Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 27, 2016, 03:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Butler @ Georgetown Plays (Video)

Play 1: 3 Point Shot Foul

Play 2: Backcourt Foul called

Play 3: Vertical Defender??

There are some more plays I will post. But a tough game to officiate.

Peace
Old Sat Feb 27, 2016, 03:37pm
Stubborn Member

1. Tough call to make, but looked like there was contact on the shooter's arm before he returned to the floor.

2. Perhaps I'm biased, growing up a Syracuse fan and hating Georgetown, but it looked like the defender moved into the dribbler's path. The defender gained LGP, but when the dribbler was going to go around him he moved sideways/towards the dribbler.

3. Ugh! I hate when players react like that to this play. The defender's arms were up and out in front of him at the time of contact (aka outside of his verticality). He pulled them straight up after the contact.
Old Sat Feb 27, 2016, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

1. Good defense, hard to see for sure, but probably a CC. HTBT, T had a better look than any of us did on the video.

2. Arm extended and displaced, CC. Unusual that deep in the backcourt, though, and so T punched the wrong way. I'd be lying if I said I've never done that.

3. Not vertical, CC. Wonder if he gave the Frankenstein signal when he reported?

Good stuff, thanks for posting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Feb 27, 2016, 03:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Round 2: (Video)

Play 4:

Play 5:

Play 6:

A few more to come as well.

Peace
Old Sat Feb 27, 2016, 04:06pm
Stubborn Member

4. Looked like the defender got LGP, so he did nothing wrong, therefore it's not a blocking foul. I suppose you could have a PC foul, as the dribbler did make slight contact with the defender's torso, but I probably would have called it the way this guy did.

5. While the foul that was called is fine with me (at least if he called the foul for contact with the dribbler's left arm), it looked like the dribbler could be called for a foul the way he held off the defender with his non-dribbling arm.

6. Good call. The G-Town player tried to push through the Butler player to get the loose ball.
Old Sat Feb 27, 2016, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

4. INC. IMO, defender was moving toward the ball handler at the last second. Then ball goes OOB on offense, so possession consequence is a factor. So I believe there should have been a blocking foul here. That said, I have the benefit of replay, and this was a very close play. If the L judged that LGP had been maintained, then I like the no call with the subsequent ball OOB to Butler.

5. CC, and I would have had it for the jersey hold before the reach-around. No disrespect to GT for attempting a steal here, but there was definitely a foul in the process.

6. CC. No brainer. Admire the GT hustle, but that's a foul.
Old Sat Feb 27, 2016, 04:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Round 3 (Video) Final Round from this game.

Play 7:

Play 8:

Play 9:

Peace
Old Sat Feb 27, 2016, 04:49pm
Stubborn Member

7. Looked like he still had control of the ball when a travel should have been called.

8. Damn that's a tough one. I'm not convinced the defender, after getting LGP, didn't move sideways and towards the dribbler who tried to go around him.

9. I think the G-Town player/dribbler held the arm of the Butler player, but would you call a hold on him? I honestly don't know, but I don't think the defender here did anything wrong.
Old Sat Feb 27, 2016, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

7. CNC. Defender caused loss of control before any travel occurred. Lead communicated this immediately.

8. IC. Defender established LGP and was maintaining it when contact occurred.

9. IC. The GT player had the Butler player's arm locked up the entire time. I don't mind the initial no-call on the GT bump, but after that it was all one prolonged hold on the GT player. Patient whistle, sure, but once you realize a call has to be made, and two officials get together to discuss it, I'm a bit befuddled that the call wasn't against GT.*

* Note: I find that this is something I need to work on, i.e. these deceptive holds by ball handlers. They are hard to catch. In video breakdown this year I noticed a missed a few, so that will be a summer project for me.
Old Sat Feb 27, 2016, 05:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Play #9: Gotta get the rebounding foul on White 0 for holding his opponent.
Old Sun Feb 28, 2016, 02:14am
Official Forum Member

Play 1: 3 Point Shot Foul...I've watched it over and over and can't find the contact. I think he just shot a turkey. I just don't see a foul. I am not saying there wasn't one, but I'm not seeing it.

Play 2: Backcourt Foul called....great call. LGP established. Laterally moved legally.

Play 3: Vertical Defender??....great call, defender no where near vertical.

Play 4: Defender had LGP and, if moving, was even moving away. The offense cut back inside....which should rarely be a foul. Good no call on the contact.

Play 5: Good call. He was being held on the left side giving the defender leverage to get to the ball.

Play 6: Another good call....could have had it a couple of ways. Most prominently, 32 dove through 0's legs knocking him off his feet and preventing him from a chance at the ball.

Play 7: looks good. #30 got his hands in there. I'd have a held ball before I'd have a travel on that, but the ball did come out as a result.

Play 8: I was ready to go with a charge on first view but on the 2nd view, I changed to a block....barely. Player had LGP but shooter got just a little to the side of the defender and the defender was moving towards the shooter at the time of contact.

Play 9: If talking about the contact after the rebound, tough break, but foul on black 21. He just got caught in a bad spot. Even before, black 21 never had good position for that rebound. He was creating contact from behind the entire time.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sun Feb 28, 2016 at 02:16am.
Old Sun Feb 28, 2016, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

I was watching this game live and definitely had a lot of interesting plays in it.
1. Don’t see anything on #30 here – a little contact on #4 hand to hand, but not what the official called
2. PC – good call
3. Not vertical – good call
4. I think this is called a block more often than not. Thought he stuck the knee into the offensive player a lit bit at the end. Certainly close, so I can see it either way.
5. Honestly I thought and still think the offensive player hooks the defender which was the cause for the contact on the left side of the body. I thought the poke was clean. Offensive or nothing.
6. Good call – Every time I see a play like that my knee hurts
7. Probably would’ve saved my whistle for something else – result of the play was fine
8. I thought a PC live while watching. The overhead view was the best I thought and after seeing that I’m leaning more towards a block. But really difficult call.
9. I see Butler playing sticking his arm where it didn’t belong the whole way. What’s the GT player supposed to do after he gets the ball – run down the court with one arm up in the air until they’re separated?
Old Sun Feb 28, 2016, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Curiously on #1 how many viewed the actions by the player as unsporsmanlike?
Old Sun Feb 28, 2016, 10:15am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindolbat View Post

9.I see Butler playing sticking his arm where it didn’t belong the whole way. What’s the GT player supposed to do after he gets the ball – run down the court with one arm up in the air until they’re separated?
Before that happens GT #0 has grabbed Blue's arm by the bicep and locked him down.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Sun Feb 28, 2016, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Curiously on #1 how many viewed the actions by the player as unsporsmanlike?
Most definitely t worthy in hs. Seen it called in ncaa too. Might have gotten away with cause of time and situation in game.