The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Video Request- Kansas/Oklahoma Shooting Foul followed by T

3.9 seconds left in the 1st half. Defender appears to make a legal play on the ball and the official, looking through the players, calls a shooting foul.
Kansas defender reaction warranted a T IMO but it was not called as Bill Self earns an easy T yelling in the calling officials face.

T was easy but I thought the shooting foul was a complete guess and a pretty egregious call.

Last edited by VaTerp; Tue Jan 05, 2016 at 10:52am.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

He was straight-lined and had no look at the play. So he must have guessed. If you see "asses and elbows", you have to "move to improve" is what my mentors have told me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
3.9 seconds left in the 1st half. Defender appears to make a legal play on the ball and the official, looking through the players, calls a shooting foul.
Kansas defender reaction warranted a T IMO but it was not called as Bill Self earns an easy T yelling in the calling officials face.

T was easy but I thought the shooting foul was a complete guess and a pretty egregious call.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I was wondering how long it would take for a thread on this play to start.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

I usually know when I screw up. I'll give the player a little rope in an emotional game ...and the coach, if I'm next to him and he is in his box. Easy T here. He is on floor screaming at him. No choice but to T him. Referee called it calmly. Just another call.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 10:14pm
NFHS Official

Mason earned a T as well. If you notice Self was already in the guys ear before the play happened. He's trying to talk to Self, and officiate. He just missed that. Didn't have a good look at it.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
If you notice Self was already in the guys ear before the play happened. He's trying to talk to Self, and officiate. He just missed that. Didn't have a good look at it.
You know, some guys who work tableside C/T multi-task by talking to the coach while officiating all the time. And they're good at it. Gene Steretore is a master at it (sometimes I think he could lay out a picnic blanket at the coach's feet and still officiate). I'm smart enough to know I can't do that. Heck, I can barely walk and chew gum at the same time.

So if you can get away with it and keep getting plays right, why not? The lesson learned in this case may be that the final 10 seconds of a half isn't the best time for it.

Edit: I just saw the play from an angle by the table. You know, I don't think the C got straight-lined so much as he just anticipated. Rare at that level, but we all do it sometimes. Look on C's face was that of immediate regret. I had one like that about four days ago. My worst call of the year; fast break, I'm racing to new L, pull up jumper.....and air in the whistle too quickly. It was a great, clean block. Fiddlesticks.

Last edited by crosscountry55; Mon Jan 04, 2016 at 10:31pm. Reason: Watched the Play
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
You know, some guys who work tableside C/T multi-task by talking to the coach while officiating all the time. And they're good at it. Gene Steretore is a master at it (sometimes I think he could lay out a picnic blanket at the coach's feet and still officiate). I'm smart enough to know I can't do that. Heck, I can barely walk and chew gum at the same time.

So if you can get away with it and keep getting plays right, why not? The lesson learned in this case may be that the final 10 seconds of a half isn't the best time for it.
Sure, but that play could happen in the first ten seconds of the half too. Bottom line is it was a bad call and I'm sure he'l regret it when he sees it on video (perhaps he has already.)
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 10:36pm
beware big brother

I missed the play and haven't seen the replay, but it doesn't matter how bad the call may have been. If Self was out of the box acting like an ass, then he deserved the T. He has been around long enough to know he will briefly get his say, and then it is time to move on.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Dick Vitale said the official should've let Self vent a little more.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I usually know when I screw up. I'll give the player a little rope in an emotional game ...and the coach, if I'm next to him and he is in his box.
Yeah, when I know I kick one they get a little extra rope. Mason's reaction warranted a T but his teamate came over quickly and grabbed him and if I know I just kicked that call I have a hard time sticking the kid based on his immediate reaction there. Would have been interesting to see if the calling official or one of his partners would have got him if Self didnt create the easy T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Mason earned a T as well. If you notice Self was already in the guys ear before the play happened. He's trying to talk to Self, and officiate. He just missed that. Didn't have a good look at it.
Yes, Self was in his ear about something else as he made the call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post

Edit: I just saw the play from an angle by the table. You know, I don't think the C got straight-lined so much as he just anticipated. Rare at that level, but we all do it sometimes. Look on C's face was that of immediate regret. I had one like that about four days ago. My worst call of the year; fast break, I'm racing to new L, pull up jumper.....and air in the whistle too quickly. It was a great, clean block. Fiddlesticks.
This may be the biggest takeaway from this play. Yes, talking to coaches, especially at this level, is a big part of officiating but you can't let it distract you from your primary job of calling plays. I'd bet that trying to multi-task here is what led to just reacting, putting air in the whistle, and guessing on a call. We've all done it. This was just a really bad one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
I missed the play and haven't seen the replay, but it doesn't matter how bad the call may have been. If Self was out of the box acting like an ass, then he deserved the T. He has been around long enough to know he will briefly get his say, and then it is time to move on.
I don't think any official in America sees Self's conduct and argues that he did not deserve a T there. That was as easy as it gets.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 11:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
One more reason not to listen to those guys in the first place.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 04, 2016, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post
Vitale also rails about how Indiana should name a building after Bob Knight every time the Hoosiers come up in conversation. I love Dickie V, but the dead horse has been beaten.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 04:35am
Official Forum Member

I agree - looked like anticipation rather than positioning. Didn't help that coach was in his ear. Thought the quick T was great though. A) he deserved it, and that's enough, but B) coach was gonna keep going beserk if you "let him vent" - he went from 0 to 60 in no time and things woulda got ugly. Once that T came, he stepped back (and his assts helped him) from the precipice.

I woulda had a really hard time giving the player a T. He had a knee jerk reaction but it wasn't trying to show the official up as much as surprise/frustrations and he immediately got himself under control on the replay (with help from his teammates). Plus, coach woulda distracted me with his going beserk on the court. Almost like a baseball manager protecting his player by going out and getting rung.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 05:36am
AremRed

The official missed the play due to positioning, not anticipation IMO. He was stacked on the play and had to guess. I've seen the play a dozen times now and have no idea how to position yourself that fast to see between the players. This is a play that any ref could miss, depending on how lucky they were.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2016, 08:25am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Foul call was bad, but Self's reaction was ridiculous and deserved a T. I think he did it on purpose to divert attention away from the player who could have earned a T with his reaction.