The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 26, 2016, 01:21pm
Esteemed Participant

From games last Friday...

C Team (freshman) game and JV game going on at the same time in adjacent gyms. Player is playing first half of C team game and second half of JV game. So he is listed in both books.

According to BillyMac's partner, we would have to erase his name from the JV book since he is not warming up with them. And then we would have to issue a T for adding his name to the JV book in the second half.

Good luck with that.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2016, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
From games last Friday...

C Team (freshman) game and JV game going on at the same time in adjacent gyms. Player is playing first half of C team game and second half of JV game. So he is listed in both books.

According to BillyMac's partner, we would have to erase his name from the JV book since he is not warming up with them. And then we would have to issue a T for adding his name to the JV book in the second half.

Good luck with that.
Even if BillyMac's partner requeires him to be erased from the JV Book because he wasn't there for the start, you do NOT have to issue a T for adding his name back in the second half as long as his name and number were provided to the scorer prior to the 10 minute mark before the scheduled start time of the game.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2016, 06:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Know What I'm Doing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Seriously Billy, why? As in why are you asking this question? Is this helping newer officials who are looking for real world applications of the rules? To me, all you're doing is confusing them with these questions that nobody asks but you.
An award winning middle school science teacher for thirty-plus years knows how to ask pointed questions to educate, and to elicit followup questions to make a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Stupid question, but sometimes extremes can clear things up that are otherwise muddled.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 26, 2016 at 11:47pm.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2016, 06:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Silly Monkeys ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Maybe we should not reference IAABO tests in this forum.
Especially stupid IAABO tests with really silly interpretations.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Jan 26, 2016, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Even if BillyMac's partner requeires him to be erased from the JV Book because he wasn't there for the start, you do NOT have to issue a T for adding his name back in the second half as long as his name and number were provided to the scorer prior to the 10 minute mark before the scheduled start time of the game.
BillyMac's partner would have the kid's name and number stricken from the team member list submitted to the scorer.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2016, 06:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Where's The Like Button ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
The rules say you have to list each team member. It doesn't say you can only list team members. So it's a lower limit, not an exact requirement. There is no rule which prevents bench personnel from being listed in the scorebook ... at least all the team members, no upper limit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
... it doesn't preclude listing someone that isn't present. It doesn't even require all those that are present and in uniform to be listed (only if they play).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Where does it limit, in any way, the names that may be in the book?
Like. Like. Like.

Old Tue Jan 26, 2016, 07:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

More Than One ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
Around here, it's hit and miss with partners who want to cross out anyone not present/not in uniform.
Eastshire: You've seen this before, with multiple colleagues? So this really isn't an exercise in counting angels on the head of a pin?

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 26, 2016 at 07:13pm.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2016, 07:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Trying To Walk In His Shoes ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I think you're trying to hard to justify your partner's decisions here. That's admirable, but futile.
He was the referee. I just let him do his thing and argue with the coach ("I always list my entire roster. Nobody has ever asked me to erase a name before."). I felt that he was being overly officious, and I didn't even broach the subject with him after the game. I brought this to the Forum to get a definitive answer so that the next time he does this (he's done this before), I can hit him where it hurts with a citation, or two, like the posts from Eastshire, Camron Rust, and Adam (above).

For your information, I asked the same question to my local interpreter. He said more names are better than fewer names.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 26, 2016 at 07:15pm.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2016, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He was the referee. I just let him do his thing and argue with the coach ("I always list my entire roster. Nobody has ever asked me to erase a name before."). I felt that he was being overly officious, and I didn't even broach the subject with him after the game. I brought this to the Forum to get a definitive answer so that the next tine he does this, I can hit him where it hurts with a citation, or two.
OK, so let him strike all he wants if he doesn't want a name in the book simply because that individual does not appear to be there or ready to play.

My question is, if you KNOW that name WAS in the book, or WAS submitted on the roster given before the 10 minute mark, and he had it stricken, and then that player goes to check in, are you going to let your partner assess a technical foul if he wants to?
Old Tue Jan 26, 2016, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK, so let him strike all he wants if he doesn't want a name in the book simply because that individual does not appear to be there or ready to play.

My question is, if you KNOW that name WAS in the book, or WAS submitted on the roster given before the 10 minute mark, and he had it stricken, and then that player goes to check in, are you going to let your partner assess a technical foul if he wants to?
I have to let my partner assess any foul that he wishes. I have no authority to prevent him from doing so. It's in the rules that the officials cannot overrule the decisions of each other made within their purview.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2016, 07:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Train Wrecks ...

Quote:
Is this a rhetorical question?

If not, absolutely not. I'm stepping in to prevent a train wreck.

Old Tue Jan 26, 2016, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I have to let my partner assess any foul that he wishes. I have no authority to prevent him from doing so. It's in the rules that the officials cannot overrule the decisions of each other made within their purview.
Quote:
Is this a rhetorical question?

If not, absolutely not. I'm stepping in to prevent a train wreck.

No, it was not a rhetorical question.

I'm with BillyMac on this one. I'd be hardpressed to finish a game in which my partner tried to assess a TF as presented above. And the Coach would CERTAINLY know that I thought he was getting screwed.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2016, 07:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
True, but if I'm the one the table calls over when the name gets added, I'm going to note that it was a name originally provided prior to the 10 minute limit, and tell the book to add the name and we'll move on. If my partner comes in and insists on calling a T, that's one he'll have to answer for. I'll pull him aside and talk to him about it, reminding him that the rule only means coaches have to provide the roster, which he did. Then we'll make a united call. If that's a T, he can support that to the assigner.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2016, 07:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Lower The Life Boats, Abandon Ship ...

Quote:
I wouldn't overrule him, but I would certainly try to talk him of it. He's the captain, he can go down with the ship if he wants to, but I'm not going down with him.

Old Tue Jan 26, 2016, 10:34pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
An award winning middle school science teacher for thirty-plus years knows how to ask pointed questions to educate, and to illicit followup questions to make a point.
sb elicit!

But a piss poor example of an English teacher