The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Vid Request- Miami vs Duke (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100748-vid-request-miami-vs-duke.html)

VaTerp Mon Jan 25, 2016 08:51pm

Vid Request- Miami vs Duke

Can someone please post the video of the foul occuring at the 2:14 mark of the 2nd half.

The foul was called a non-shooting foul but its a bucket that I'm scoring 10 times out of 10.

Curious as to others thoughts.

JeffM Mon Jan 25, 2016 09:15pm

I trust you didn't believe Dickie V

I believe Dickie V said that it would have been continuation in the NBA, but not in college because he hadn't released the ball yet. I know he mis-spoke.

JRutledge Mon Jan 25, 2016 09:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffM (Post 978070)
I believe Dickie V said that it would have been continuation in the NBA, but not in college because he hadn't released the ball yet. I know he mis-spoke.

I doubt it.

But the only saving grace is that the player might not have been in the "upward motion" which was the philosophy for the last few years.

Peace

ballgame99 Tue Jan 26, 2016 01:31pm

I would also be interested in this one since this is a topic I find interesting to get opinions on. Coaches have complained that I'm too liberal about what is a shooting foul vs "on the floor", but IMO many of my partners are the opposite.

Dad Tue Jan 26, 2016 01:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 978192)
I would also be interested in this one since this is a topic I find interesting to get opinions on. Coaches have complained that I'm too liberal about what is a shooting foul vs "on the floor", but IMO many of my partners are the opposite.

:eek:

ballgame99 Tue Jan 26, 2016 05:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad (Post 978194)
:eek:

Their words, not mine. Hence the quotes.

JetMetFan Tue Jan 26, 2016 06:38pm

Here's the play...

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rU5hvaJtsck?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nevadaref Tue Jan 26, 2016 06:42pm

Poor decision. That's in the act of shooting and continuous motion should have applied.

JetMetFan Tue Jan 26, 2016 06:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 978258)
Poor decision. That's in the act of shooting and continuous motion should have applied.

Check the arm contact at the 0:25 mark. I think that's what the T was calling, which would have made in a non-shooting foul. Not that I agree with it but I think that's what he was getting and he just reacted too late.

Nevadaref Tue Jan 26, 2016 06:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 978262)
Check the arm contact at the 0:25 mark. I think that's what the T was calling, which would have made in a non-shooting foul. Not that I agree with it but I think that's what he was getting and he just reacted too late.

I don't agree. The official makes no movement and doesn't blow the whistle until the player has released a try for goal near the basket. There is no way that he is calling a handchecking foul that occurred 25 feet away from this point when the defender had a foot in the orange part of the U on the court.

He thought that the reach around slap on the edge of the FT lane took place before the act of shooting began. He was incorrect and just missed this call.

Camron Rust Tue Jan 26, 2016 07:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 978262)

That is the only thing that could justify not counting the basket. But, as Nevada said, his reaction to that was really late if that is what he is calling.

VaTerp Tue Jan 26, 2016 09:24pm

Thanks for posting JMF.

I'm not understanding this one at all. The contact at 0:25 mark is minimal, I don't even know if the C can see it, and the whistle occurs well after that.

Also, I never see a fist. I just here a whistle and then see the shot being waived off.

I'm betting he doesn't like this call at all after seeing the tape.

packersowner Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:05pm

I was watching this last night and heard Dicky V talking about it as well. I didn't go back and look, but I do have another question on this play.

Do we know what caused the T to be so far down almost as another C?

I mean its pretty obvious, Coach K was in this guy's ear and it was a 6 point game with a chance to go up 9. :eek:

johnny d Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by packersowner (Post 978288)
I was watching this last night and heard Dicky V talking about it as well. I didn't go back and look, but I do have another question on this play.

Do we know what caused the T to be so far down almost as another C?

I mean its pretty obvious, Coach K was in this guy's ear and it was a 6 point game with a chance to go up 9. :eek:

Based on where the person who ended up as the C started, and the way he moved to get to C, it seems obvious that the L was on the table side at the start of the possession and rotated opposite the table at some point. Neither the C, going to be new T or the T picked it up right away.

As far as your other comment, you really think a guy assigned to work the Miami vs Duke game on national tv is going to let a coach's previous belly aching influence his decision on how he adjudicates this play? Please.

packersowner Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 978289)
Based on where the person who ended up as the C started, and the way he moved to get to C, it seems obvious that the L was on the table side at the start of the possession and rotated opposite the table at some point. Neither the C, going to be new T or the T picked it up right away.

As far as your other comment, you really think a guy assigned to work the Miami vs Duke game on national tv is going to let a coach's previous belly aching influence his decision on how he adjudicates this play? Please.

You must not be a regular.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 971873)
Sarcasm should always be noted in BLUE, seriously.;)