The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Ball State vs Eastern Michigan end of game no calls (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100739-ball-state-vs-eastern-michigan-end-game-no-calls.html)

A Pennsylvania Coach Sat Jan 23, 2016 03:35pm

Ball State vs Eastern Michigan end of game no calls

Video can be seen here:

Ball State shocks Eastern Michigan 88-87 in 2OT

I think the initial no call is pretty defensible. I couldn't see a foul or a held ball. However, the second pair of guys who locked up--has to be a held ball or a travel, right?

BillyMac Sat Jan 23, 2016 03:45pm

In My High School Game ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach (Post 977748)
... the second pair of guys who locked up, has to be a held ball or a travel ...

Held ball. It's tough to call a double travel, whatever that is?

MechanicGuy Sat Jan 23, 2016 06:55pm

Why is lead on the weak side the entire time?

Camron Rust Sat Jan 23, 2016 09:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicGuy (Post 977758)
Why is lead on the weak side the entire time?

Technically, he was the trail. The team that had the ball through most of it was in their backcourt. That said, it would have still been better to get over there instead of being a spectator.

MechanicGuy Sun Jan 24, 2016 01:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 977765)
Technically, he was the trail. The team that had the ball through most of it was in their backcourt. That said, it would have still been better to get over there instead of being a spectator.

Ah, I see....was watching on my phone earlier.

Now I want to know what new lead is counting....

Also, not having a held ball or a travel here is pretty bad. 33 Red appears to take about 7 steps before dribbling...several of which happen with an opponents hands also on the ball.

I don't the officials are going to be happy when reviewing the video.

Camron Rust Sun Jan 24, 2016 01:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicGuy (Post 977780)
Ah, I see....was watching on my phone earlier.

Now I want to know what new lead is counting....

Good point. I didn't notice that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicGuy (Post 977780)
Also, not having a held ball or a travel here is pretty bad. 33 Red appears to take about 7 steps before dribbling...several of which happen with an opponents hands also on the ball.

I don't the officials are going to be happy when reviewing the video.

Or one of of several fouls. That was far from clean or incidental.

I think that at least part of the crew (if not all of them) they got really confused about something given, as you pointed out, the new center was still deep in the backcourt and counting something when only the new trail should have had some sort of count.

twocentsworth Sun Jan 24, 2016 06:53pm

Mid-American Conference suspends two officials for missing call during Ball State-Eastern Michigan game

2 of the officials have been suspended. I think most everyone who sees it will agree that this play needed a whistle...and it probably could have been for 1 of 3 or 4 different things.

JRutledge Sun Jan 24, 2016 06:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 977858)
Mid-American Conference suspends two officials for missing call during Ball State-Eastern Michigan game

2 of the officials have been suspended. I think most everyone who sees it will agree that this play needed a whistle...and it probably could have been for 1 of 3 or 4 different things.

I am not convinced what the whistle would have been? I am thinking held ball, but the angle they showed has players blocking the ball. I am wondering if that was the issue.

Peace

Raymond Sun Jan 24, 2016 09:02pm

There were a couple of travels and 2 fouls that I saw.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

JetMetFan Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:38am

The only thing the official statement says is "several errors were committed."

The Mid-American Conference - Official Statement From The Mid-American Conference

It would be nice if the conference explained exactly what those errors were. I'm thinking a held ball as well, probably a travel on the second EMU player who had control.

I can see taking a game but doing it quietly. I'm not sure what happened is worth a suspension/loss of a spot in the MAC tournament. I'm more inclined to reserve those sanctions for kicking a rule.

JRutledge Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 977906)
There were a couple of travels and 2 fouls that I saw.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same thing, but the angle was not helpful.

Peace

Nevadaref Mon Jan 25, 2016 01:07am

I'm disturbed that only two of the three were penalized.
Are they somehow absolving one member of the crew from having any responsibility here? Should he not call across the court if the situation is bad enough to warrant a suspension? If we accept that the C is being penalized, then, which of the two guys on the other side of the court are we dinging?--The one near the division line or the one on the endline?

Camron Rust Mon Jan 25, 2016 02:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 977948)
I'm disturbed that only two of the three were penalized.
Are they somehow absolving one member of the crew from having any responsibility here? Should he not call across the court if the situation is bad enough to warrant a suspension? If we accept that the C is being penalized, then, which of the two guys on the other side of the court are we dinging?--The one near the division line or the one on the endline?

I would think that the one near the division line who was the new lead really has no responsibility for on-ball coverage deep in the backcourt. His attention should be on the players farthest from the ball. The Trail and Center are supposed to be covering this play. If there is anyone not really responsible for the series of non-calls it would be the new lead. That said, I don't know why he was still so deep in the backcourt if he knew he was supposed to be lead. I'm not hanging around that deep if I am lead. I might not be all the way to the far endline, but i'm going to be closer than that.

Nevadaref Mon Jan 25, 2016 03:51am

And after the ball is stolen can he not call a travel before the pass to the player outside the three-point line?

Somehow, someway, all crew members are responsible. The officiating team succeeds or fails together.

This is just a poor call by the MAC.

Rich Mon Jan 25, 2016 05:22am

Suspending any of them publicly for missed judgment calls is probably a poor decision in the scheme of things. Rules? I'm all for it at that level.

But we're slowly sliding down a slippery slope where eventually some official will get suspended for calling a single foul or not calling one -- or the cries will go up demanding such. Where does it end?