The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What Say You? Weak Toss to FT Shooter in LSU Game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100609-what-say-you-weak-toss-ft-shooter-lsu-game.html)

grunewar Sun Jan 03, 2016 03:56pm

What Say You? Weak Toss to FT Shooter in LSU Game

LSU Freshman Ben Simmons Has Referee Make a Strong Pass Before Free Throw | Bleacher Report

BillyMac Sun Jan 03, 2016 04:06pm

Misty Water Color Memories ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 975026)
LSU Freshman Ben Simmons Has Referee Make a Strong Pass Before Free Throw

I've made a few bad bounce passes that I wanted back, but the players never offered.

A very few of us can remember when the trail official handed the ball to the free throw shooter.

Camron Rust Sun Jan 03, 2016 04:09pm

The FT shooter will take it the way I bounce it to them. If they don't like it, too bad. If we started bouncing it more forcefully, someone would mishandle it and blame us. If he bounced it back to me on a good bounce more than once, I'm just starting his 10 count. He doesn't have the right to keep restarting the FT because it doesn't fit his exact wishes.

Freddy Sun Jan 03, 2016 04:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 975027)
A very few of us can remember when the trail official handed the ball to the free throw shooter.

I can, I can!
Along with real jump balls.
And $5.00 middle school games. (Beer only 1.75/pitcher though)
And the player who fouled required to raise one hand in the air.
And drills during rookie camp teaching how to run backwards.

spret93 Sun Jan 03, 2016 08:22pm

Being too picky about your FT pass is one thing.....but that pass bounced twice before the FT line. I'm taking Simmons' side on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AremRed Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:12am

Had a JuCo player toss the ball back to me last year. I threw too early when he was adjusting his knee pad. No big deal, just throw it back when he's ready. No need to pick a fight.

MechanicGuy Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by spret93 (Post 975045)
Being too picky about your FT pass is one thing.....but that pass bounced twice before the FT line. I'm taking Simmons' side on this one.

Yup.

Remington Mon Jan 04, 2016 04:49pm

I have thrown one bad pass like that. I quickly followed the pass to get the ball back from the thrower and then made a better pass. Actually, it was early in a game and i told the players in the lane I never did pass much when I played so I'm a little out of practice. :-)

BigCat Mon Jan 04, 2016 09:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 975028)
The FT shooter will take it the way I bounce it to them. If they don't like it, too bad. If we started bouncing it more forcefully, someone would mishandle it and blame us. If he bounced it back to me on a good bounce more than once, I'm just starting his 10 count. He doesn't have the right to keep restarting the FT because it doesn't fit his exact wishes.

In this case I'd have done what official did here. Bounce it again. I think I'd make a point to tell him though not to do it again. Somebody might call it a violation. It is one under the rule.

Adam Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by spret93 (Post 975045)

Did he catch the ball cleanly or not?

OKREF Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:50am

It doesn't matter how soft it is, if he caught the ball and bounced it back to the official, isn't that a violation, or considered a shot?

jTheUmp Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:03pm

By rule, it might be considered a violation or a free throw attempt (I'm too lazy to look it up right now to confirm either way).

By "spirit and intent" of the rules, there's no way I'd rule it a violation or as a missed free throw in the absence of directive from the PTB telling me to rule it as such.

Adam Tue Jan 05, 2016 01:15pm

If he gets it clean and throws it back, I'd be hard pressed to do anything besides call the violation.

JRutledge Tue Jan 05, 2016 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 975246)
If he gets it clean and throws it back, I'd be hard pressed to do anything besides call the violation.

Same here and he got it cleanly.

Peace

APG Tue Jan 05, 2016 01:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 975246)

If I ever 2 bounce a ball to a shooter, I'd ask for the ball back myself.