The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
I should also add that where I'm at, for men's rec league, we get 3 games a night at $35 per game. Not bad for 3 hours of babysitting adults.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not bad. I'd sign up for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 07:10am
Esteemed Forum Member

With Apologies To Mr. Grinch ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Not bad. I'd sign up for that.
I wouldn't touch that with a thirty-nine-and-a-half foot pole
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Now the losing coach decides to get his money's worth with us, dropping 2 f-bombs in my direction in the process. A coach of 8th graders, mind you.

All that for $25.

Next youth games....probably November.
Happen to file a report or notify league officials about this guy? Surely that's not what they are looking for in representing their league.... I would like to think there would be a good chance that this kind of behavior would end a coach's season real quick and I know my kid would no longer be playing for him.

Especially knowing that the game itself was officiated well and the coach had no excuse for such surly behavior
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 11:29am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
You can come to Northern VA too

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
You can make 40 per game? I need to drive up to Chicago.
Our youth leagues run anywhere from $26 (Rec, mostly untrained officials) to $42 (CYA, trained officials).
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't do an unsanctioned game for anything less than $100/hr. I just have no patience or desire to want to babysit adults anymore, or deal with Pat Riley's wannabes at the 5th grade level.

The only AAU summer ball I may do pay at least $25/game and even then I try and limit my off season ball to less than 20 games. This doesn't include anything that may happen at camp if I do go.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, $18 for youth nightmares?! Forget it. I wouldn't even drive by the gym for that much.

Around here, Catholic Youth Organization (CYO, school/parish-type) games pay $30. Even in tiny gyms where 3rd/4th graders play, they pay $25.

More talented/structured intercity teams (5th-8th grade) pay $35.

HS rec leagues featuring kids who can't make the HS team and just want to play pay $25-30.

I often leave all of these games feeling it's absolutely not worth it (for all of the standard reasons regarding fans/coaches), so I can't imagine if the pay were even lower.

Feel for ya, Missouri!

As for leagues/games that use fake officials, I've dropped that. In the modern climate of parents, coaches and players who have no sense of the game, and/or sportsmanship, you absolutely cannot take the risk of using fake officials or those incapable of "taking care of business." You're just asking for trouble. And that's trouble I want no part of. There's already enough out there as it is.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2016, 08:33pm
High Five Master

Thanks for the pity y'all. I'm not sure what teams pay here for leagues but maybe it is less than other areas. I don't know. I would like to make more for sure. I don't do adults anymore but that is bc there is only one place that I've ever done it and the long standing partner there is HORRIBLE. And he is always the partner. I almost walked off last time so I'll just not do that anymore.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

I don't work off-season basketball. I'd rather stand on a baseball field when it's 90 degrees than run up and down a court for 8 games and barely make anything for it.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 01:54am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
If you're working for more $$, must be feeder ball?
I have worked middle school games for that amount. But mostly it is not worth my time or the money. The behavior of the adults is for the birds.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 01:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I don't work off-season basketball. I'd rather stand on a baseball field when it's 90 degrees than run up and down a court for 8 games and barely make anything for it.
When I worked baseball I was just the opposite. For one I know my basketball game will not get cancelled. Baseball games might get cancelled based on what happened two days ago. If I am going to leave my house I would like to know I have something I am leaving for.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 10:03am
High Five Master

Quote:

I don't do it a lot. Mainly just the Fieldhouse bc it's close to home and the staff there does a decent job. I only work for your dad whenever he gets in a bind. I really don't like adult league. At least with kids, they don't make it such a big deal. I try to do some basketball in summer just to keep a different perspective from constant fast pitch. It has helped keep me from burning out by end of fast pitch in fall.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
I don't do it a lot. Mainly just the Fieldhouse bc it's close to home and the staff there does a decent job. I only work for your dad whenever he gets in a bind. I really don't like adult league. At least with kids, they don't make it such a big deal. I try to do some basketball in summer just to keep a different perspective from constant fast pitch. It has helped keep me from burning out by end of fast pitch in fall.
I can see that about fastpitch softball. I would not want to work travel baseball for an entire summer before the real season started. I would be burnt out by the time the season started.

I'm in no way criticizing anyone who works basketball in the off season. It's just that the school season is long enough, so I'm ready for it to be done by the time March rolls around.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

We're around $25 a game here for youth tourneys and wreck league.

As some might recall, this is the first year I've worked adult wreck league. One of the guys that I worked with at the beginning of this year for wreck league gave me advice along the lines of "give it back to them," if they're giving you a hard time. I found this made things worse and gave them license to keep whining. Lately I've just been quick on the T. If that doesn't shut them up, they're gone. Makes things much easier for me, because they are starting to figure out that I don't listen to it. Even if they're just whining about calls, I give them one freebie and after that I'll serve them. I'm over dealing with adults acting like little girls for $25.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Does the variation in your game fee compensation lead you to either "consciously" or "unconsciously" work "harder" or "less harder" when you're officiating a game?
Old Tue Feb 16, 2016, 10:55am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I'd rather do neither.