Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 17, 2016, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor View Post
Rule citation?
NFHS Case Book 2.10.1 Situation G

A1 has been awarded two free throws. Erroneously, the ball is allowed to remain in play after A1 misses on the first attempt. A2 rebounds the miss and tosses the ball through the basket. B1 secures the ball and inbounds it. Play continues until a foul is ruled on A2 as B is passing the ball in B’s frontcourt.
RULING: The goal by A2 counts, but the error of not awarding A1 a second free throw is no longer correctable. Since the ball remained in play on the missed free throw, the clock started and the ball became dead when the goal was scored. When the ball became live on the subsequent throw-in, the time period for correction had expired. (2-10)
Old Wed Feb 17, 2016, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post

3 scenarios, 2 outcomes

1) The officials announce 2 shots and play as such, and B1 rebounds thinking it was only 1 and goes down and scores a basket while everyone else is just staring at this kid run like a spaz down the court to score.
OUTCOME: Make a joke to make the kid feel better because he's embarrassed enough, don't score the 2 and shoot the second FT as normal.

2) The officials announce 2 shots and play as such, except ALL kids brain fart and play the rebound. B1 goes down and score.
OUTCOME: If the officials didn't stop play before the score then the score counts and we go CE with 1 shot and no one on line and then resume at POE.

3) Officials announce 1&1 and things play out like described.
OUTCOME: See outcome of #2.

In any of the scenarios the officials screwed up.
I think this best describes it, though I certainly would not rule out a T on B1 in scenario 1, especially if I blow my whistle and he doesn't stop. Regardless of what the officials announce, it depends on how the kids (and officials for that matter) react after the 1st free throw.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
THAT'S NOT A CE.

3 scenarios, 2 outcomes

1) The officials announce 2 shots and play as such, and B1 rebounds thinking it was only 1 and goes down and scores a basket while everyone else is just staring at this kid run like a spaz down the court to score.
OUTCOME: Make a joke to make the kid feel better because he's embarrassed enough, don't score the 2 and shoot the second FT as normal.

2) The officials announce 2 shots and play as such, except ALL kids brain fart and play the rebound. B1 goes down and score.
OUTCOME: If the officials didn't stop play before the score then the score counts and we go CE with 1 shot and no one on line and then resume at POE.

3) Officials announce 1&1 and things play out like described.
OUTCOME: See outcome of #2.

In any of the scenarios the officials screwed up.
#2 you don't score it because it's dead ball. Officials announced 2 shots. Officials administered the play like it was two shots. If they "played as such" then they never chopped the clock in. I don't see why all kids brain farting and one kid brain farting would make a difference for whether you count the basket or not.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
I guess my only question/comment is how does a crew of 2 or 3 guys allow this to happen? Some of the situations that are asked about just blow my mind. How does this stuff happen?
Even the people at the table were lost on this one too.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
#2 you don't score it because it's dead ball. Officials announced 2 shots. Officials administered the play like it was two shots. If they "played as such" then they never chopped the clock in. I don't see why all kids brain farting and one kid brain farting would make a difference for whether you count the basket or not.
The basket counts. It doesn't matter what is announced pin this situation. It doesn't matter if the official chopped in time. The timer could have started the clock on his own. What matters is that the officials did not stop play when the first shot was rebounded. Presumably did not blow their whistle. "Allowed play to continue." The kids werent the only ones "brain farting."

(I do see now that he says officials "play as such." If they are playing it as two shots they will be trying to stop play and i would agree with you. If they don't try to stop play after first FT... "allow it to continue" --they aren't playing it as two shots. The scenario is a bit off….)

Last edited by BigCat; Thu Feb 18, 2016 at 12:43pm.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Shoot the second free throw with nobody on the line and then award the ball back to A.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Chopping the clock has nothing to do with it. If the officials weren't trying to stop the play and the kids go down and score the basket counts.

I do admit I cannot imagine 2 officials playing this as 2 FT's and then allowing the play to continue as described however these 3 scenarios seem to cover the possible outcomes.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
The basket counts. It doesn't matter what is announced. It doesn't matter if the official chopped in time. The timer could have started the clock on his own. What matters is that the officials did not stop play when the first shot was rebounded. Presumably did not blow their whistle. "Allowed play to continue." The kids werent the only ones "brain farting."

(I do see now that he says officials "play as such." If they are playing it as two shots they will be trying to stop play and i would agree with you. If they don't try to stop play after first FT... "allow it to continue" --they aren't playing it as two shots. The scenario is a bit off….)
Just because an official couldn't stop play doesn't mean you're counting the shot. Maybe one of them did blow their whistle? "The officials announce 2 shots and play as such" doesn't sound like a CE. Just because the timer starts the clock doesn't mean you can't put time back up and say it wasn't live ball because it was erroneously started.

The OP is different compared to #2. There has to be missing information because "awarded 2 shots" makes me think the officials said there were to be 2 shots given. I have no clue how you go from there to all the officials forgetting there was a second shot then finally remembering after B makes a shot.

I'm not counting points during a dead ball. If the officials erroneously let live ball happen that's a different story.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just because an official couldn't stop play doesn't mean you're counting the shot. Maybe one of them did blow their whistle? "The officials announce 2 shots and play as such" doesn't sound like a CE. Just because the timer starts the clock doesn't mean you can't put time back up and say it wasn't live ball because it was erroneously started.

The OP is different compared to #2. There has to be missing information because "awarded 2 shots" makes me think the officials said there were to be 2 shots given. I have no clue how you go from there to all the officials forgetting there was a second shot then finally remembering after B makes a shot.

I'm not counting points during a dead ball. If the officials erroneously let live ball happen that's a different story.
See my post above that i added to… Deecee said the "officials didn't stop play". I take that to mean they didn't try. (if they did kids would have stopped). He also said the officials "play as such" (like it is 2 shots). If they play it as two shots they would have tried and the kids would have stopped…. Scenario he poses is off.

If they did try to stop play then i agree with you no basket. If they did not try to stop play--"allowed it to continue" and B1 scored the basket would count.

Last edited by BigCat; Thu Feb 18, 2016 at 12:57pm.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2016, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
See my post above that i added to… Deecee said the "officials didn't stop play". I take that to mean they didn't try. (if they did kids would have stopped). He also said the officials "play as such" (like it is 2 shots). If they play it as two shots they would have tried and the kids would have stopped…. Scenario he poses is off.

If they did try to stop play then i agree with you no basket. If they did not try to stop play--"allowed it to continue" and B1 scored the basket would count.
Fair enough, I agree.