let it drop from there if it didn't affect his game.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 04:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
[/B]
Very nice. In the last 24 hrs I've been accused of being a bald headed alchohol abuser....not that I'm denying any of it mind you.... [/B][/QUOTE]Hey,at least we didn't say anything about the sheep.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2003, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the thoughts folks....I think I may mention it to my partner, just to let him know that a player noticed.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Just teasin' ya, ace!

Well, we all know that ace is under age, but clearly he doesn't do much drinking, since he can't even spell the word!

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
leave a alcholic smell to the breath. ....leave the smell of alchol...
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Yeah well... I wont even get started on my drinking but its never been very much.

But I have learned about the mouth wash the hard way.... You can fail a breathing test for drinking if u get pulled over and your moutwash is still in your system.