Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 12:31am
Broadcaster

State championship games played on non-regulation baskets

From the AJC
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Per the article, it would take about 1hr to move the baskets closer to the court?....What!?! Arena staff must be union!
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 04:21am
Official Forum Member

This is an embarrassment. The administrators should be ashamed.

In fact, everyone involved with the setup of the facility and the state governing board running the event should not receive any pay for the days of the tournament. The money should be donated to the schools or a charity.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 05:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
This is an embarrassment. The administrators should be ashamed.

In fact, everyone involved with the setup of the facility and the state governing board running the event should not receive any pay for the days of the tournament. The money should be donated to the schools or a charity.
They certainly should have taken the time to reconfigure the baskets to be in the correct spots.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 07:10am
Esteemed Forum Member

Better Late Then Never ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
They certainly should have taken the time to reconfigure the baskets to be in the correct spots.
Agree. An hour? What's the big deal? Wait. Get it right. We had a state tournament game delayed thirty minutes the other night to accommodate a bus stuck in traffic. It wasn't a big deal. It was announced to the crowd and the concession stand made a fortune. Most in the crowd spent the extra time messing around with their smart phones.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 06, 2016 at 07:15am.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Agree. VERY poor decision by the state. To know about it before the game and not make it right is unacceptable.

I wonder if any officials were aware or noticed it? If it were me and I noticed, as part of my Rule 2 duties I'd insist the problem be corrected before the game started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 07:45am
Esteemed Forum Member

Paradise By The Dashboard Light (Meatloaf, 1977)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
If it were me and I noticed, as part of my Rule 2 duties I'd insist the problem be corrected before the game started.
And, after your well intentioned, rational, and correct, insistence, what if the Georgia High School Association executive director, or president, or basketball tournament coordinator, tapped you on the shoulder, and told you to officiate the game as is? What's your next move?

What's it gonna be, boy?

Fish, or cut bait?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
And, after your well intentioned, rational, and correct, insistence, what if the Georgia High School Association executive director, or president, or basketball tournament coordinator, tapped you on the shoulder, and told you to officiate the game as is? What's your next move?

What's it gonna be, boy?

Fish, or cut bait?

When the boss says work, I'll work. But there's an element of poetic justice in knowing that they know that I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 08:09am
Esteemed Forum Member

Poetic Justice Mentioned On The Forum ??? Pretty High Brow Stuff ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
When the boss says work, I'll work. But there's an element of poetic justice in knowing that they know that I know.
Good answer. Now where's that darn like button? Wait? I'm being told ... The Forum? Not Facebook? Then I'll just make my own like button.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 06, 2016 at 08:14am.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 08:18am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Good answer. Now where's that darn like button? Wait? I'm being told ... The Forum? Not Facebook? Then I'll just make my own like button.
There is a Like button on the smart phone app.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 08:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

Now I Have To Go And Yell At The Neighborhood Kids To Get Off My Front Lawn ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
There is a Like button on the smart phone app.
What's a smart phone? How can anything be smarter than my good old flip phone? I can call anybody in the world with my flip phone. It even takes low definition photos. And, I'm told that my flip phone can text, if somebody can just show me how this texting thing works. How can a phone be any better than that?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 06, 2016 at 08:33am.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What's it gonna be, boy?

Fish, or cut bait?
I would not officiate the contest. They can find someone else if they wish to play with incorrect placement of the baskets. Those are fundamental to the game.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 08:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

What If ???

Quote:
I would not officiate the contest. They can find someone else if they wish to play with incorrect placement of the baskets. Those are fundamental to the game.
Strong answer. Nice job sticking up to your high principles.

But what if it was only a one inch error on the court? Or, it was discovered that both baskets were a half an inch too high? And that it would take twenty four hours to make the adjustment? And that there were 12,000 fans in the Macon Centreplex waiting for the game to begin? And then the Georgia High School Association executive director, or president, or basketball tournament coordinator, tapped you on the shoulder, and told you to officiate the game as is?

A one foot difference? A one hour wait? I believe that I would be as insistent as Nevadaref under those parameters, but what about lesser problems that couldn't be fixed in a short time frame? Both rims one quarter of an inch too short? Can't be fixed for a week? We're probably playing basketball. Rims eleven feet high? Forty-five minute delay? We'll wait. Rims eleven feet high? Twenty-four hour delay? No way we're playing tonight.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 06, 2016 at 08:55am.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Strong answer. Nice job sticking up to your high principles. But what if it was only a one inch error on the court? Or, it was discovered that both baskets were a half an inch too high? And that it would take twenty four hours to make the adjustment? And that there were 12,000 fans in the Macon Centreplex waiting for the game to begin? And then the Georgia High School Association executive director, or president, or basketball tournament coordinator, tapped you on the shoulder, and told you to officiate the game as is?
The smaller the error the less likely that anyone is to notice.
However, to take your hypothetical to the extreme, if the baskets are an inch off and for whatever reason they cannot be fixed until the next day, I would think that consulting with the teams would be the right thing to do. Either one of them should have the right to protest playing under improper conditions. I would honor such.

Of course, Billy, you realize that what you are asking is like saying that the only ball which can be found for the boys State Championship game is a girls basketball. It's not going to happen. Somehow, someway, the issue will get fixed.

I'm shocked that the directors, officials, and teams all knew that the baskets were a full foot out of place and that it wouldn't take that long too fix it, yet did nothing about it for the kids. These were games that they will remember for the rest of their lives. You know what they will remember most now? Yep, that the adminstrators didn't care enough to get the damn baskets properly placed. What a shame.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2016, 09:06am
Esteemed Forum Member

What The Hell Were They Thinking ???

Quote:
The smaller the error the less likely that anyone is to notice ... I would think that consulting with the teams would be the right thing to do. Either one of them should have the right to protest playing under improper conditions ... only ball which can be found for the boys State Championship game is a girls basketball. It's not going to happen. Somehow, someway, the issue will get fixed ... I'm shocked that the directors, officials, and teams all knew that the baskets were a full foot out of place and that it wouldn't take that long too fix it, yet did nothing about it ...
Agree. And I'm as shocked as you.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 06, 2016 at 09:10am.