The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 08:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

We're there to manage a game, though, and sometimes "not being there" for a few seconds serves to de-escalate situations. So does quickly putting the ball back in play.

The technical foul isn't the first or only tool in the toolbox.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
We're there to manage a game, though, and sometimes "not being there" for a few seconds serves to de-escalate situations. So does quickly putting the ball back in play.

I don't disagree with that at all, and I'm not saying I hunt for eye contact with a guy. But I'm not going to avoid eye contact all game with everyone just to make these guys who think they're in the NBA happy.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 09:56am
Stubborn Member

A lot of things are said and done in the heat of the moment, and unless those things are entirely out of line, I don't think there's a problem trying to avoid them. Not making eye contact could do that. Take the following examples (which come just off the top of my head, so might not be the best cases)...

1. While heading to the table to report a shooting foul against Team A, out of the corner of your eye you can see the head coach for Team A looking at you. By the look you can tell that he's not happy with the call, but he's not doing anything else like yelling or waving his arms angrily.

In this case I don't see a problem with looking at the coach and letting him know that you'll be there to speak with him after reporting the foul.

2. While heading to the table to report a shooting foul against Team A, out of the corner of your eye you can see the head coach for Team A angrily looking at you and shaking his head.

In this case it might be a good idea to avoid looking back at the coach, as his anger could increase resulting in him doing or saying something that any official would tag him for. The angry look and shaking of his head, in and of itself, is not t-worthy in my opinion, so why do anything that could simply "add fuel to the fire"? If he wants to talk about it then he can call me over in a respectful manner. I'm not going to react to him while he's acting like a child throwing a temper tantrum.

3. While heading to the table to report a shooting foul against Team A, out of the corner of your eye you can see the head coach for Team A has an angry look on his face, and at the same time he's yelling "you've got to be kidding me" while waiving his arms wildly in the air in exasperation of the call.

In this case I'm reporting the foul, then calling a TF on the coach. I don't have to look at him, as he should know that he stepped over the line. If he really wants to talk to me, then he's going to wait until he calms down and calls me over in a respectful manner. IMO, looking at him while calling the tech could push him over the edge and lead to another tech/ejection, and I want to give him a chance to avoid that.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

You guys are providing great examples with regard to a coach. The OP was about intramural/wreck players. There are many liberties that I'll extend to the former that I won't allow for the latter.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 10:16am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
I don't disagree with that at all, and I'm not saying I hunt for eye contact with a guy. But I'm not going to avoid eye contact all game with everyone just to make these guys who think they're in the NBA happy.
"just to make these guys who think they're in the NBA happy"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I sense a bit of a shoulder chip in this phrase.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"just to make these guys who think they're in the NBA happy"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I sense a bit of a shoulder chip in this phrase.
You're probably right about that. I've been doing wreck league all season and those guys are wearing me out. They've been watching too much NBA and think it's okay to act like the superstars they see whining about every call. I'm well aware that I'll miss many calls over the course of the season, but I am 100% certain I don't miss every single call. The league I ref for does a piss poor job of discouraging technicals (they have to sit out 1 min of game time, and a half if they are ejected-- no limit to ejections or techs over the course of the season) so I guess my frustration with that is starting to boil over. I'm to the point now that we let them know in the pregame meeting (this mandate was put into place halfway through the season because they've had 2x the number of T's that they had last year) that it's basically an automatic technical if they're whining about a call.

My leeway in a HS game for a coach is substantially higher than that for some guy who plays once a week and pisses and moans and stares me down about a travel call because he thinks a eurostep means he gets 4 steps.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 10:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
You're probably right about that. I've been doing wreck league all season and those guys are wearing me out. They've been watching too much NBA and think it's okay to act like the superstars they see whining about every call. I'm well aware that I'll miss many calls over the course of the season, but I am 100% certain I don't miss every single call. The league I ref for does a piss poor job of discouraging technicals (they have to sit out 1 min of game time, and a half if they are ejected-- no limit to ejections or techs over the course of the season) so I guess my frustration with that is starting to boil over. I'm to the point now that we let them know in the pregame meeting (this mandate was put into place halfway through the season because they've had 2x the number of T's that they had last year) that it's basically an automatic technical if they're whining about a call.

My leeway in a HS game for a coach is substantially higher than that for some guy who plays once a week and pisses and moans and stares me down about a travel call because he thinks a eurostep means he gets 4 steps.
One reason I simply don't do rec ball. I'd give Ts out like candy thrown from a Halloween parade float.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

I won't do it next year, but I have a wedding/honeymoon as well as a trip to the east coast for a marathon to pay for this summer so I'm basically taking anything that anyone throws at me.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I won't do it next year, but I have a wedding/honeymoon as well as a trip to the east coast for a marathon to pay for this summer so I'm basically taking anything that anyone throws at me.
Ha, If your the one getting married you will never be able to quit…. You'll just be paying for something else next year…and the year after….and after….

Last edited by BigCat; Fri Feb 26, 2016 at 10:57am.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 11:18am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbell89 View Post
Hi everyone, new to the forum - wish I'd found it earlier!

A general question. I've been officiating collegiate intramural basketball for six years. I recently changed schools and have noticed that players are not only talking back more often, but they are talking back *to me* more than to any of the other officials. I've issued six unsportsmanlike techs in the last eight games. My crewmates have not issued any.

I generally get good reviews from observers and take officiating seriously. However, I'm concerned that there might be something I am doing to draw the talking back from players. It may be relevant that my demeanor is usually the most "intense" on my crew - in the sense that I verbalize my calls most loudly, my mechanics are the most rigid, etc.

Has anyone else ever experienced a situation similar to this? Even if not, any advice about how I can help relieve some of the talking back? I know this isn't a job for the thin-skinned, but it has started to become grating.

Thanks in advance for your help!
If the people giving you games like what they see, then I wouldn't worry about the players so much. You're new, they'll adjust as they realize you don't take their crap. They're like fourth graders with a substitute teacher.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...as well as a trip to the east coast for a marathon...
Stop bragging!!

What race?
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have a wedding ... so I'm basically taking anything that anyone throws at me.
Good practice for the future.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
A lot of things are said and done in the heat of the moment, and unless those things are entirely out of line, I don't think there's a problem trying to avoid them. Not making eye contact could do that. Take the following examples (which come just off the top of my head, so might not be the best cases)...

1. While heading to the table to report a shooting foul against Team A, out of the corner of your eye you can see the head coach for Team A looking at you. By the look you can tell that he's not happy with the call, but he's not doing anything else like yelling or waving his arms angrily.

In this case I don't see a problem with looking at the coach and letting him know that you'll be there to speak with him after reporting the foul.
There are exception, but the vast majority of the time if a coach is staring me down he's going to be ignored. I'll manipulate a coach into showing at least some respect. I'm not going to reward a coach for being a clown with the wonderful words that always come out of my mouth.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2016, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Stop bragging!!

What race?
Mad Marathon in Vermont, then hopefully Boston the following April.
Old Sat Feb 27, 2016, 08:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Yep...keep the game moving. Don't let moments linger.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Sat Feb 27, 2016 at 08:09pm.