The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Good Call Gesture (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101089-good-call-gesture.html)

bas2456 Sun Mar 13, 2016 03:32pm

Good Call Gesture

I've seen different ways for officials to acknowledge a good call to one another on the floor.

For example, in the Big Ten Championship game, Gene Steratore tapped the top of his head at Ted Valentine to acknowledge the information he provided on a possible backcourt violation (Valentine signaled from the C that the ball was tipped into the backcourt, Steratore was the T).

In my area, guys will pound their two fists together lightly, one on top of the other.

Anything you guys use? Just curious...

AremRed Sun Mar 13, 2016 04:37pm

Pretty sure Steretore gave Teddy a thumbs up on the tip help. Tapping his head and giving another thumbs up was telling the shot clock guy good job.

BlueDevilRef Sun Mar 13, 2016 05:55pm

For softball we do the fist thing. I do it in basketball but I don't know if it is as widespread. Or maybe I've yet to make a great call bc nobody has given it to me. [emoji852][emoji852]

Nevadaref Sun Mar 13, 2016 05:57pm

I say, "Good call, partner."

Adam Sun Mar 13, 2016 08:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 984099)

This.

BatteryPowered Mon Mar 14, 2016 09:05am

Quote:

This...especially if the call is on a player of a chirping coach. Let's the coach know we both saw the same thing.

JRutledge Mon Mar 14, 2016 09:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BatteryPowered (Post 984135)
This...especially if the call is on a player of a chirping coach. Let's the coach know we both saw the same thing.

I do the very same thing.

Peace

Dad Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:05am

Quote:

Yup, this. I think using sign language no one understands is rather pointless.

BlueDevilRef Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:20am

I took this to mean if you aren't within earshot. Of course if you are close enough you would just say it. But I'm not saying anything if I'm 50-70 feet away, thus, the fist pound.

And it's generally not meant for anyone else to understand. It's communication bw partners, not for the coaches or fans.

mtn335 Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:37pm

Quote:

I used to say this. Then - in my first 4-year game - a coach went off a bit on me for "cheerleading" my partner. Supervisor was there, and laughed at the coach, but suggested it might be wiser for me to remove that from my tool bag. :p

JRutledge Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtn335 (Post 984184)
I used to say this. Then - in my first 4-year game - a coach went off a bit on me for "cheerleading" my partner. Supervisor was there, and laughed at the coach, but suggested it might be wiser for me to remove that from my tool bag. :p

Well that is unfortunate and that is how often we can change something, but as I see it so what. The coach already thinks we see everything that happens and complains when something takes place that we are in no way able to see or rule on realistically. All this does for me is tell the coach, "I agree with the call." If they get upset after that, that is there problem. I think we often have to stop caring what coaches think so much about things that happen or even what they say. Again, a coach can say all kinds of things to us but we tend to tippy-toe around them with our words. I have just found that is a waste of time in most cases. Heck you could say to the coach, "I wasn't talking to you." Let them get a taste of their own medicine. ;)

Peace

Raymond Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:53pm

Quote:

If I am by a coach who is way too vocal then I made sure I say it loudly.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Nevadaref Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 984167)
I took this to mean if you aren't within earshot. Of course if you are close enough you would just say it. But I'm not saying anything if I'm 50-70 feet away, thus, the fist pound.

And it's generally not meant for anyone else to understand. It's communication bw partners, not for the coaches or fans.

If I'm 50-70 feet away, I'm not going to have an opinion on my partner's call. I'm certainly not going to be looking way over there.

BlueDevilRef Mon Mar 14, 2016 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 984189)
If I'm 50-70 feet away, I'm not going to have an opinion on my partner's call. I'm certainly not going to be looking way over there.

Stupid typing on a phone makes it hard to get a point across. I meant when I'm giving the signal if I'm further away, likely after we have moved to a new spot on floor.

It's really more of a softball thing for me bc we have a lot less chances for a "close" play to happen. They happen every trip or so in basketball. But, I have done it.

trojans2545 Mon Mar 14, 2016 05:32pm

Softball is a double tap of the fists, but I don't do it on the college fields anymore. 1) coaches are wise to it and 2) with the proliferation of cameras, that is inevitably the play they send to your coordinator to complain about. It is starting to change to an "are you ok?" signal in my circle. Some of the shots I've taken and seen taken are ugly.

As far as a good call mechanic, I just make a mental note and talk about it in my post game in both sports now. If it's close, we will all remember it.