The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Wisdom needed (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100687-wisdom-needed.html)

DRJ1960 Fri Jan 15, 2016 03:00pm

Thanks for the feedback....

There really was nothing extraordinary about the entire evening (that I am aware of!) until we arrived at the OP.

His theme (on the court and off) was that I had "disrespected him".

My multiple attempts to apologize went unnoticed.

I was hoping someone could tell me that there was some etiquette (whether Basketball or some other group) that I had violated.

He has experienced my humor before and never reacted this way.

Moving on....

Adam Fri Jan 15, 2016 03:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRJ1960 (Post 976761)

There really was nothing extraordinary about the entire evening (that I am aware of!) until we arrived at the OP.

I was hoping someone could tell me that there was some etiquette (whether Basketball or some other group) that I had violated.

Moving on....

I know it's not relevant, but I'm curious why he didn't move down when you asked him to. That tells me he was already pissed.

UNIgiantslayers Fri Jan 15, 2016 03:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 976753)
I'd be interested to know which school DRJ was at. His association refs a group a schools in my area. I immediately had one school pop in my head where a few of the male coaches from the school's other sports teams sit on the first row near where the C would be for free throws. They are a bunch of a-holes during the games.

Enough to ask game administration to take care of it? When I was in HS, we had a pretty rowdy student section. The AD would often come stand in the middle of us, and that usually took care of any disrespectful behavior.

UNIgiantslayers Fri Jan 15, 2016 03:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRJ1960 (Post 976761)

Moving on....

Not to be confrontational, but it just seems like you're leaving something out.

Raymond Fri Jan 15, 2016 03:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 976765)
Enough to ask game administration to take care of it? When I was in HS, we had a pretty rowdy student section. The AD would often come stand in the middle of us, and that usually took care of any disrespectful behavior.

No, not enough to get game admin involved. They would make the majority of their comments when you were there next to them. Just jerk-ish type comments.

UNIgiantslayers Fri Jan 15, 2016 03:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 976767)
No, not enough to get game admin involved. That would make the majority of their comments when you were there next to them. Just jerk-ish type comments.

Are you familiar with the term crop dusting?

Raymond Fri Jan 15, 2016 03:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 976768)

No, I grew up around military installations. :)

UNIgiantslayers Fri Jan 15, 2016 03:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 976771)
No, I grew up around military installations. :)

It has served me well. It's a skill that was honed through many years of practice as a middle and high school teacher.

pizanno Fri Jan 15, 2016 03:58pm

I'd say if anyone's breaching etiquette, it's him. You've attempted to apologize and it went unnoticed or unaccepted. Good for you to move on. This has nothing to do with basketball, unless he's the assignor/supervisor. Even then, I'm reminded of the saying "take your job seriously, not yourself"

Welpe Fri Jan 15, 2016 04:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 976768)

What do you mean? I've only heard the term in relation to flatulence which I'm sure isn't what you mean.

bob jenkins Fri Jan 15, 2016 05:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 976778)
What do you mean? I've only heard the term in relation to flatulence which I'm sure isn't what you mean.

I'm sure it is what he means.

bainsey Sat Jan 16, 2016 08:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRJ1960 (Post 976674)
I am a grown man and realize it doesn't matter what I intended.

I don't care what your intentions were. I'm stealing those lines for future use.

JRutledge Sat Jan 16, 2016 08:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 976737)
Me neither, and I have a temper. I just don't think anything that happens while officiating would be worth me losing my temper.

Totally agree.

Peace