The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Who shoots on 5th foul as a tech on shooter?

I Had a player get fouled today for a 2 shot foul then as my partner was reporting the original foul. I called a technical fouls for taunting (the player was waving good bye to the player that commuted her 5th foul) The T was her 4th foul. My question is if the T was her 5th would she still shoot the 2 original shots or would it be her sub? I believe she would shoot then we would bring in the sub while we shot the technical on the other end.

I asked 2 experienced officials and got contradicting answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunz722 View Post
I Had a player get fouled today for a 2 shot foul then as my partner was reporting the original foul. I called a technical fouls for taunting (the player was waving good bye to the player that commuted her 5th foul) The T was her 4th foul. My question is if the T was her 5th would she still shoot the 2 original shots or would it be her sub? I believe she would shoot then we would bring in the sub while we shot the technical on the other end.

The officials shall disqualify the player as soon as notified that he/she has committed five fouls (or two Ts or one flagrant foul). The substitute would attempt any FTs in place of that player.
The NFHS rule is 8-2.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunz722 View Post

I'll speak for NFHS. Once DQ'd, you're done immediately with no exceptions. Sub shoots the free throws.

I had a similar situation earlier this year. False double foul, and the second foul was A1's 2nd T. A1 would have been the FT shooter for the first foul (shooting foul), but instead his substitute A6 shot the FTs, and then somebody from B shot the technical FTs and life went on from there.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2016, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks a lot Nevada and cross country.

Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 07:21am
Official Forum Member

Whaddayaknow, I had this EXACT situation last night. Player got fouled before the shot but we were in the bonus. He (MS boys) got right in the face of the fouler and clapped and taunted him, easy T for his 5th foul. I was caught up in the reporting and dealing with a coach who wanted to argue vs getting a sub, so I wasn't sure how to deal with the FTs once the sub was in. Thankfully, partner did and did exactly this, sub shot the FTs, then the T was administered.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 08:00am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
Whaddayaknow, I had this EXACT situation last night. Player got fouled before the shot but we were in the bonus. He (MS boys) got right in the face of the fouler and clapped and taunted him, easy T for his 5th foul. I was caught up in the reporting and dealing with a coach who wanted to argue vs getting a sub, so I wasn't sure how to deal with the FTs once the sub was in. Thankfully, partner did and did exactly this, sub shot the FTs, then the T was administered.
For some new officials, when you're in the heat of the moment and people/coaches are yelling at you, you can kick a rule.

I've had to learn that once you make a call, and it's an odd situation, to take a step back with your partner and discuss how to proceed from there. Don't worry about reporting things right away... the table can wait.

Sure, there may be confusion around the gym as to what the heck is going on, but it's better to approach the table (and coaches, since they're right there and one or both may be yelling at you) with the correct information first. Nothing's worse than going to the table, then speaking with the coaches, and not sure of how to handle things. That just gives everybody more fuel for the fire.

You'll hear it from the first day in certification class... take your time.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 10:55am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
And in the future you'll know exactly how to do it, and you've got a visual of what it looks like. That helps.

Report the fouls.
Advise coach his player now has five and you'll need a sub. If that sub isn't already on his way to the table at this point, advise the timer to start the 20 second clock.
Count to five in your head, and advise the timer to hit the horn.
Once your sub is in, proceed to shoot the shots as you did.

I've found as soon as you start the timer, the arguing generally stops pretty quickly.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2016, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
For some new officials, when you're in the heat of the moment and people/coaches are yelling at you, you can kick a rule.
Vets aren't immune to this. I've seen the best of the best muck up a rule.