The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NC v Louisville (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100794-nc-v-louisville.html)

BigCat Mon Feb 01, 2016 09:55pm

NC v Louisville

I'd like to see the play just prior to the FT at 5:15 left in game. Foul in paint on a lob to Louisville big man. basket was counted. Thought foul was before shooter caught the pass. Wanted to see again. Thx

JRutledge Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:26pm

Here is the play.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IcLJwWejGm4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

BigCat Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:33pm

Thx. It looks like counting basket was right. I wasn't sure when I watched it earlier if the foul occurred when he had ball..or close enough. Thx again

Nevadaref Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:39pm

The holding foul is CLEARLY before the player catches the pass. This goal should not have counted by rule.

JRutledge Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 979023)
Thx. It looks like counting basket was right. I wasn't sure when I watched it earlier if the foul occurred when he had ball..or close enough. Thx again

Yes they counted the basket and gave him 1 free throw.

Peace

BigCat Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 979024)
The holding foul is CLEARLY before the player catches the pass. This goal should not have counted by rule.

That's what I thought originally and why I asked to bring play up. I just can't tell if the defender's right arm is still in there when catch made. I've had this happen a few times and had to explain that the ball is dead when the foul occurs prior to the catch. Not a shooting foul.

AremRed Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 979024)

He didn't call the hold, he called the midair bump after the gather. :cool:

BigCat Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 979029)
He didn't call the hold, he called the midair bump after the gather. :cool:

Did you see his signal? I didn't.

BigCat Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 979026)
Yes they counted the basket and gave him 1 free throw.

Peace

Can you watch it 10 more seconds and see if you see a signal? I thought he was reporting in the background.

Raymond Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 979028)
That's what I thought originally and why I asked to bring play up. I just can't tell if the defender's right arm is still in there when catch made. I've had this happen a few times and had to explain that the ball is dead when the foul occurs prior to the catch. Not a shooting foul.

They aren't going to split hairs to deny a shooting foul, and neither am I.

BigCat Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 979035)
They aren't going to split hairs to deny a shooting foul, and neither am I

Yes. I shouldn't either...

JRutledge Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 979033)
Can you watch it 10 more seconds and see if you see a signal? I thought he was reporting in the background.

No indication in the broadcast what he reported. I went back and looked for you.

And I also believe I am giving the player everything he can get and that would be the basket and the foul. Contact did start before he touches the ball, but what was he trying to ultimately do? Shoot. I am giving that to him or not taking it away because part of the contact started before he touches the pass.

Peace

Nevadaref Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 979038)
No indication in the broadcast what he reported. I went back and looked for you.

And I also believe I am giving the player everything he can get and that would be the basket and the foul. Contact did start before he touches the ball, but what was he trying to ultimately do? Shoot. I am giving that to him or not taking it away because part of the contact started before he touches the pass.

This last part is not relevant is wrong by rule. Attempting to justify an incorrect call with some made-up rationale doesn't accomplish anything.

Just follow the rule.

BigCat Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 979038)

Peace

Thx for looking.

JRutledge Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 979042)
This last part is not relevant is wrong by rule. Attempting to justify an incorrect call with some made-up rationale doesn't accomplish anything.

Just follow the rule.

I am not trying to justify anything. The issue is when does the official have a foul. He might not feel there really is a foul until it is clear he is shooting. Now if you rule a foul before, then you cannot justify a shot in this case as at the very least you have to have touched the ball to start your motion. But when the offensive player is kind of undercut and that is not clear until the shooting motion, I am giving the shots. I am going to penalize the defense as much as I can in those case when everything is happening that fast.

This is not about the rule, it is about judgment. Judgment allows a lot of people to wait until you see the result of everything before you blow your whistle. If you disagree, that is fine. I am just thinking it is good officiating to wait. I have no issues with the call.

Peace