The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   AP arrow. Flip it or not? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100828-ap-arrow-flip-not.html)

justsumguy3 Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:37am

AP arrow. Flip it or not?

Seems like this should be evident, but when diving into the rule book, I became more confused.

A gets the ball on an AP throw in. A then throws a cross-court pass that bounces once on the court and goes out of bounds opposite the throw in. Obviously we give B the ball at the original throw-in spot, but do we flip arrow to B?

Did the throw in end?

4-42-5b says the throw in ends when "the ball touches or is touched by another player out of bounds."

Does that mean the throw in ends then the ball touches out of bounds?
Does that mean the throw in ends when the ball touches a player out of bounds?

ChuckS Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:42am

It was a throw-in violation, so A loses the arrow.

Freddy Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by justsumguy3 (Post 979670)
Seems like this should be evident, but when diving into the rule book, I became more confused.

A gets the ball on an AP throw in. A then throws a cross-court pass that bounces once on the court and goes out of bounds opposite the throw in. Obviously we give B the ball at the original throw-in spot, but do we flip arrow to B?

Compare what is stated above with 6-4-5. The violation results in loss of the ball and the AP arrow. Right?

bob jenkins Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:09am

Quote:

Did the throw in end?

You are correct that the throw-in didn't end. But, is that the only time the arrow changes? ;)

BayStateRef Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:55am

Quote:

4-42-5b says the throw in ends when "the ball touches or is touched by another player out of bounds."

Does that mean the throw in ends then the ball touches out of bounds?
Does that mean the throw in ends when the ball touches a player out of bounds?

You need to read all of 4-42-5 to understand when the throw in ends. Just looking at one tiny piece doesn't tell you enough.

This section offers three specific ways the throw-in can end.
a. when it touches a player inbounds
b. when it touches a player out of bounds
c. when there is a throw-in violation

So...run down the check list on your play. Did it touch a player (in bounds or out of bounds?) Was there a throw-in violation? (You need to check 9-2 for that).

justsumguy3 Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:54pm

I did check 9-2 and I believe I accidentally skipped the portion of 9-2-2 that says "The ball shall be passed so that...it is touched by another player on the court before going out of bounds untouched"

Thanks for the help. Just one of those things where you're 99% sure you flip it and then after it happens and make what you think is an easy call, you say to yourself 2 minutes later, "That's right...right?"

BryanV21 Fri Feb 05, 2016 05:48pm

I like seeing somebody that works the table not only getting in the book that much, but asking questions like that.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk