The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Some Coaches Do Have A Sense Of Humor ... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100451-some-coaches-do-have-sense-humor.html)

BillyMac Sat Dec 05, 2015 07:00pm

Some Coaches Do Have A Sense Of Humor ...

Guys on my local board, and a few here on the Forum, have referred to the new headband extensions fashion rule as the Skylar Diggins rule.

Today I worked a girls scrimmage with several teams from three different states. Most of the teams wore reversible scrimmage vests (switching colors depending on the opponent), so we chose not to enforce any of the fashion rules (it was only a scrimmage). In a real game, there would have been issues with undershirt colors, headband colors, and headband extensions. We chose not to ignore these issues, rather we cautioned the coaches regarding these rules, especially the new rules, and that these rules would be enforced when their season started in a few days.

One coach remarked that he already informed his girls not to wear any Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles headbands. That's funnier than calling them Skylar Diggins headbands.

https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.M41...=0&w=300&h=300

The $64,000 question: Who can name all four of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? (No fair Googling the answer)

BlueDevilRef Sat Dec 05, 2015 07:17pm

Cmon. Now I know I will be getting one right. I'll even triple down and name weapons for each:
Leonardo-blue-katana blade
Raphael-red-sai
Michaelangelo-orange-nunchucks
Donatello-purple-bow staff

I'll take my 64,000 in any form of currency, as long as it's the US dollar

I wish I had a cool signature

DRJ1960 Sat Dec 05, 2015 08:38pm

had three in last nights game.... As a sub entered in the third qtr she tried to sneak it past me... when I had her remove it a spectator yelled "That's the ONLY thing you've seen tonight!"

Laughed out loud....:p

Mark Padgett Sat Dec 05, 2015 08:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 971750)
Who can name all four of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

Jake, Earl, Joey and Mendy. :rolleyes:

Dad Sat Dec 05, 2015 09:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 971751)
Cmon. Now I know I will be getting one right. I'll even triple down and name weapons for each:
Leonardo-blue-katana blade
Raphael-red-sai
Michaelangelo-orange-nunchucks
Donatello-purple-bow staff

I'll take my 64,000 in any form of currency, as long as it's the US dollar

I wish I had a cool signature

How the @#$% can you remember this but not the rules? :p

grunewar Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRJ1960 (Post 971754)
As a sub entered in the third qtr she tried to sneak it past me... when I had her remove it a spectator yelled "That's the ONLY thing you've seen tonight!"

Laughed out loud....:p

I don't care who you are, that's funny! Made me chuckle!

zm1283 Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:51pm

I've had partners who are reluctant to make girls take these kind of headbands off before games. I'm not really sure why. They know the rule but don't want to make anyone upset I guess. If everyone would just enforce the uniform rules the first couple weeks of the season, it would help later on.

RedAndWhiteRef Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 971750)
Guys on my local board, and a few here on the Forum, have referred to the new headband extensions fashion rule as the Skylar Diggins rule.

Today I worked a girls scrimmage with several teams from three different states. Most of the teams wore reversible scrimmage vests (switching colors depending on the opponent), so we chose not to enforce any of the fashion rules (it was only a scrimmage). In a real game, there would have been issues with undershirt colors, headband colors, and headband extensions. We chose not to ignore these issues, rather we cautioned the coaches regarding these rules, especially the new rules, and that these rules would be enforced when their season started in a few days.

One coach remarked that he already informed his girls not to wear any Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles headbands. That's funnier than calling them Skylar Diggins headbands.

https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.M41...=0&w=300&h=300

The $64,000 question: Who can name all four of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? (No fair Googling the answer)

Glad the coach rolled with the punches.

That's standard procedure here too. Basically just a "Hey Coach, since this is a scrimmage it's no big deal, but in the regular season that isn't going to be allowed." Most coaches I've dealt with know the rule and blame their players for not listening to them.

BillyMac Sun Dec 06, 2015 09:53am

It's All About The Benjamins ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 971751)
I'll take my 64,000 in any form of currency, as long as it's the US dollar.

I have absolutely no idea if you're right, but you seem confident in your answers, so you win the prize.

My last contact with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was 25 years ago when I took my three kids to see the movie.

Mark Padgett, the Forum treasurer, will be contacting you soon to have $64,000.00 transferred into your checking account. I'm sure that he has enough money in the Forum account because we've all been sending him our Forum dues every year. Of course, Mark Padgett will be needing your checking account information to make the transfer, but I'm sure that that will all be on the up and up. Every year he only takes my Forum dues, nothing else, so we can trust him.

BillyMac Sun Dec 06, 2015 09:57am

Please Do, And Thank You ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 971760)
I don't care who you are, that's funny! Made me chuckle!

A common spectator comment around here is, "Hey ref, do you want me check on your seeing eye dog in your car?".

Rich Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:14am

Open your eye, Cyclops!

bainsey Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 971762)
I've had partners who are reluctant to make girls take these kind of headbands off before games. I'm not really sure why. They know the rule but don't want to make anyone upset I guess. If everyone would just enforce the uniform rules the first couple weeks of the season, it would help later on.

Exactly. I worked with some rookies this past week, and I made it clear that while fashion police rules are posterial pains, we're expected to enforce them at all levels we work. If you don't, you're just screwing over the following crews who will work with those teams.

We had one coach who attempted to play the "it's the first game, can't we let it go this one time" card, but it was clearly disingenuous. We were also dealing with one illegal T-shirt, which can be a sensitive area with younger girls, but you have to politely stand firm.