The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Washington @ Oregon State Last Second Shot (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100970-washington-oregon-state-last-second-shot.html)

JRutledge Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:16am

Washington @ Oregon State Last Second Shot

What do you have on this play?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IZWatna-uxI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

frezer11 Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:49am

Travel, but should've been made irrelevant by the clock starting approximately 1/2 a second late.

Camron Rust Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:55am

Clock started late....about 0.6 seconds. Shot was released at less than that on the clock. No basket.

And he traveled...about 4 steps after catching the ball to shoot.

My wife, looking at the screen at the same time even said so....because it was so obvious.

bob jenkins Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 982333)
Travel, but should've been made irrelevant by the clock starting approximately 1/2 a second late.

Assuming the clock on the display is accurate.

frezer11 Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 982337)
Assuming the clock on the display is accurate.

True, and I think it is, based on the fact that you can hear the horn go right as the clock hits 0.00

Altor Thu Feb 25, 2016 01:55pm

My iPhone stopwatch (admittedly not a legal stopwatch for monitor reviews) consistently shows 3.57 - 3.65 seconds from first touch to release.

OrStBballRef Thu Feb 25, 2016 02:16pm

Clearly a travel...caught it in real time as well on the replays.

I was going to post this play but for a different reason. I've been to a couple of college camps and several folks there have said some assignors don't want a little travel or carry etc...type of call in the last second of this type of game. Logic being is that in those type of situations to let the players decide and not a little violation from the ref to decide the game.

Don't necessarily agree with it and I was wondering if others heard the same thing at other camps?

Also wouldn't the trail in this start the clock via the precision timing device on his belt? The table wouldn't start the clock in this situation right?

Back to my original point even if this was a 'little travel' that some assignors may not want called it was clear as day he took multiple steps and those steps allowed for an advantage to let him get the shot off. I would still call this in any game I worked, but the trail was still way behind the play.

The most important point though is the result of this play may FINALLY allow me to fill in Oregon State on a NCAA tournament pool!

ballgame99 Thu Feb 25, 2016 02:22pm

Wow, lead is looking right at it too. That travel has to be gotten in that situation IMO. I can see the new trail passing because he is so far behind the play and can't really see when the dribble ends, but this situation with the lead looking right at it?!

johnny d Thu Feb 25, 2016 02:46pm

By rule, the play has to be reviewed at the monitor. Was that done? If so, I would like to know what the officials came up with using the stopwatch, as it is clear the game clock started late on this play.

OrStBballRef Thu Feb 25, 2016 02:54pm

I watched it in real time. The officials did go to the table, but the review was completed rather quickly. ESPN didn't show the officials at the monitor as they were focusing on the shot and the mob of students on the court...UW also got off the court rather quickly too.

They concluded pretty quickly the shot was released before the horn. Now as to whether the clock started on time.....

Mark Padgett Thu Feb 25, 2016 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrStBballRef (Post 982363)
I was going to post this play but for a different reason. I've been to a couple of college camps and several folks there have said some assignors don't want a little travel or carry etc...type of call in the last second of this type of game. Logic being is that in those type of situations to let the players decide and not a little violation from the ref to decide the game.

We've been through a million discussions on this point. If a player commits a violation and the ref doesn't call it because he (or she) "wants the players to decide the game" then actually he (or she) is deciding the game - not the players - by not making a call that that is a standard call.

On the other hand, I thought it was cool that Oregon State won the game since one of my granddaughters is a student there (freshman).

https://img0.etsystatic.com/111/0/92...73060_cndq.jpg

AremRed Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:48pm

Not sure why the Lead is counting this shot.

Camron Rust Fri Feb 26, 2016 01:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 982417)
Not sure why the Lead is counting this shot.

Perhaps because it was a throwin with 3.3 seconds from 94' away and the crew knew the T would have very little chance of getting a good look at the shot (and potentially the C as well) so they made plans to have the L cover anything well into the FC.

JetMetFan Fri Feb 26, 2016 02:16am

For those of you on the NCAAM's side of things, please let us know if Art Hyland posts anything about this play. I have a feeling he might, both from the travel aspect and the timing aspect...especially since the timing memo only came out last week.

JetMetFan Fri Feb 26, 2016 02:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrStBballRef (Post 982363)
wouldn't the trail in this start the clock via the precision timing device on his belt? The table wouldn't start the clock in this situation right?

The timer should serve as a backup regardless. Two people starting the timer is better than none. As the NCAAW's SRE is known to point out, PTS isn't perfect. Neither is a human at the table but their reaction won't be affected by a low battery or a glitch in a radio signal.