The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Direct deposit from the schools? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100464-direct-deposit-schools.html)

bainsey Tue Dec 08, 2015 02:24pm

Direct deposit from the schools?

RefPay hasn't really caught on in these parts yet. (Right now, one school uses it.) I just got an email from our assignor saying that one school is going to direct deposit for all payments.

I'm not sure this is the way to go. Providing our account information is one source -- be it RefPay or whatever else -- is fine, but to multiple schools? I sense a paperwork snowball coming. Anyone else out there do direct deposits with the schools?

Rich Tue Dec 08, 2015 02:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 972065)
RefPay hasn't really caught on in these parts yet. (Right now, one school uses it.) I just got an email from our assignor saying that one school is going to direct deposit for all payments.

I'm not sure this is the way to go. Providing our account information is one source -- be it RefPay or whatever else -- is fine, but to multiple schools? I sense a paperwork snowball coming. Anyone else out there do direct deposits with the schools?

Why not? Schools pay vendors *all the time*. To them, we're just another vendor providing a service.

BatteryPowered Tue Dec 08, 2015 02:29pm

A few districts do that around here. I have no problem giving them the information and unless you change banks it only has to be provided once.

bob jenkins Tue Dec 08, 2015 02:37pm

And, your bank number and account number are on every check you write, so it's not like you are giving out information that isn't already pretty widely available.

jTheUmp Tue Dec 08, 2015 03:05pm

If you're mainly concerned about the amount of paperwork you'll have to fill out... yeah, that's going to be rather unavoidable. Perhaps you can print up some stickers or labels with your account information on them that you could just attach to the individual schools forms.

If you're concerned about some nefarious employee stealing your bank account information, I'd suggest setting up a separate free starter checking account for the direct deposits, and transferring the payments out of there as soon as they're deposited.... perhaps even at a separate bank from your normal bank if you're ultra-concerned.

BlueDevilRef Tue Dec 08, 2015 03:38pm

One school does it here. They email you the stuff before the game and it's easy. Plus, no waiting on the mail to come. Paid much much faster

I wish I had a cool signature

Kansas Ref Tue Dec 08, 2015 03:48pm

One of the Catholic schools issues payment via Refpay.com, I'm supposed to get a check tmrw for a game I did on Thursday-the public schools in the area are still using 'snail mail'.

bainsey Tue Dec 08, 2015 09:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 972080)
If you're mainly concerned about the amount of paperwork you'll have to fill out... yeah, that's going to be rather unavoidable.

Not if everyone goes to RefPay or another similar service. I hear it work so well elsewhere; I'd just like to see it here.

bas2456 Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:51pm

I haven't heard of any districts in the Chicagoland area (at least the ones I work in) using RefPay or direct deposit.

BillyMac Wed Dec 09, 2015 06:39am

Almost Ten Percent ...

A sixth high school in our local area (out of seventy) has started using Ref Pay this season. Officials who have blocked out such schools in the past due to a lack of confidence in the system may have to think twice now with more, and more, schools going to the system, or they may see their assignment numbers decreasing.

Altor Wed Dec 09, 2015 09:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 972155)
a lack of confidence in the system

I'd have more confidence if they'd stop e-mailing my password to me.