The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

1. Tough to see what the contact was from the angle of the camera. I have to assume the defender made contact, so I'll give the benefit of the doubt.
2. Good call
3. From the coach's angle, I can see why she thought it was something. It looks bad from the angle of her video snippet. When I watched the full feed (had to use my phone to view it), it looks like there was nothing there. Almost as if the shooter realized she wasn't getting a shot off because the defender was straight up and she tried to get a desperate call.

I've had that coach 3 times this season. If she's winning she's easy to work for. If she's not winning, she's complaining a lot.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 02:45pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post

I've had that coach 3 times this season. If she's winning she's easy to work for. If she's not winning, she's complaining a lot.
Based on what I saw in this video, she's a coach I would need to tell "that's enough" at some point in the first half.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

All three look good to me, especially #2.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

#2 could be straight from the IAABO video play of the week, I think it was either last week or this weeks video.

#3 If the coach sent me this play, I would reply back, "If #30 had actually screened the defender, there would not have been anything to look at."

Good calls, thanks for the video upload.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2016, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
She's a real peach to be around. This was first, and only time, I've had her this season. We do not see eye to eye and it goes back to when she was the jv coach and I stuck her.

She did get warned after the first play. She did not get a T this game although I maybe could have 3rd quarter. I made a call and I think she was yelling at me but she had lost her voice so I couldn't hear anything. Oh well...
Old Fri Jan 15, 2016, 10:25am
#thereferee99

Hey Tex

Looks like a good game.

If you want a solution to downloading the video, consider the following:

Fiverr.com is a place to go to get small projects done. Basic projects cost $5.50. Anyways, there are many there who have the capability to download streaming files. They download, post to dropbox and send a download link. The quality was great and it took less than 24 hours.

For those on Windows or Linux platforms, the guy's method may be an option: "I use the FFmpeg command line tool to download the video stream as its original file directly from the server."
Old Fri Jan 15, 2016, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
#2 could be straight from the IAABO video play of the week, I think it was either last week or this weeks video.

#3 If the coach sent me this play, I would reply back, "If #30 had actually screened the defender, there would not have been anything to look at."

Good calls, thanks for the video upload.
Be very careful about the tone you use when communicating with coaches, ADs, etc, whether on the court or in an email or a phone call later. In this day and age, anything written and sent can come back to haunt you later. Even in this day of video cameras in phones, and these things called YouTube and the interwebs, you never know where your behavior or communications on the court may appear.

No matter how right we may be, as officials, there is a higher level of expectation for us. Act professionally at all times.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2016, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Be very careful about the tone you use when communicating with coaches, ADs, etc, whether on the court or in an email or a phone call later. In this day and age, anything written and sent can come back to haunt you later. Even in this day of video cameras in phones, and these things called YouTube and the interwebs, you never know where your behavior or communications on the court may appear.

No matter how right we may be, as officials, there is a higher level of expectation for us. Act professionally at all times.
R-E-L-A-X - I was joking
Old Fri Jan 15, 2016, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
R-E-L-A-X - I was joking
Cheerleader.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2016, 01:26pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post

Quote:
R-E-L-A-X - I was joking
Yes you are, but this is a perfect example of how tone and mood cannot be interpreted by those reading someone else's words.

And who says W&S is not relaxed? All he did was type a response.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2016, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
tone and mood cannot be interpreted by those reading someone else's words.
....should be the banner phrase of every forum I have ever seen or been on, hopefully most realize that.

But I do find it comical in this situation that this coach felt it necessary to point out what she felt was a mistake by the crew, when the root cause of the problem was her own players.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2016, 02:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
....should be the banner phrase of every forum I have ever seen or been on, hopefully most realize that.

But I do find it comical in this situation that this coach felt it necessary to point out what she felt was a mistake by the crew, when the root cause of the problem was her own players.
I thought it was more funny that I couldn't determine anything by the angle she sent in.
Old Fri Jan 15, 2016, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badnewsref View Post
i thought it was more funny that i couldn't determine anything by the angle she sent in.
+1