The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Walk? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100850-walk.html)

Terrapins Fan Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:53pm

Walk?

I had an unusual situation tonight, A1 traps the ball on the floor and then falls down on top of it as defenders approach. I called a walk, he never took his hand off the ball that was on the floor.

Was I right?

Nevadaref Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan (Post 980101)
I had an unusual situation tonight, A1 traps the ball on the floor and then falls down on top of it as defenders approach. I called a walk, he never took his hand off the ball that was on the floor.

Was I right?

Is there a park nearby? Officials use the term travel. Billy Packer said walk.

Seriously, I don't believe that pinning the ball to the floor is the same as holding the ball, but opinions will vary.

BigCat Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:10pm

Quote:

Was I right?

I don't view what you have described as holding the ball. His hand is on top of it I'm assuming...not travel to me.

BlueDevilRef Tue Feb 09, 2016 09:25am

To me, if the ball was on the floor and he dropped onto it, no travel. If he was going to the floor in possession of the ball and then covered, travel. Seems odd that if the ball was just on the floor, why didn't he just pick it up and pass it?

Dad Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:29am

Need more information to be able to know for sure what I'd call. Was he dribbling before this happened and picked it up? How'd the ball become resting on the floor?

Adam Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:05pm

Quote:

Was I right?

Would you have granted a TO if it was requested while he was falling?

Dad Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 980195)
Would you have granted a TO if it was requested while he was falling?

Hah, smart question.

Camron Rust Tue Feb 09, 2016 02:56pm

If the player had moved their hands up, would the ball have stayed in contact with it. If not, I don't think they were holding it....thus no travel.

Terrapins Fan Tue Feb 09, 2016 05:25pm

He reached for the ball on the floor, his hand contacted the ball and others approached, he fell on top of it to keep them away from it. If he had asked for a TO, I would have granted it.

bob jenkins Wed Feb 10, 2016 08:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan (Post 980286)
He reached for the ball on the floor, his hand contacted the ball and others approached, he fell on top of it to keep them away from it. If he had asked for a TO, I would have granted it.

Still not quite clear.

If you would have granted the TO before "he fell on top of it" then he had control and it's a violation.

If you would have granted the TO only after "he fell on top of it" then he didn't have control until then and it's not a violation.

I don't know that NFHS (or anyone else) has said whether pinning the ball to the floor is sufficient to start control.