The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 17, 2016, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

college travel (no) calls

Are you college guys instructed to ignore poorly executed jump stops and post pivot moves, and stepping into three point shots, or does it just appear that way? The college game is starting to look more and more like the NBA!
Old Thu Mar 17, 2016, 02:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Nope, nobody's ever instructed me to ignore travels

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Thu Mar 17, 2016, 02:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Never been instructed or even been to a camp to pass on travels. Been told to not guess at both high school and college camps.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 17, 2016, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

People don't realize how quick the game is at that level. Same as the NBA. You have to be 100% and for the speed of the game looking at players feet as your running or the ball coming suddenly in your area isn't as easy as High school.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2016, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geh View Post
Are you college guys instructed to ignore poorly executed jump stops and post pivot moves, and stepping into three point shots, or does it just appear that way? The college game is starting to look more and more like the NBA!
If you were an official, you'd know the answer.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2016, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Only during the tournament.

It increases interest and participation from the fans.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2016, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole4088 View Post
People don't realize how quick the game is at that level. Same as the NBA. You have to be 100% and for the speed of the game looking at players feet as your running or the ball coming suddenly in your area isn't as easy as High school.
+1 -- Even HS at the varsity level it is often difficult.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2016, 04:12pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Blocked

Wait, wrong website.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old Thu Mar 17, 2016, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

I have basically heard it said to not call it unless EVERYONE within a 100 miles radius could see it. Getting it right is frowned upon by some that either don't want to or can't tell if it is a travel.
Old Thu Mar 17, 2016, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

The travels referred to in the OP are most likely being missed or passed on as others have said because of the speed + amount of other things going on + officiating physical defense = all adds up to a lot of situations where officials are not fully certain of travel.

Rule of thumb and popular advice on this board is to miss/pass 100% of calls that MIGHT be a violation (regardless of what slo mo tape says later) rather than call 1 incorrectly that wasn't a violation.

On a related note if you are looking for calls that just don't get called travels you might want to start watching take off dribbles particularly in transition by rebounders and players catching in transition on the sidelines. No one likes a game interrupter but starting penetration or transition running with the ball might be a reason teams don't defend well without fouling. They see a running back and their tyke football instincts kick in to reach out and grab him.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!