The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Spot Throw-in Test Question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100469-spot-throw-test-question.html)

just another ref Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:31pm

Spot Throw-in Test Question

The designated out of bounds spot for the throw-in is nearest where the violation occurs for violations, goaltending, basket interference, and free throw violations when no additional free throws awarded.

true or false

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 972133)
The designated out of bounds spot for the throw-in is nearest where the violation occurs for violations, goaltending, basket interference, and free throw violations when no additional free throws awarded.

true or false

In all seriousness, is this a trick question?

MTD, Sr.

frezer11 Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:56pm

If the defense commits basket interference then award two points for team A, and B gets an end line throw in as if it followed a basket. So this should be false as there is a scenario in which it is not designated spot

just another ref Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 972137)
In all seriousness, is this a trick question?

MTD, Sr.

I'm fairly certain it wasn't intended as a trick, but whether it was or wasn't, I had to check one of the two answers.

BigCat Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 972133)

true or false

Horrible question as you know. If it isn't a trick and just really poorly written it should be false. The rules call it a "designated spot throw in." The throw in is the noun. We know what that is. When they say "designated spot for the throw in" you could read that simply as where they hand team ball to begin with...bad question all around. They should have used" designated spot throw-in" instead of the other. As you know...you've had some real winner questions on that test...

Nevadaref Wed Dec 09, 2015 06:05am

I would answer true.
Part of the NFHS rules state that when the designated spot for a throw-in would be on the end line (in the team's backcourt) the team will have the privilege of makin the throw-in from any point behind the end line.
In my opinion, just because the throw-in becomes one that has the running privilege, doesn't mean that designating a spot for it originally wasn't part of the process. The question in the OP is asking how we are to designate the throw-in location. The answer is the nearest spot to the violation.

just another ref Wed Dec 09, 2015 06:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 972152)
I would answer true.
Part of the NFHS rules state that when the designated spot for a throw-in would be on the end line (in the team's backcourt) the team will have the privilege of makin the throw-in from any point behind the end line.
In my opinion, just because the throw-in becomes one that has the running privilege, doesn't mean that designating a spot for it originally wasn't part of the process. The question in the OP is asking how we are to designate the throw-in location. The answer is the nearest spot to the violation.

I could come nearer going along with that answer if the question hadn't lumped all the violations together, some of which clearly do result in a spot throw in, while others clearly do not.

BillyMac Wed Dec 09, 2015 06:54am

Run The Endlne Throwin ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 972139)
If the defense commits basket interference then award two points for team A, and B gets an end line throw in as if it followed a basket. So this should be false as there is a scenario in which it is not designated spot

Agree.

bob jenkins Wed Dec 09, 2015 08:12am

Quote:

That's not the question.

I would answer "true"

BigCat Wed Dec 09, 2015 08:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 972152)
I would answer true.

It's just a bad question. Basket interference and goaltending happen in the paint. "Nearest spot to the violation" would be in the paint. When that happens the player is moved to the lane line extended as you know. The throw in doesnt start at the "nearest spot to violation." If they are testing knowledge they should have said "designated spot throw-in." Hard to say what they mean by saying designated spot for the throw in.

Raymond Wed Dec 09, 2015 08:41am

Questions like this do nothing to improve rules knowledge.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

ODog Wed Dec 09, 2015 09:03am

In all seriousness, who is writing these test questions? Your board leadership? Your interpreter? If so, I'm deeply disturbed.

If it's just some guys having fun who "kind of" know the rules and want to try to come up with a fake test of their own, OK, but if this is being used as the preseason exam and carries any sort of weight, wow.

egj13 Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:38am

What I find disturbing is that most of us would answer true simply because we have become accustomed to reading what they really meant...lol...because they can't write test questions that actually make sense!

goodros_nemesis Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:13pm

Quote:

This is how I answered as well. There were a couple of gems this year. My favorite was the one that said, "The ball hits a player and goes out of bounds... true or false?"

frezer11 Wed Dec 09, 2015 02:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 972159)
That's not the question.

I would answer "true"

Fair enough in that you don't need the explanation. I only included for the rational as to why it is not designated spot, and therefore false.