The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   L signaling a good 3 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100467-l-signaling-good-3-a.html)

bas2456 Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:38pm

L signaling a good 3

Had a partner tonight argue that in two man, the L should signal a good 3.

I've always been taught that the only time the L should signal a good 3 is if the trail doesn't pick up the 3 point attempt signal from the L and doesn't signal the good 3.

Does anyone have the L always signaling a good 3 from his primary?

bballref3966 Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:51pm

You always signal a good 3 if it's your primary in 2-man. This includes L.

Typically if I'm L and the T also marks a 3-point attempt (near intersection of PCAs), I will drop my arm and watch rebounding.

L does not mirror T's touchdown from T's primary, however. Some old timers in my state still do that and it annoys me.

All this is assuming your state follows the NFHS mechanics for 3-pointers.

bas2456 Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 972124)
You always signal a good 3 if it's your primary in 2-man. This includes L.

Typically if I'm L and the T also marks a 3-point attempt (near intersection of PCAs), I will drop my arm and watch rebounding.

L does not mirror T's touchdown from T's primary, however. Some old timers in my state still do that and it annoys me.

All this is assuming your state follows the NFHS mechanics for 3-pointers.

This is what I've always done, and I pregame this every night too.

deecee Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:56pm

Who cares. If that's the worst I can expect from my partner then I think it will be a well officiated game.

bballref3966 Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 972126)
This is what I've always done, and I pregame this every night too.

You stated in your original post that you didn't think L is supposed to signal touchdown on a good 3 in 2-man.

That is not correct for NFHS mechanics, your partner was right.

bas2456 Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 972128)
You stated in your original post that you didn't think L is supposed to signal touchdown on a good 3 in 2-man.

Not what I stated. I wrote what I had been taught.

bballref3966 Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 972129)

And what you've been taught is not correct under NFHS mechanics.

AremRed Wed Dec 09, 2015 02:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 972123)

I've always been taught that the only time the L should signal a good 3 is if the trail doesn't pick up the 3 point attempt signal from the L and doesn't signal the good 3.

Have you read and/or do you follow the NFHS mechanics manual sir?

bob jenkins Wed Dec 09, 2015 08:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 972150)

He's in IL. We use our own mechanics. In this instance (and ion most instances), though, they are the same.

Signal the attempt and the success if it's in your primary. T mirrors L on the success (not on the attempt) when the shot is from L's primary. L does NOT mirror T.

Raymond Wed Dec 09, 2015 08:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 972160)
He's in IL. We use our own mechanics. In this instance (and ion most instances), though, they are the same.

Then it should be published somewhere.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Raymond Wed Dec 09, 2015 08:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 972127)
Who cares. If that's the worst I can expect from my partner then I think it will be a well officiated game.

It means someone doesn't now the proper mechanics under which they operate nor where to look them up.

I don't expect my partners to know everything, but they should know where to look.

bob jenkins Wed Dec 09, 2015 08:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 972164)
Then it should be published somewhere.

There is a .ppt available

deecee Wed Dec 09, 2015 08:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 972165)
It means someone doesn't now the proper mechanics under which they operate nor where to look them up.

I don't expect my partners to know everything, but they should know where to look.

I don't think this is about where they are looking. The only mention is scoring a made 3 pointer from the L's primary, which the L and T should mirror the signal.

Adam Wed Dec 09, 2015 09:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 972168)
I don't think this is about where they are looking. The only mention is scoring a made 3 pointer from the L's primary, which the L and T should mirror the signal.

Where to look = resources, not on the court.

Raymond Wed Dec 09, 2015 09:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 972174)
Where to look = resources, not on the court.

Thank you... exactly what I meant.

Raymond Wed Dec 09, 2015 09:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 972166)
There is a .ppt available

[emoji12] My point exacty.

JRutledge Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 972123)

Well I am a clinician in your state and I can tell you officially, that the L signals a good 3 point shot if it came from their primary. The T mirrors in that situation.

Actually the T always signals a good 3 point shot in 2 person and the L only gives a good signal when it comes from their primary. So if the shoot is at the top of the key and goes in and the T has the shot signal and if the ball goes in, that is the only official that should signal a good 3 point shot.

This has been the mechanic as long as I remember the procedure.

Peace

bas2456 Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:39am

Interesting.

The concern would be then on threes from the L's primary that you end up with four eyes on the ball in flight and none on rebounding action.

Just another thing to go over in pregame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRutledge Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 972128)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 972129)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bballref3966 (Post 972130)
And what you've been taught is not correct under NFHS mechanics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 972150)

In our state we do not use pure NF Mechanics. As a matter of fact we do not even give out that book for review. We use most things the NF does, but we have many little modifications because the NF has been slow to change or to adjust to things that have caused problems. Basketball honestly is the sport we use things closest to the NF, but other sports like football and baseball had some totally different philosophies on many things and I know a big reason we stopped using the NF Mechanics in general.

For example in our state we are to never bounce the ball on the end line under any circumstances. That is not the NF Mechanic from my understanding and has not been that case for a long time.

So no, he would not have read the NF Mechanics unless he bought the book himself and it might not apply to what we do in the IHSA in certain situations. My understanding we use most of those mechanics, but in this case we do not have only the Trail giving a good 3 point shot if the shot came from the L.

Peace

OKREF Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 972211)
Interesting.

The concern would be then on threes from the L's primary that you end up with four eyes on the ball in flight and none on rebounding action.

Why would there be four eyes on the ball? If the three is in the L's primary, than the trail is looking off ball and rebounding action as the lead is staying with the shooter. The trail will only mirror the make.

bas2456 Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 972214)
Why would there be four eyes on the ball? If the three is in the L's primary, than the trail is looking off ball and rebounding action as the lead is staying with the shooter. The trail will only mirror the make.

That's why you pregame it. To eliminate the concern.

goodros_nemesis Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:00pm

https://nfhs.arbitersports.com/front...ual/index.html

Page 24, mechanic #18.

You really ought to read this book, along with the rules book and the case book every year, even if you can quote most of it from memory. Reference them again any time you find yourself wondering about something.

Rob1968 Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 972211)
Interesting.

As Lead, I see little reason to track the flight of the ball.

As Lead, I give the 3-point attempt signal, and take care of the shooter. You will see the ball go through the hoop with your peripheral vision, (and the players next actions will be a huge clue as to whether the shot was successful). Once that a jumpshooter is back down on the floor, and not in peril of late contact from a defender, one's primary focus can shift to the rebounding and other actions, and the shooter and his/her defender become the peripheral.
Some officials, having squared up to the floor to cover the 3-point attempt, will then rotate slightly towards the basket while continuing to "protect the shooter."
Getting "deep" off the endline, and as wide on the endline as the shooter/defender match-up, can be very helpful in expanding one's field of vision, and maximizing the peripheral area to include the players further away from a primary match-up/shot attempt, and then, the shooter/defender match-up, as the main focus becomes the subsequent rebounding action.

Less experienced officials tend to focus on a player, or a match-up, to the degree of not utilizing their peripheral vision/info. A more experienced official is able to relax and be aware of a larger area, including the missed/made shot attempt, while not losing his/her primary responsibility.

Rich Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 972215)
That's why you pregame it. To eliminate the concern.

I wonder how long some of these pregames are. If I have to tell a partner to take a jump-shooter to the floor in his primary, it's gonna be a long night.

JRutledge Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 972214)

You do not know a ball goes in the basket without looking at the ball? That sounds odd.

And not all shooters are contested either. At some point the L is going to have to get off of the shooter and go to basic rebounding action. There are some sacrifices, but let us not make it sound like the L never has an angle if the ball goes in or is totally aware. The players if nothing else tell us when the ball goes in by their actions.

Peace

OKREF Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 972221)
You do not know a ball goes in the basket without looking at the ball? That sounds odd.

And not all shooters are contested either. At some point the L is going to have to get off of the shooter and go to basic rebounding action. There are some sacrifices, but let us not make it sound like the L never has an angle if the ball goes in or is totally aware. The players if nothing else tell us when the ball goes in by their actions.

Peace

My point was why would the trail be watching the shooter in the leads primary? He should be off the ball. I understand that the lead will eventually have to see the ball go in the basket, hopefully we are in a position to see that. I know that when I am in the lead and have a shooter in my primary I get an angle to see the shooter and flight of the ball.

Rich Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 972223)
My point was why would the trail be watching the shooter in the leads primary? He should be off the ball. I understand that the lead will eventually have to see the ball go in the basket, hopefully we are in a position to see that. I know that when I am in the lead and have a shooter in my primary I get an angle to see the shooter and flight of the ball.

I don't have to see the ball go in. Is someone going to foul the ball?

JRutledge Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 972225)

No, but you make a lot of sacrifices in calling 3 person. Not every shot is a contested one, certainly not every 3 point shot and once the shot is over, we have to move on anyway. There are situations where you have to stay longer, but not as common.

Peace

OKREF Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 972225)

I get it. You know by the reaction of the players if the shot was made.

JRutledge Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 972227)
I get it. You know by the reaction of the players if the shot was made.

Crowd too. And they certainly react when a 3 point shot is made.

Peace

BillyMac Wed Dec 09, 2015 05:39pm

Embarrassed ??? Of Course I Was Embarrassed ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 972221)
You do not know a ball goes in the basket without looking at the ball?

In thirty-five years, twice, as the lead, I did not get a chance to see the ball go in, or not go in, and screwed up. In both cases I was very intent on watching a troublesome matchup in my primary. Once I assumed the ball went in, when it didn't (it actually went out of bounds, I didn't make the call, and the players just made their own throwin before my partner killed the play). Another time, I made an out of bounds call on my endline when the ball actually went quickly through a very loose net and went directly out of bounds. I got help from my partner then as well.

Eastshire Thu Dec 10, 2015 08:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 972267)
In thirty-five years, twice, as the lead, I did not get a chance to see the ball go in, or not go in, and screwed up. In both cases I was very intent on watching a troublesome matchup in my primary. Once I assumed the ball went in, when it didn't (it actually went out of bounds, I didn't make the call, and the players just made their own throwin before my partner killed the play). Another time, I made an out of bounds call on my endline when the ball actually went quickly through a very loose net and went directly out of bounds. I got help from my partner then as well.

I had one last year that hit just the front of the net that sounded like just the inside of the net. It made for some confusion.

referee99 Fri Dec 11, 2015 02:26am

Here is a video discussing this point.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zT4-SO0RHLM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JRutledge Fri Dec 11, 2015 08:51am

I am going to assume this is Greg that posted the video. I love your videos and have found value in using them for my classes and training situations.

Peace

referee99 Fri Dec 11, 2015 08:55am

Love it

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 972497)
I am going to assume this is Greg that posted the video. I love your videos and have found value in using them for my classes and training situations.

Peace

That is great to hear. There are many, many people who are visual learners and video is the best way to teach to them. Glad to hear they provide value.

Peace!

bob jenkins Fri Dec 11, 2015 09:02am

Depending on where you are (how important these things are), some of the "marking" signals in the video could be seen as incorrect -- too high (straight up; not head height), and with the full hand (instead of three fingers).