The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 06:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

It is that time of year....I have a question for everyone

Well we are getting our playoff assignments and in the boys side at least I am starting to hear the rumblings of who is and who is not getting assignments.

I have a lot of officials that will ask me why they did or did not get a certain assignment. Usually their complaint are about how good someone is over another person and why they did not get picked over another official.

My question is for those of any level, what does it mean to be better than another official in your mind? If you think someone should be picked over another person, is your criteria simply being a better play caller? Or do you think you have to be be a better game manager? What about fitness level? Or is it being the younger guy as opposed to the older guy?

What are the common complaints you hear about post season assignments and why do you feel some guys get picked over others. I also want a deeper conversation than the "ole boy's network" and would like to hear specifics.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

There's plenty for everyone!!

Last edited by WhistlesAndStripes; Mon Feb 22, 2016 at 06:14pm.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 06:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

I stay away from those conversations. I'm starting to reap rewards of paying attention to the habits of successful officials, and worrying about myself and what I need to do.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

I think it's simple. There are many good officials and limited spots. As long as someone is good and has the track record, unfortunately it's tough to bring in new blood. It's just the reality.

I also had an assignor say to me this past year when it comes to new guys that were "better" versus the old guys that may have lost a step. He said sometimes dealing with "the devil you know" is a safer option for him, coaches and everyone involved.

The gist is just do your best at what you can control and when you get the opportunity don't f@#$ up.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 11:28pm
wife loves the goatee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I stay away from those conversations. I'm starting to reap rewards of paying attention to the habits of successful officials, and worrying about myself and what I need to do.

This
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Be honest. If they argue with what you tell them, stop. If they ask, they have to be able to accept the truth (as you see it). The ones who want to improve, will take it and work to improve their weaknesses. Those who are perennial complainers, will blow it off and reinforce your evaluations. You don't want that type anyway.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2016, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

+1

I had an official ask me last week, "so how do you get to Richmond (where the state semis and finals are held in VA)?" I replied, "I have no idea. I just show up to the game's I'm assigned, try to do my best, observe others, and try to keep getting better." I did, btw, also mention the VHSL evaluation camp.

But I hear people complaining about not getting certain assignments, talking about other officials who are getting them over them, etc. I can only assume some of the same people are saying things about me behind my back.

Control what you can control and don't worry about who thinks what unless they are position to make decisions affecting what games you get.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2016, 06:27am

What BadNewsRef said!

Control what you can control. Stay away from the gossip.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2016, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

The season starts and ends a little earlier in Texas than in many other places, and tonight I have the good fortune of working in my 4th playoff game this post-season. Our association works hard to be one of the most respected in the state, so we tend to get games far outside our general region in the state. Last Friday I also had the good fortune to be chosen to work a game 300 miles away (there are about 4 associations between ours and that game, but ours was requested - the schools playing in the game get a choice and if they can't agree, the UIL chooses for them). The R for that game was the association president and my other partner was familiar with board activity as well, so I learned a lot about what goes on behind the scenes on that long drive. There are a lot of factors that go into deciding who gets post-season games - our ranking in the association, our availability, our evaluations, and the coaches also have a say. There are also a lot of people who complain because they think they deserve something they are not getting. I don't know why I've received 4 games this post-season - I had a great regular season and my assignor thinks I have earned them, one way or another. Maybe I was just available, as I'm pretty certain not many people would be for a game 300 miles away on a Friday. All you can do is work hard to be the best you can be and if you earn it, enjoy every minute of it. It's a lot of fun...
Old Tue Feb 23, 2016, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Politics.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2016, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
The season starts and ends a little earlier in Texas than in many other places, and tonight I have the good fortune of working in my 4th playoff game this post-season. Our association works hard to be one of the most respected in the state, so we tend to get games far outside our general region in the state. Last Friday I also had the good fortune to be chosen to work a game 300 miles away (there are about 4 associations between ours and that game, but ours was requested - the schools playing in the game get a choice and if they can't agree, the UIL chooses for them). The R for that game was the association president and my other partner was familiar with board activity as well, so I learned a lot about what goes on behind the scenes on that long drive. There are a lot of factors that go into deciding who gets post-season games - our ranking in the association, our availability, our evaluations, and the coaches also have a say. There are also a lot of people who complain because they think they deserve something they are not getting. I don't know why I've received 4 games this post-season - I had a great regular season and my assignor thinks I have earned them, one way or another. Maybe I was just available, as I'm pretty certain not many people would be for a game 300 miles away on a Friday. All you can do is work hard to be the best you can be and if you earn it, enjoy every minute of it. It's a lot of fun...
300 MILES?!? My God man, they should fly you there for that one. What was your travel reimbursement if you don't mind me asking?
Old Tue Feb 23, 2016, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
300 MILES?!? My God man, they should fly you there for that one. What was your travel reimbursement if you don't mind me asking?
I actually would have flown if I didn't like my partners enough to ride in a car for 7 hours. The mileage for playoffs here is 54 cents per mile for one car, 41 cents per mile for 2 cars, and 32 cents per mile for 3 cars. Plus over 150 miles gets a meal reimbursement. We took one car and myself and the other passenger paid for gas and the driver agreed to split the whole mileage cost 3 ways. So the check will be pretty nice even though the game fee is only $65. That distance isn't common for playoffs, but we commonly have games around 100-150 miles for playoffs.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2016, 09:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

The truth is, you can't let getting or not getting particular assignments define your career. I can't work 50+ games and let that year be defined by one game I didn't get to work.

I worked state two years ago. I wasn't better then than I am now and it does no good to look at the people who are going this year and ask "what do they have that I don't?" Others could've asked that about me 2 years ago.

I know what I value in an official when I hire them. Only the people that make those deep playoff assignments knows what they value.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2016, 09:31am
Archaic Power Monger

It is that time of year....I have a question for everyone

Knowing Texas, there probably wasn't a worthwhile flight over that distance. That's not that unusual really. Not ideal but it happens.

BNR nailed it. I used to get really wrapped up in these things and found it doesn't help. I've found a sense of peace with being focused on my own individual improvement and looking at what other officials do only in how that can contribute to that improvement.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2016, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Knowing Texas, there probably wasn't a worthwhile flight over that distance. That's not that unusual really. Not ideal but it happens.
I work for an airline so it would have cost me nothing to fly. We have another playoff game tonight that is 500 miles away (Pecos, TX) and I don't know who they were able to get to go there from Dallas on a Tuesday. I would have volunteered but the flights to the closest airport were not going to get me there unless I left here early this morning and spent the day there. Not worth it. But that will be a nice fat check for someone.