The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Chopping clock on FT? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100753-chopping-clock-ft.html)

UNIgiantslayers Tue Jan 26, 2016 02:06pm

Chopping clock on FT?

We were talking as a crew the other night about chopping on a FT. We've been working together for a couple years, but I subbed in for another crew last week who does the FT chop differently than we always do. I've never given it much thought, and was looking up in NFHS mechanics who is supposed to chop. Is anyone able to point me to where this is specified?

Dad Tue Jan 26, 2016 02:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 978200)
We were talking as a crew the other night about chopping on a FT. We've been working together for a couple years, but I subbed in for another crew last week who does the FT chop differently than we always do. I've never given it much thought, and was looking up in NFHS mechanics who is supposed to chop. Is anyone able to point me to where this is specified?

Is free throw administration and coverages IAABO only? It says if a ball remains live on a FT, the center will start the clock when the ball is touched. something like that.

WhistlesAndStripes Tue Jan 26, 2016 02:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 978200)

In the 2015-2017 NFHS Officials Manual it is found in the following locations:

For 2 man mechanics, look at Pages 39-40 under 4.2.3.B.8 and 4.2.3.C.9.

For 3 man mechanics, look at Pages 74-75 under 5.2.3.B.7 and 5.2.3.C.8.

Dad Tue Jan 26, 2016 02:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 978213)

Does it say C?

WhistlesAndStripes Tue Jan 26, 2016 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 978213)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad (Post 978215)
Does it say C?

Sometimes.

I recommend you go and read it.

bob jenkins Tue Jan 26, 2016 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 978216)
Sometimes.

I recommend you go and read it.

For those of us who do not have / get / use the manual, what does it say?

Here, it's C in 3-person.

WhistlesAndStripes Tue Jan 26, 2016 03:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 978217)
For those of us who do not have / get / use the manual, what does it say?

Here, it's C in 3-person.

The OP didn't differentiate between a made and missed FT or between 2-man and 3-man mechanics.

The first citation in each classification(2-Man or 3-Man) above basically says that C in 2 man, or T in 2 man, chops time after a missed FT.

The second citation in each classification says that L chops after a made FT.

referee99 Tue Jan 26, 2016 03:22pm

NFHS Officials Manual 2-person

C. Trail Official
1. Take a position just above the free-throw line extended and halfway between the nearer free-throw lane-line extended and the sideline.
2. Be primarily responsible for holding or beckoning substitutes and any other table activity.
3. Observe players in the backcourt.
4. When the thrower receives the ball, begin a visible 10 count with wrist flicks.
5. Observe the thrower and top two spaces on the opposite lane line for violations; give the appropriate signal immediately if either team violates. See Diagram 2-12
6. Observe the flight of the ball and note whether the ball goes through, contacts or misses the ring.
7. Close down when the ball contacts the backboard or ring and officiate rebounding action in PCA.
8. Watch for goaltending or basket interference.
9. Signal to start the clock if the final throw or the first throw of a one-and-one is unsuccessful and the ball is to remain live.

UNIgiantslayers Tue Jan 26, 2016 03:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 978219)
The OP didn't differentiate between a made and missed FT or between 2-man and 3-man mechanics.

The first citation in each classification(2-Man or 3-Man) above basically says that C in 2 man, or T in 2 man, chops time after a missed FT.

The old L/new T is how I'm picturing it. Is that what you mean?

WhistlesAndStripes Tue Jan 26, 2016 03:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 978221)
The old L/new T is how I'm picturing it. Is that what you mean?

Yes.

UNIgiantslayers Tue Jan 26, 2016 03:25pm

That's how we do it. C on a missed, Old L on make. The crew that I subbed on had the C do it no matter what. Which was really weird to me running down the court as the C chopping the clock on a make.

BlueDevilRef Tue Jan 26, 2016 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 978223)
That's how we do it. C on a missed, Old L on make. The crew that I subbed on had the C do it no matter what. Which was really weird to me running down the court as the C chopping the clock on a make.

That makes no sense. Would it be the T in 2 man? It's basically the official nearer the ball. Pretty simple to keep that in scope.

Raymond Tue Jan 26, 2016 04:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 978219)

I would hope that was already assumed, but apparently things are weird in Iowa.

UNIgiantslayers Tue Jan 26, 2016 04:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 978226)
That makes no sense. Would it be the T in 2 man? It's basically the official nearer the ball. Pretty simple to keep that in scope.

Right. I didn't understand their reasoning but I wasn't sure where it was and wasn't about to nose through the book in front of them just to be argumentative, especially as the youngest official. I just did it how they wanted and wondered how weird I must look.

Raymond Tue Jan 26, 2016 04:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 978231)
Right. I didn't understand their reasoning ....

Their reasoning being what?

Can't imagine these are HS officials. Please tell me this was rec or intramural crew.