The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Mileage Tracking - Do you use an App? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101088-mileage-tracking-do-you-use-app.html)

Blindolbat Sun Mar 13, 2016 03:13pm

Mileage Tracking - Do you use an App?

I'm trying to automate everything in my life and wondering if any one out there is using a mileage tracker on their phone for IRS reporting. If so, which one do you use and do you like it? Does it provide you with the reports you need? Is it easy to use?

Thanks in advance.

dsqrddgd909 Mon Mar 14, 2016 07:15am

I use Mile IQ. Great App - easy to use. In fact it may be the best App I've seen for any use, not just mileage tracking. Easy reports. Only issue is cost. $55? I think it was.

scrounge Mon Mar 14, 2016 07:42am

I keep all my games in a spreadsheet, tracking not only date, location, pay, etc, but also partners (for baseball, don't bother with football or basketball) and game notes, kind of as a short diary/record.

For location, I have a tab with all the common locations in a list, then when I enter the name on the main tracking sheet, it looks up against the list. If it's a new school or location, it's easy to spot since the lookup returns an error. Then I just enter that school/location into the main list. Yea, it's a little time-consuming to set up at the start but after a short while, 90% of the locations are on the list and as it grows it gets even more all-encompassing. I have a little flag that I enter whether I left from work or home originally (since the mileage would be different) and it uses that in the lookup. To get the original values, I just used Google Map's distance from work or home.

So if I did something goofy like go from one school to the other, would it track that? No, but that's fairly rare. 99% of the time, I'm either leaving from either work or home and returning home. Close enough.

Raymond Mon Mar 14, 2016 07:45am

My odometer and a spreadsheet work quite well for me

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

grunewar Mon Mar 14, 2016 06:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrounge (Post 984130)
I keep all my games in a spreadsheet, tracking not only date, location, pay, etc, but also partners (for baseball, don't bother with football or basketball) and game notes, kind of as a short diary/record.

For location, I have a tab with all the common locations in a list, then when I enter the name on the main tracking sheet, it looks up against the list. If it's a new school or location, it's easy to spot since the lookup returns an error.

I do similar to this and print out my annual total to include with my taxes for records in case anyone should ask.

Amazingly, for me anyhow, I did my 100th different school/rec center this past season.....and I haven't moved.

Welpe Tue Mar 15, 2016 02:16am

Mileage Tracking - Do you use an App?

Scrounge, that's my next improvement for my records once I take the time to set it up. All hail =VLOOKUP!

I also want to create some drop down lists for schools to standardize the data.

You can always overwrite the lookup function in the mileage cell for those one off cases when you travel from somewhere else.

One of these days I want to build an app that syncs a database to Dropbox but I haven't found that much free time yet and the Excel sheet seems to work well enough. ;)

Moosie74 Tue Mar 15, 2016 09:15pm

I use Hurdlr, you can separate business and personal travel, tracks income and expenses as well as mileage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Dad Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 984222)
Scrounge, that's my next improvement for my records once I take the time to set it up. All hail =VLOOKUP!

I also want to create some drop down lists for schools to standardize the data.

You can always overwrite the lookup function in the mileage cell for those one off cases when you travel from somewhere else.

One of these days I want to build an app that syncs a database to Dropbox but I haven't found that much free time yet and the Excel sheet seems to work well enough. ;)

Can't you just have Excel pull the data?

Welpe Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:49am

Pull what data? For the drop down? I can but I need to pre-populate the data first. Which is the time consuming part.

Sharpshooternes Sat Mar 19, 2016 03:46am

Expensify is what I use. It tracks mileage, time, and expenses. It has a smart scan feature where you can take a picture of a receipt, and then it will import date, time, amount and merchant automatically. It works really well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk