The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 11:03am
Back from the DL

High school cancels season for team in assault investigation

Story Link

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (AP) -- After three basketball players were charged with raping a teammate in an apparent hazing incident, a Tennessee high school has taken the unusual step of canceling the rest of the season, officials say.

The Ooltewah High School season has been called off "so that the criminal justice system can work the way we expect," Hamilton County Schools Superintendent Rick Smith said Wednesday.

Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association Executive Director Bernard Childress said this is the first time he could remember a school canceling a season for disciplinary reasons.

Three teens face aggravated rape and aggravated assault charges in connection with injuries to a teammate, who underwent surgery after being assaulted while attending a basketball tournament in Gatlinburg. Tennessee law defines aggravated rape as a rape in which the defendant either has a weapon, causes bodily injury or is aided or abetted by another.

None of the teens has been named because they're all juveniles.

Smith spoke before the school board held a closed executive session. He said he canceled the rest of the season because he was concerned public speculation about the case "could threaten the integrity" of the investigation.

"This decision is not a reflection upon the coaching staff," Smith said. "Indeed, law enforcement officials have to date found no evidence any adult acted improperly. Likewise, this decision is not meant to punish the boys on the team who are innocent of any wrongdoing and simply want to play high school sports."

Two women attending Wednesday's meeting said they are mothers of Ooltewah players and their sons had been beaten by teammates during the trip to Gatlinburg.

"I do want justice for the boy that was hospitalized and for my son and his other teammates who were assaulted," said Miika Montgomery, the mother of a player. "Do I think that (the arrested player) needs to go to jail? Yes, I do. Do I think the act was malicious? Yes, I do. I think it was very malicious and predatorial."

Authorities said the investigation is ongoing. Current charges pertain to one victim only.

"At some point there will be questions for this board, and I believe the most important one we have to ask ourselves is what could have been done differently or better," board chairman Jonathan Welch said.

Scott Bennett, the Hamilton County School District's attorney, said the district will study its anti-hazing policy and make sure it's being communicated to students.

Bennett also said law enforcement officials in Hamilton County and Sevier County, where Gatlinburg is, told the school district not to conduct its own investigation.

The Hamilton County district attorney's office and the sheriff's office are investigating whether an "ongoing pattern of assaults" may have been committed "under the guise of hazing." The district attorney's office said in its release this week that nobody has reported any criminal behavior in Hamilton County by anyone associated with the team thus far.

------

AP Sports Writer Teresa Walker in Nashville, Tennessee, contributed to this report.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Other than being sad, why is this relevant?
Old Thu Jan 07, 2016, 11:08pm
Back from the DL

Because most of us work high school basketball games.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

I know that something similar has happened due to hazing at least twice in the past dozen years in NV. One school shut down both the girls and boys basketball teams and hasn't played since. Another dropped several juniors and seniors from the team in a different sport with about three games left in the season and elected to move several JV players up to finish the season. That was tantamount to ending the season though as this team lost all remaining contests, including in the first round of the playoffs. In both cases the coaches were removed too.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 08:52am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Other than being sad, why is this relevant?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Because most of us work high school basketball games.
None of us will be working that team's games.
Old Fri Jan 08, 2016, 04:22pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
None of us will be working that team's games.
Not anymore. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)