The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Video Request: SMU/UConn (ESPN2) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100920-video-request-smu-uconn-espn2.html)

Raymond Thu Feb 18, 2016 09:41pm

Video Request: SMU/UConn (ESPN2)

Since we are talking about travels:

12:50 of the 2nd half, is this a travel?

If someone can pull this up, thanks.

JRutledge Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:18am

Here is the play.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 981556)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BPG9_14G3w4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

DrPete Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:38am

#44 was in the way from that camera angle, but he signaled a travel so it must be! It was hard to see if the dribbler's right foot shuffled before he picked up his left foot and started a dribble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigCat Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 981556)

Yes. Travel. Left foot becomes the pivot and he lifts it before releasing ball on dribble.

just another ref Fri Feb 19, 2016 01:02am

If you want to see one that wasn't called, check out Ingram for Duke, 15:45 of the first half in the NC game.

jpgc99 Fri Feb 19, 2016 01:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 981568)
Yes. Travel. Left foot becomes the pivot and he lifts it before releasing ball on dribble.

Agree. But it's tight.

JRutledge Fri Feb 19, 2016 01:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 981571)
If you want to see one that wasn't called, check out Ingram for Duke, 15:45 of the first half in the NC game.

OK and your point is what?

Peace

#olderthanilook Fri Feb 19, 2016 07:38am

Yep. Left foot is pivot. A1 lifts it from the floor before releasing ball for dribble. Not sure if the calling official can see the status of the ball, though. He must have since he made the call.

Raymond Fri Feb 19, 2016 08:22am

I found the play interesting b/c it's still not clear to me if he traveled, but on the very next play down the court a UConn player obviously traveled (IMO) on a jump stop and scored with no call.

And the RA rule was put into place specifically for this type of play, where a secondary is only trying to get in the way near the basket, but is not playing any real defense.

just another ref Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 981574)
OK and your point is what?

Peace

We were discussing travels which some of us feel are obvious, but are not called. This is an example of one, if you care to post it.

JRutledge Fri Feb 19, 2016 02:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 981581)
I found the play interesting b/c it's still not clear to me if he traveled, but on the very next play down the court a UConn player obviously traveled (IMO) on a jump stop and scored with no call.

Is this the play?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BTrLe0Az2q4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Raymond Fri Feb 19, 2016 02:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 981568)

To me he lifts his left foot simultaneous with releasing the ball for the dribble, but I can understand the call. I wouldn't really question it much except for the following play that is a clear travel that leads to a basket but is not called.

Thanks for pulling up the plays Jeff.

BigCat Fri Feb 19, 2016 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 981636)
To me he lifts his left foot simultaneous with releasing the ball for the dribble, but I can understand the call. I wouldn't really question it much except for the following play that is a clear travel that leads to a basket but is not called.

Thanks for pulling up the plays Jeff.

Yep, therein lies the problem. Doesn't do the game any good if only one guy is calling travel.

so cal lurker Fri Feb 19, 2016 03:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 981641)
Yep, therein lies the problem. Doesn't do the game any good if only one guy is calling travel.

Watching JV games this year, this was my biggest gripe: two officials calling a different game -- whether travels, carries, three seconds or post contact. Very hard for players to adjust to that. (To be fair, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the refs in most games.)

Bad Zebra Fri Feb 19, 2016 04:38pm

That one seems pretty darn close to me. It was so close to me that I'd be apt to let that one go (full disclosure, I'm a UConn fan but I can see why SMU would hate this one). I'm not convinced the left foot was actually the pivot foot OR that the calling official had a good view of his left foot.