The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Assistants chirping from bench (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100720-assistants-chirping-bench.html)

RedAndWhiteRef Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:07pm

Assistants chirping from bench

GV game tonight. Visiting head coach is notorious for bitching about just about everything. We pregame this and sure enough, my first whistle, she's all over me. It's honestly laughable. A couple calls later she yells at one of my partners. On the way down the court, I tell her, "Coach, we're going to make the calls and you're going to coach your team."

Still in the first quarter, I call another foul and she's on me again. Lining up for the free throws following my report, I say "That's enough, you're done." The good thing is, she backed off after that.

The bad thing is, both teams had assistants that I swear their only purpose was to "police" us. We're hearing "travel", "three seconds", etc., a lot more often than we should in a varsity game. Here's my question: I've already warned V's coach. Is this "advice" from the assistant on the bench enough to warrant a technical? In the home team's case, their coach hasn't said a word to us all night, then what is the proper way to address chirping from assistants?

BryanV21 Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:15pm

"Coach, control your bench."

There's your warning. Next time tag em. Coaches, especially at the varsity level, know their assistants are not to talk to officials.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Pantherdreams Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:16pm

To head coach:

- Coach I don't want to hear from your bench. I will talk to you but won't hear from them.

- Coach control your bench.

- Coach anything more the assistants and you'll be getting the tech.

- Coach I'll give you a chance to keep them from commenting then I'm going to be dealing with it.

SC Official Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:41pm

Assistants do not have the same privileges as head coaches. Period.

Head coach gets one warning about his bench if it's just chatter: "Coach, I'm listening to you, but I'm not listening to your bench." That almost always solves the issue. If I hear anything else, head coach is seatbelted for the rest of the game and I bet he never lets his assistants say another word.

An assistant jumping off the bench or yelling about something is pretty much an automatic T for me. Head coaches should know that their assistants are not allowed to act like that.

I will talk to a respectful assistant during a timeout. During game action, not a chance.

twocentsworth Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:59pm

You Promote What You Permit....if you do nothing about it - then, in essence, you are saying that the behavior in question is ok, acceptable, permissible.

Do something about it and blow the whistle. If not, then you really cannot complain to your partners in the locker room after the game.

jpgc99 Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:22am

I'm not a fan of most of the advice so far.

1 - I don't think it's good form to threaten anyone with a technical.

2 - I don't like - especially in this situation - to say something like "I'll listen to you" or "I'll listen to you all night, but not your assistants..." This isn't true. I will not listen to a head coach comment or complain all night.

When it gets time to warn, "Coach, this is your warning. No more."

For the bench, "Coach, control your bench. This is their one warning."

Rich Wed Jan 20, 2016 02:08am

I have said, "you're close to a technical foul." It's not a threat, it's a fact.

Nevadaref Wed Jan 20, 2016 02:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef (Post 977223)
GV game tonight. Visiting head coach is notorious for bitching about just about everything. We pregame this and sure enough, my first whistle, she's all over me. It's honestly laughable. A couple calls later she yells at one of my partners. On the way down the court, I tell her, "Coach, we're going to make the calls and you're going to coach your team."

Still in the first quarter, I call another foul and she's on me again. [WHACK. RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW! She had her warning and ignored it. Sadly, you did too!] Lining up for the free throws following my report, I say "That's enough, you're done." The good thing is, she backed off after that.

The bad thing is, both teams had assistants that I swear their only purpose was to "police" us. We're hearing "travel", "three seconds", etc., a lot more often than we should in a varsity game. Here's my question: I've already warned V's coach. Is this "advice" from the assistant on the bench enough to warrant a technical? [YES! Take care of business or it will continue. It is up to you to put a stop to it.] In the home team's case, their coach hasn't said a word to us all night, then what is the proper way to address chirping from assistants?

See above.
Ditto what others have said about informing the head coach that the assitant(s) have been warned, then whack away.

JRutledge Wed Jan 20, 2016 05:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpgc99 (Post 977235)
I'm not a fan of most of the advice so far.

1 - I don't think it's good form to threaten anyone with a technical.

I never understand this logic. If a coach cannot handle being told that their behavior or the behavior of others is going to lead to a penalty (like we would warn a lot of other actions), then that is too bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpgc99 (Post 977235)
2 - I don't like - especially in this situation - to say something like "I'll listen to you" or "I'll listen to you all night, but not your assistants..." This isn't true. I will not listen to a head coach comment or complain all night.

When it gets time to warn, "Coach, this is your warning. No more."

For the bench, "Coach, control your bench. This is their one warning."

The point is to let the HS know that they are the only one with the privileges. That does not mean that we just ignore their unsporting behavior. These comments are strictly to let the assistants know who has more rights. For one it does me no good to try to talk to 5 different people about the same play.

At the end of the day, you have to do what works for you, but I have no problem being real with a coach about what is going to get them in trouble. Because if I do T them, they know where I stand. It is certainly better than the dreaded "stop sign" which IMO does not convey any information other than some standard that all coaches will not understand.

Peace

UNIgiantslayers Wed Jan 20, 2016 08:43am

I had a situation last night where the AC was complaining about a call very loudly. Next time by, I told the coach to control his bench. He was incredulous and actually started laughing at me. I was surprised. He ended up earning a T later in the game, not surprisingly. The AC was on good behavior from there out though, so I guess it accomplished what I hoped it would.

BryanV21 Wed Jan 20, 2016 08:47am

Those coaches are adults... I'm not going to treat them like children. They should know better, so giving them a warning is more than enough.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

RedAndWhiteRef Wed Jan 20, 2016 08:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 977237)
I have said, "you're close to a technical foul." It's not a threat, it's a fact.

I was always taught to say "It will cost you." Or something to that effect. Because if you mention a T and don't follow through, there goes all your credibility

Rich Wed Jan 20, 2016 08:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef (Post 977254)
I was always taught to say "It will cost you." Or something to that effect. Because if you mention a T and don't follow through, there goes all your credibility

I will follow through. Every time.

In baseball I say, "you're about to be ejected."

If you are willing to do what you say, there's no problem.

Rich Wed Jan 20, 2016 08:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 977249)
I had a situation last night where the AC was complaining about a call very loudly. Next time by, I told the coach to control his bench. He was incredulous and actually started laughing at me. I was surprised. He ended up earning a T later in the game, not surprisingly. The AC was on good behavior from there out though, so I guess it accomplished what I hoped it would.

You didn't whack a coach laughing at you?

Care to explain why you think that's even close to a good idea?

UNIgiantslayers Wed Jan 20, 2016 09:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 977257)
You didn't whack a coach laughing at you?

Care to explain why you think that's even close to a good idea?

Good question. I've heard many times on here that you'll never regret whacking a coach but you'll regret the ones that you don't that deserve it. This is one instance that I definitely regret. It wasn't a belly laugh, more like just being a prick if you can imagine the difference. I have no idea why I didn't because I've been pretty quick on the trigger this year.