The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Weather conditions at Tip-Off (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100992-weather-conditions-tip-off.html)

BDevil15 Sun Feb 28, 2016 02:02pm

Weather conditions at Tip-Off

Hi Guys,
To be honest I haven't had time to look for this answer myself just figured Id throw it out to the experts. I'm a coach(Boo Hiss).

So we have an away playoff game and its warm in the gym but not stifling or unsafe. On the end of the gym where we will play offense in the first half there are a set of double doors in each corner that are wide open. So we are warming up in the cold and you can feel the air moving constantly. Now I am not suggesting that there would be a wind factor but there was a minimum 20 degree difference from one end of the court to the other.

When the officials came over and went through the pregame talk and asked if I had questions I actually had one for a change: "Are those doors staying open all night? Im fine if they stay open all night but I don't want to play offense in the cold and then have them play offense in the warmth in the 2nd half when the doors close."

The officials looked at each other and didn't really know what to say.

So I was wondering if there are any provisions either explicit or implied that prohibit a home field advantage like this or at least something I perceive as an advantage.

I'll come back and say what happened but wondered what others thought or had seen situations similar to this.

Thanks

JRutledge Sun Feb 28, 2016 02:16pm

I have no idea what this has to do with us just like the officials in your game had no idea.

Peace

deecee Sun Feb 28, 2016 02:16pm

If there were no breeze then I can't see it effecting the game at all. The kids are moving so they aren't feeling the difference. But to stop a coach from having something to whine about I would just shut the doors. I figure I would want some cold as when it gets to hot players actually don't do as well as heat wears one down much quicker.

BlueDevilRef Sun Feb 28, 2016 02:20pm

I think he is just asking if there is a reciprocity rule of some kind. I think this probably fits under the home management taking care of the problem but if it were my game, I would try to get the doors closed for the whole game. I don't know if it falls under 2-3 but I would just ask for doors to be closed. Why would you want to freeze as lead every trip down the floor?

Camron Rust Sun Feb 28, 2016 02:21pm

That would certainly be an unusual situation but it would be fully inappropriate for the game management (home team) to change the playing conditions throughout the game unless it was acceptable to both teams. What if they shut the lights off over the end where the visitors were shooting in each half? What if...(the list could go on).

There is nothing explicitly in the rules for the officials here, but actions by game management that unequally influence the game conditions should not be tolerated.

I'm hope they were just trying to bring the temperature down a bit for everyone and were consistent.

JRutledge Sun Feb 28, 2016 02:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 982646)
That would certainly be an unusual situation but it would be fully inappropriate for the game management (home team) to change the playing conditions throughout the game unless it was acceptable to both teams. What if they shut the lights off over the end where the visitors were shooting in each half? What if...(the list could go on).

There is nothing explicitly in the rules for the officials here, but actions by game management that unequally influence the game conditions should not be tolerated.

I'm hope they were just trying to bring the temperature down a bit for everyone and were consistent.

It would have to be pretty extreme for me to get involved in this situation. And just because I feel the doors should be closed does not give me the authority to tell someone I can have the doors closed in the first place. That is something that should be more for the state organization to define. Many buildings have issues with air flow, we cannot control all issues or even know what the issues might be.

Peace

BlueDevilRef Sun Feb 28, 2016 03:08pm

While I agree with Rust that this would be bush league for a team to do, if it was to a point it was freezing me out, I'm talking with the AD to close the doors. I can't stand being cold on the floor.

BillyMac Sun Feb 28, 2016 03:14pm

Is This The Basketball Forum ???

A team always wants to finish the game with the wind at it's back. Wait? I'm being told ... What? Basketball? Not football? Not soccer? Never mind.

Mark Padgett Sun Feb 28, 2016 03:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 982650)
A team always wants to finish the game with the wind at it's back. Wait? I'm being told ... What? Basketball? Not football? Not soccer? Never mind.

Soccer? Isn't that the sport for kids who can't use their hands? :p

BDevil15 Sun Feb 28, 2016 04:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 982643)
I have no idea what this has to do with us just like the officials in your game had no idea.

Peace

The officials did have an idea and agreed with me after talking for a second. The doors were closed and everyone was warm and cozy for the duration.

The other coach didn't argue or anything and it was all peacefully agreed upon. And like I said it wasn't a HUGE problem, but it was something that made me wonder how big a home court advantage could be created through certain conditions.

Thanks to the rest of you who are capable of looking at it as the discussion it was meant to be.

illinoisbluezeb Mon Feb 29, 2016 06:36am

NFHS
SECTION 3 REFEREE’S AUTHORITY The referee shall make decisions on any points not specifically covered in the rules.

Raymond Mon Feb 29, 2016 02:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDevil15 (Post 982655)
The officials did have an idea and agreed with me after talking for a second. The doors were closed and everyone was warm and cozy for the duration.

The other coach didn't argue or anything and it was all peacefully agreed upon. And like I said it wasn't a HUGE problem, but it was something that made me wonder how big a home court advantage could be created through certain conditions.

Thanks to the rest of you who are capable of looking at it as the discussion it was meant to be.

You should have went to game management to begin with.

HokiePaul Wed Mar 02, 2016 08:45am

Seems easy to resolve.

"Coach, I will check with game management"

Then call over the AD/Game manager and say:

"The visitor Coach has a question for you -- could you please check with him. Thanks".

Then move on to start the game.