Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 02:35pm
Courageous When Prudent

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Not allowed to add the boxes after the game.

And the rule is "fair" because somewhere there's some coach A who doesn't mind sitting and knows the opposing coach B likes to stand so coach A purposely does not have boxes marked to get an advantage.

The home team is supposed to comply with the rules and if the state says "we use a box" then the home team should be the only ones to suffer if they don't have boxes.
Excellent example Bob!
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 02:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Not allowed to add the boxes after the game.

And the rule is "fair" because somewhere there's some coach A who doesn't mind sitting and knows the opposing coach B likes to stand so coach A purposely does not have boxes marked to get an advantage.

The home team is supposed to comply with the rules and if the state says "we use a box" then the home team should be the only ones to suffer if they don't have boxes.
And here I was just thinking, "why punish the visiting team for the home school's intransigence?"

Bob's example is even better.
Old Thu Dec 31, 2015, 08:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post

But I really don't think it is fair to blame coaches, whether they've heard of the rule or not. If the refs are too darned lazy to enforce it (or, perhaps for tournaments, been told not to), why should the coaches spend any time worrying about it?
I totally disagree. I see many coaches that know the rules, only to not tell their players directly what they are not going to play with. They ultimately allow their kids to wear certain things. We just enforce the rule. But they know what they look like in the locker room or what the expectations of the coach is, why are they not telling them what they will not allow and move on? NO, they put it on us to see and in many cases, we do not even know what they have on until right before game time.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 02, 2016, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

While not a referee, I do spend a lot of time at games of various levels. To reiterate a point mentioned earlier I have never seen a sub-varsity level game have the "fashion" rules applied, even though I have seen it "warned" dozens (even by the same refs at different parts of the season). Girls pre-wrap color is the most comical.

At the Varsity level it really only appears like undershirts are what the refs focused on. I'll be honest though, because those pre-game talks happen a bit further away in a louder environment I can't be sure if they are actually discussing the sleeves/tights/bands as well. I just know I've seen kids sent back off for a t-shirt color, but not for tights/sleeves.

That being said it does appear most teams are getting better at compliance consistency (at the varsity level). Though I did point out to a kid who started cramping up in the 3rd quarter once "It's 75 degrees in here, you're sweating like a pig, and are wearing full arm under armour and full length tights. Maybe not such a good idea?".
Old Sat Jan 02, 2016, 10:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

Hair Control Device ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAlbc View Post
Girls pre-wrap color is the most comical.
We have some top notch varsity officials (state tournament) here that incorrectly treat prewrap around the entire head as a hair control device (no color restrictions), even though they've been told otherwise. Subvarsity officials observe these varsity guys and the hits just keep on coming.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)