The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Does 7-5-4 Trump 7-5-7? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101046-does-7-5-4-trump-7-5-7-a.html)

Freddy Wed Mar 09, 2016 07:48am

Does 7-5-4 Trump 7-5-7?

A1 attempts a shot from beyond the arc. While the ball is in the air, a foul is called on A2 for illegal contact with B2. After the whistle, A1's attempt is good.
Does (A) Team B get a 7-5-7 throw-in, able to "run the endline" because it follows a made basket? Or does (B) Team B get a designated spot throw-in nearest the foul because it follows a common foul prior to the bonus?
I don't think I got this right last night. Thought there was a casebook citation, of perhaps an Interp, on it but . . .

JetMetFan Wed Mar 09, 2016 07:58am

When in doubt the rules do have some logic built in. Why would you give Team B a designated-spot throw-in when Team B didn't do anything wrong?

Freddy Wed Mar 09, 2016 08:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 983615)
When in doubt the rules do have some logic built in. Why would you give Team B a designated-spot throw-in when Team B didn't do anything wrong?

I do not want to lean on logic and reason if there is some casebook or Interp citation out there that speaks to the situation. That's what I'm trying to verify . . . if anyone knows of one.

bob jenkins Wed Mar 09, 2016 09:45am

SITUATION 3: While Al’s three-point field-goal attempt is in flight, A3 fouls B1 (B is not in the bonus) near the bottom block area. The three-point field-goal attempt is successful. RULING: Score the three-point goal for Al. Team B will be permitted to run the end line on the ensuing throw-in. (5-7-7 Exp (2); 7-5-7)

BryanV21 Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:48am

Just a funny sidenote not having to do with the topic at hand. Sorry...

I have the Drumpfinator app for Chrome, which... if you don't know... changes the word "Trump" to "Drumpf" (you can look up the reason for that if you want) so the title of this thread read "Does 7-5-4 Drumpf 7-5-7?". :D

Nevadaref Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 983612)
A1 attempts a shot from beyond the arc. While the ball is in the air, a foul is called on A2 for illegal contact with B2. After the whistle, A1's attempt is good.
Does (A) Team B get a 7-5-7 throw-in, able to "run the endline" because it follows a made basket? Or does (B) Team B get a designated spot throw-in nearest the foul because it follows a common foul prior to the bonus?
I don't think I got this right last night. Thought there was a casebook citation, of perhaps an Interp, on it but . . .

If the foul would result in a throw-in spot on the endline, then Team B may run. If the foul would result in a sideline throw-in spot, it must remain there and be a spot throw-in.

Multiple Sports Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:28am

Isn't Trump trumping everything these days.......

7-5-4 does not CRUZ past 7-5-7

it doesn't cause you to feel the BERN past 7-5-7 nor does it go over the Hill compared to 7-5-7

Note: This is not an endorsement of any political candidate just a little play on words...I know that the moderators get a little funny about political statements...

Camron Rust Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 983631)

it also doesn't BERN past 7-5-7 nor does it go over the Hill compared to 7-5-7

Note: This is not an endorsement of any political candidate just a little play on words...I know that the moderators get a little funny about political statements...

Dewey Wins!!!

Multiple Sports Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:17pm

Dewey Wins !!!!

Touche my friend !!!!!

LRZ Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:28pm

Try 7.5.7 Situation C.

Freddy Wed Mar 09, 2016 03:48pm

Duh. 7.5.7E. Exact situation.

LRZ Wed Mar 09, 2016 06:43pm

E answers the original question, but C illustrates (I think) the distinction between end line and spot TI that Nevadaref pointed out in post #6.

Amesman Wed Mar 09, 2016 06:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 983631)

it doesn't cause you to feel the BERN past 7-5-7 nor does it go over the Hill compared to 7-5-7

Your signature covers all of the candidates already, every time.

Mark Padgett Wed Mar 09, 2016 08:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 983642)
Dewey Wins!!!

I was actually born the day this headline came out. It was the day after the 1948 election. The paper is the Chicago Tribune and I was born in Chicago, so this is my hometown newspaper headline the day I was born. How prophetic. Oh yeah - one of these papers is on display in the National Archives in Washington D.C.

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/200...eatstruman.jpg

Raymond Thu Mar 10, 2016 08:22am

I'm with Nevada, if the foul is not near the end line, it will be a designated spot throw-in.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk