The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Fox 40 Mini Whistle - Discontinued? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100603-fox-40-mini-whistle-discontinued.html)

Cobra Sat Jan 02, 2016 05:56pm

Fox 40 Mini Whistle - Discontinued?

Does anyone know what happened to the Fox 40 mini whistle without the CMG? I can't seem to find it on any of the officiating suppliers websites, Amazon, nor the Fox 40 website.

tnolan Sat Jan 02, 2016 06:27pm

Found some on Amazon and eBay, but you're right otherwise. Not easy to find...Man, if they discontinue this model I might discontinue officiating!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

BillyMac Sat Jan 02, 2016 07:04pm

Seek And You Will Find (Mathew 7:7) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnolan (Post 974983)
Found some on Amazon and eBay, but you're right otherwise. Not easy to find...Man, if they discontinue this model I might discontinue officiating!

Amazon.com : Fox 40 Mini Safety Whistle with Breakaway Lanyard Black : Coach And Referee Whistles : Sports & Outdoors

Fox 40 Mini Whistle Black | eBay

The Fox 40 Mini is frowned upon around here. Not loud enough.

Cobra Sat Jan 02, 2016 07:05pm

Yeah there are a few of them out there, but all the ones I see either force me to buy a lanyard I don't want, are way overpriced, or are only available in a bunch of bright colors.

Cole4088 Sat Jan 02, 2016 07:22pm

Do you guys like those?? I have one and it's ok. They have a bunch here at Dunhams.

JRutledge Sat Jan 02, 2016 09:53pm

I cannot even believe people use that whistle. It was hard to hear and sounded like you did not have a strong whistle.

Peace

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Jan 03, 2016 01:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 974997)
I cannot even believe people use that whistle. It was hard to hear and sounded like you did not have a strong whistle.

Peace

Jeff:

I say this tongue some what in cheek, but I think I was one of the last college officials to switch from the Fox 40 Mini to the Regular Fox 40.

The Fox 40 Mini was the same approximate size as the old Acme Thunderer. And for our "young grasshoppers" out there, the Acme Thunderer was a black plastic whistle with a wooden pea in it. And I could blast it as loud as a Regular Fox 40. When everybody was making the change from the Thunderer to the Fox 40 I changed to the Mini Fox because it was the same size as the Thunderer. So much for a trip down memory lane.

MTD, Sr.

BillyMac Sun Jan 03, 2016 08:51am

Great Minds Think Alike ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 975006)
I was one of the last ... officials to switch from the Fox 40 Mini to the Regular Fox 40.The Fox 40 Mini was the same approximate size as the old Acme Thunderer. And for our "young grasshoppers" out there, the Acme Thunderer was a black plastic whistle with a wooden pea in it. And I could blast it as loud as a Regular Fox 40. When everybody was making the change from the Thunderer to the Fox 40 I changed to the Mini Fox because it was the same size as the Thunderer.

Same for me. I first went to the Regular and didn't like it's large size, so I immediately switched to the Mini. I used it for most of the season until a mentor told me that my Mini whistle wasn't loud enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 974997)
It (Mini) was hard to hear and sounded like you did not have a strong whistle.

Agree.

BryanV21 Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:11am

I use the mini CMG... always have, and I've never had anybody tell me it's not loud enough.

tnolan Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 975014)
I use the mini CMG... always have, and I've never had anybody tell me it's not loud enough.

I've always used the Mini and have often been told I have a very strong whistle.

Sounds like a bunch of old guys huffing and puffing up and down the court without enough air in their lungs! [emoji12]

SE Minnestoa Re Mon Jan 04, 2016 02:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnolan (Post 975018)
I've always used the Mini and have often been told I have a very strong whistle.

Sounds like a bunch of old guys huffing and puffing up and down the court without enough air in their lungs! [emoji12]

I resemble that remark

rsl Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:41am

Never used it for high school games in a full gym, but I loved the mini for small gyms in rec or youth leagues. I haven't been able to get them either lately.