The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   And the band played on..... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100886-band-played.html)

rbmartin Sat Feb 13, 2016 09:31pm

And the band played on.....

FED Baseball Official here asking a FED basketball question.
This happened in a game I was attended last night.
As 3rd quarter ended (with Home Team "A" hitting a 3 at the buzzer) an intentional foul was called on "A" away from the ball. Since the quarter had ended team "A"'s pep band breaks out into the usual between-quarter musical number. In the meantime the referees take the shooter (and only the shooter) from team "B" down to shoot 2 free throws. 1st one misses but the referees briefly confer and let him re-shoot the free throw. Meanwhile the PA announcer instructs the band to stop playing, which they do. Team "B" player hits 2 shots. No real effect on the outcome of the game as it was a blowout win for "A".

My question is, should the officials lets the 1st attempt occur while the band was playing or should they have instructed music to stop before hand?

just another ref Sat Feb 13, 2016 09:51pm

The band is not supposed to play until the quarter is over, which it isn't until the free throws are finished, but you can't blame the band too much for not knowing that. But, if he's going to instruct them to stop, obviously it should have been before the free throw, and since he didn't, I don't know of a rule which allows the free throw to be reshot.

bob jenkins Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbmartin (Post 980795)
As 3rd quarter ended (with Home Team "A" hitting a 3 at the buzzer) an intentional foul was called on "A" away from the ball.

Do you have more details on this? Very rare that the offense commits an intentional foul.

rbmartin Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 980800)
Do you have more details on this? Very rare that the offense commits an intentional foul.

Crossed forearms above the head was the signal. Foul charged to a player away from the ball. I was watching the shooter so I really do not know what led to the call. No argument from team "A".

SNIPERBBB Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:31pm

My guess would be a nice two-handed shove during rebounding action.

BillyMac Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:34pm

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

1-18: The playing of music/sound effects shall only be permitted during pregame,
time-outs, intermission and post-game. The use of artificial noisemakers shall be
prohibited.

just another ref Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 980841)
1-18: The playing of music/sound effects shall only be permitted during pregame,
time-outs, intermission and post-game. The use of artificial noisemakers shall be
prohibited.

But there is no penalty associated with this rule.

BillyMac Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:39pm

Skating On Thin Ice ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 980799)
I don't know of a rule which allows the free throw to be reshot.

Probably not this one:

9-1-Penalty: If a violation by the free thrower follows disconcertion by an opponent,
a substitute free throw shall be awarded.

Is the band an opponent? To me, that's a stretch. What if the shooter's band had been playing?

How often do we see the crowd behind the basket actually try to disconcert the shooter (waving hands, etc.), and not get penalized?

BillyMac Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:45pm

Cheerleaders, Can't Live With Them, Can't Live Without Them ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 980799)
... but you can't blame the band too much for not knowing that.

... and how many cheerleading squads have to be taught this rule?

5-11-3: A single 30-second charged time-out shall not exceed 30 seconds
and players shall remain standing within the time-out area. A warning signal for
teams to prepare to resume play is sounded with 15 seconds remaining. No oncourt
entertainment should occur during this time.

just another ref Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 980844)
Is the band an opponent?

no

BillyMac Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:48pm

Bench Personnel ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 980849)
no

Agree 100%. How about opposing bench personnel? I probably say yes. Others might not.

deecee Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 980851)
Agree 100%. How about opposing bench personnel? I probably say yes. Others might not.

How do you define opponent? Is it JUST the players on the court?

crosscountry55 Sun Feb 14, 2016 01:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 980800)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 980811)
My guess would be a nice two-handed shove during rebounding action.

Rare, yes. But not unheard of. I had a situation exactly like SNIPERBBB's back in December. My radar was tuned to a problem child, and sure enough, on a rebound, he gave an exceptionally hard shove to a defender, and by then I was more than happy to show him what my arms looked like when placed in the shape of an "X" above my head.

Probably exactly what happened here. Only thing unique about this was that the expiration of time was a factor in the administration of the penalty.

And for what it's worth....agree, the officials should have stopped the band first. They rushed it, then made an ill-informed decision in an attempt to "correct" their oversight.

BillyMac Sun Feb 14, 2016 01:28pm

Was I Really Going Out On A Limb Here ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 980852)
How do you define opponent? Is it JUST the players on the court?

Once in my thirty-five year officiating career have I called disconcertion on opponent's bench personnel. Granted, it was a recreation level game, but I would do the same thing in a high school game if the behavior warranted it.

On the crowd, or band, or cheerleaders? No way José.

Adam Sun Feb 14, 2016 01:30pm

The rules say the band should not be playing, but do not provide a penalty (because the band is not part of either team). Since the rules do not address what to do when the band disconcerts a FT shooter, I don't think 2-3 is too much of a stretch here.

There are far worse things we can do here than what was done.