The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Injured (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101012-injured.html)

Wildcatwilly Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:58am

Injured

Want your thoughts. My partner injured his back and wasn't sure how well he could get up and down the floor but was going to give it a go. He wanted to tell the coaches that he was a bit hobbled do you's think that is necessary?

Dad Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:06am

This isn't a scenario where you need to use the word necessary. I wouldn't have cared if he said something or not.

It's not needed, but it really doesn't matter either way.

WhistlesAndStripes Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildcatwilly (Post 982991)
Want your thoughts. My partner injured his back and wasn't sure how well he could get up and down the floor but was going to give it a go. He wanted to tell the coaches that he was a bit hobbled do you's think that is necessary?

When did the injury occur? Was there time to call in a replacement? That's probably the best option, for the good of the game. And what level of game was it?

BigCat Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:33am

Coaches want calls in their favor. They don't care if you are hurt or not. Telling them ahead of time comes off to me as "….i might not do a very good job tonight because i'm hurt….give me a break/sympathy."

...And if mistakes are made you have given the coach reason to take a shot…"You knew you were hurt..why the hell didn't you get a sub."

If you can't do the job don't go. If you can then go and work. Coaches aren't entitled to nor do they want an injury report. That's what I would tell somebody who thought it was a good idea.

jTheUmp Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 982995)
When did the injury occur? Was there time to call in a replacement? That's probably the best option, for the good of the game. And what level of game was it?

This... I had this happen to me earlier this season, and we handled it with the "stick the injured guy at permanent trail, I'll run end-to-end" method, since we couldn't get a replacement.

If it's a three-person game, I'd consider just dropping down to two-person if the third guy is having injury issues. Or modify the mechanics slightly... I think you could figure out a way to have the injured guy end up at C after every trip down the court, no matter what happened in the previous possession.

Wildcatwilly Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 982996)
Coaches want calls in their favor. They don't care if you are hurt or not. Telling them ahead of time comes off to me as "….i might not do a very good job tonight because i'm hurt….give me a break/sympathy."

...And if mistakes are made you have given the coach reason to take a shot…"You knew you were hurt..why the hell didn't you get a sub."

If you can't do the job don't go. If you can then go and work. Coaches aren't entitled to nor do they want an injury report. That's what I would tell somebody who thought it was a good idea.

This was my thought process as well. It was a girls district game he had time to find a replacement but he didn't want to give it up 3 man so we put him in the C as much as possible turned out to not be a big issue.

Remington Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 982999)
This... I had this happen to me earlier this season, and we handled it with the "stick the injured guy at permanent trail, I'll run end-to-end" method, since we couldn't get a replacement.

If it's a three-person game, I'd consider just dropping down to two-person if the third guy is having injury issues. Or modify the mechanics slightly... I think you could figure out a way to have the injured guy end up at C after every trip down the court, no matter what happened in the previous possession.

If it is a 3 person game we keep the injured partner in the C as much as possible. The Lead still rotates to officiate competitive post play but will ultimately circle back to the other side as the play transitions down the floor. This happens all the time in collegiate games when you can't get a replacement or the injury happens during the contest. I'd WAY rather have an injured 3rd partner than no 3rd partner.

OrStBballRef Wed Mar 02, 2016 02:09pm

I would NOT mention this to the coaches it already puts one strike against the official and also the crew as a whole before you even tip off. It'll give the benches more ammo to lob your way. Especially if the injured official has to make a key call, right or wrong, by announcing his injury before hand he/she will likely already lose some credibility with the coaches.

Best bet if you can't get a sub in 3 man would be to bury him at the C or go baseline to baseline in 2 man, if the game allows you to (as other posters have stated).

If you get injured though before a game and you know it will be a factor in your ability to move up and down the court you should turn that game back. Playoffs or not it does the game or the crew no good to have an injured official.

LRZ Wed Mar 02, 2016 02:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildcatwilly (Post 983002)
This was my thought process as well. It was a girls district game he had time to find a replacement but he didn't want to give it up 3 man so we put him in the C as much as possible turned out to not be a big issue.

Sounds selfish, in my view, and he risked causing more harm to himself, as well.

Zoochy Wed Mar 02, 2016 02:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 983020)
Sounds selfish, in my view, and he risked causing more harm to himself, as well.

+1
I saw this same situation a few years ago at a Boys District Semi-final. The injured official was an embarrassment to officiating. Tried to stay in the C. More like he stayed in the Trail position. He hovered a step or two around the midcourt line. Blew his whistle about 5 times ALL GAME.

WhistlesAndStripes Wed Mar 02, 2016 02:35pm

Quote:

If this was 3-man, and ESPECIALLY if I knew he had a chance to find a replacement and was being selfish, I'd be on the phone with my assignor letting him know, the situation, and let him know that either I and the other healthy partner run it 2 man, or the other two work 2 man, cause I'm not going to have the crew look like crap just cause someone didn't want to give up a game.:mad::mad::mad:

I'd also have a new block in Arbiter that night.

Freddy Wed Mar 02, 2016 02:54pm

Quote:

It was a girls district game he had time to find a replacement but he didn't want to give it up 3 man so we put him in the C as much as possible . . .

If this had a "Like" button I would not click on it.