The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 10:19pm
High Five Master

Hahaha. You would be correct. My bad. I thought something was weird about the dinosaur statement
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
DJ is a B1G official. He whacks that coach and he's still working the same game next season.

Not saying he should've. I wouldn't have even heard him in a HS game. Too busy shooting free throws. Let him vent a bit.
Rich,

I agree T or not he is in the MAAC next year. I do believe his feel for the game and his overall ability is the reason why he ignored this, just like you said, you are on the other end shooting free throws.....

Regarding venting, I had a coach in a game this year, go off the handle about thirty seconds before a media timeout. At the media he read me the riot act. I let him know I had enough. As he came out of the TO, I reminded him he was in a 1 possession game with 7 minutes to go and we weren't the problem.

#25 on the other team was...he laughed and we had no issues !!! Most of the
time they just want to blow off steam....
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Rich,

I agree T or not he is in the MAAC next year. I do believe his feel for the game and his overall ability is the reason why he ignored this, just like you said, you are on the other end shooting free throws.....

Regarding venting, I had a coach in a game this year, go off the handle about thirty seconds before a media timeout. At the media he read me the riot act. I let him know I had enough. As he came out of the TO, I reminded him he was in a 1 possession game with 7 minutes to go and we weren't the problem.

#25 on the other team was...he laughed and we had no issues !!! Most of the
time they just want to blow off steam....
Some officials seem to be okay with coaches treating them poorly. I won't tolerate it. It didn't take long for most of the coaches in the area to know the consequence, and so they don't misbehave towards me. I find that a better path.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

NV - A gentleman in this business who is now retired told me ( campers) years ago at Fred Barakat's referee school, the longer you are in a league the less technical's you should have....Never was a statement more correct. With the exception of JUCO, my technical fouls are very minimal. As you move up the ladder, supervisors expect you have pretty solid people skills. Im not saying you don't...we just have different approaches. When my ratings decline due to this, I might just send you a PM on how to handle things. But until then, Ill stick with what works for me. That is the beauty of this business...

Disclaimer: Not sure if many people under 35 are familiar with Fred Barakat but it was probably the best camps I ever attended !!!
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 12:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Some officials seem to be okay with coaches treating them poorly. I won't tolerate it. It didn't take long for most of the coaches in the area to know the consequence, and so they don't misbehave towards me. I find that a better path.
I actually totally agree with this. Coaches know "I am not that one." It makes life so much easier. Now I might not resolve that with T all the time as I tend to stop craziness before it starts and no one knows interaction even took place.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
NV - A gentleman in this business who is now retired told me ( campers) years ago at Fred Barakat's referee school, the longer you are in a league the less technical's you should have....Never was a statement more correct. With the exception of JUCO, my technical fouls are very minimal. As you move up the ladder, supervisors expect you have pretty solid people skills. Im not saying you don't...we just have different approaches. When my ratings decline due to this, I might just send you a PM on how to handle things. But until then, Ill stick with what works for me. That is the beauty of this business...

Disclaimer: Not sure if many people under 35 are familiar with Fred Barakat but it was probably the best camps I ever attended !!!
It also happens that as you've been around longer, you also gain the respect of the coaches. You've proven over time you can call the game. They're less likely to give you grief to the level you have to deal with. It isn't just magical people skills.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It also happens that as you've been around longer, you also gain the respect of the coaches. You've proven over time you can call the game. They're less likely to give you grief to the level you have to deal with. It isn't just magical people skills.
You just saved me some typing, but unless Fred Barakat said it, this isn't going to matter to him.

PS I'm pretty certain that Barakat is deceased.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2016, 12:32pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by camron rust View Post
it also happens that as you've been around longer, you also gain the respect of the coaches. You've proven over time you can call the game. They're less likely to give you grief to the level you have to deal with. It isn't just magical people skills.
+1