The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 04, 2015, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
You're reaction and approach to this coach doesn't sit well with me.
Please elaborate.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2015, 06:49pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
Please elaborate.
You could have avoided all that talk with the coach by simply asking for a sub until the issue is corrected. The way you spoke to the coach sounds very aggressive and confrontational and does not sound professional IMO. Especially the part about not letting his girl play later in the season and spreading the news around to watch out for this girl.

Control what YOU can control and do it the right way, you are not there to act like the coach's parent.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2015, 10:33am
Esteemed Forum Member

“What’s It Gonna Be, Boy? (Paradise By The Dashboard Light, 1977) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
I'm just going to consider this a troll.
So where do you fit?

Stand up and be counted.

Enforce? Not Enforce? Misunderstand? Ignore?

Have I covered all the bases?

Please don't make me start a poll thread.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." (Pogo, Walt Kelly, 1971)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 05, 2015 at 10:45am.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2015, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
So where do you fit?

Stand up and be counted.

Enforce? Not Enforce? Misunderstand? Ignore?

Have I covered all the bases?

Please don't make me start a poll thread.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." (Pogo, Walt Kelly, 1971)
I enforce the rules when I'm the official on the game.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2015, 11:01am
Esteemed Forum Member

Good Answer ...

Quote:
I enforce the rules when I'm the official on the game.
Excellent. I may have misunderstood one of your earlier posts. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
I asked him why it was that we are half way through the season and we still have girls wearing illegal undershirts. His response was, "Because none of the officials have done anything about it."
Quote:
I see absolutely nothing wrong with the coach's line of thinking.
I may have been confused because the coach was also a basketball official.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 05, 2015 at 11:09am.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2015, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
You could have avoided all that talk with the coach by simply asking for a sub until the issue is corrected. The way you spoke to the coach sounds very aggressive and confrontational and does not sound professional IMO. Especially the part about not letting his girl play later in the season and spreading the news around to watch out for this girl.

Control what YOU can control and do it the right way, you are not there to act like the coach's parent.
This sums up my reasoning pretty well. You seemed to take it personally that he allowed someone on his team to have the wrong color undershirt. J

The idea of 'spreading the word' also makes it sound like you want to punish him further. Just enforce the rule and move on.

If I know a coach is also a referee, they get no different treatment from me when I officiate their game. No additional conversation with them during the game, the leash for technical fouls is exactly the same as any other coach, and I do not discuss plays from a previous game with them.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2015, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Excellent. I may have misunderstood one of your earlier posts. Sorry.

I may have been confused because the coach was also a basketball official.
Yes, he is also a basketball official, but not in the context of that game. He is a coach and should be treated as one. He should be treated the exact same as any other coach in the league.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2015, 07:29pm
High Five Master

Update----I got to be the bad guy again today.

BDR (me)-coach, home team can only have white undershirts and all sleeves/tights have to be same color.
Coach-"really??? (Sarcastically), why has nobody said anything and why hasn't it mattered before??
BDR-coach, I don't know but it matters today, please deal with it before your team continues warming up.

I am sick of hearing this exact convo at every junior high game. Ugh.

I wish I had a cool signature
Old Sat Dec 05, 2015, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Sadly at the college level the fashion police is not as high a priority as we make it here on the HS level.
Sadly? We spend more time worrying about uniform rules than we do learning how to call our balls and strikes. I see new officials who don't know what a pivot foot is but they can tell you what the logo restrictions are.

We don't have our priorities straight.
Old Sat Dec 05, 2015, 10:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmetfan View Post
oh really? I can't speak for ncaam but watch an ncaaw game and see if that's the case. To say our sre is vigilant about uniform rules would be an understatement.
+1
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 09:36am
Esteemed Forum Member

It Is Possible To Do Both ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
We spend more time worrying about uniform rules than we do learning how to call our balls and strikes. I see new officials who don't know what a pivot foot is but they can tell you what the logo restrictions are. We don't have our priorities straight.
We have a few of those guys. We also have some guys who can call the heck out of pivot feet, block charges, etc., but either misunderstand, or don't care to enforce the fashion standards.

Luckily we have a ton of guys that can do both. That's the high priority that we should all be striving for.

Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 09:39am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
We have a few of those guys. We also have some guys who can call the heck out of pivot feet, block charges, etc., but either misunderstand, or don't care to enforce the fashion standards.

Luckily we have a ton of guys that can do both. That's the high priority that we should all be striving for.
I only need one of three to know the fashion crap. I need all three to be good playcallers.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 10:01am
Esteemed Forum Member

What's A Shot Clock ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I only need one of three to know the fashion crap. I need all three to be good playcallers.
Connecticut prep schools (varsity only) use a shot clock. I'm a 100% NFHS guy, so I always pray that my partner will be a college guy.

Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 10:40am
Courageous When Prudent

Thumbs down

Quote:
Connecticut prep schools (varsity only) use a shot clock. I'm a 100% NFHS guy, so I always pray that my partner will be a college guy.
If Connecticut prep schools use shot clocks, and you officiate Connecticut prep school, then you need to be 100% an official who knows the pertinent rules.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 11:37am
Esteemed Forum Member

Shot Clock Preparation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
If Connecticut prep schools use shot clocks, and you officiate Connecticut prep school, then you need to be 100% an official who knows the pertinent rules.
I only get two, or three, varsity prep school games (only eight such schools in our local area) a year. My local interpreter makes available a handout on prep school rule differences (NCAA/NFHS hybrid), including a short synopsis of shot clock rules. I just downloaded and read through the handout yesterday knowing that I have a varsity prep school game next week. I keep the laminated handout (with a short synopsis of shot clock rules) in my bag and make it part of every varsity prep school pregame conference. I sleep well at night knowing that I've done enough to make me a pretty good prep school official.

However, I've been officiating with NFHS rules for thirty-five years (thousands of games) and I'm still stymied by a few of the rules, and interpretations, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that I'm occasionally stymied by NCAA rules, especially shot clock rules.

And it doesn't help that there's usually a poorly trained kid at the table, usually pulled out of the bleachers, working the shot clock that knows less about shot clock rules than a tree stump.

I feel that I've done my job preparing for such games, but it's still great to get an NCAA partner to confidently deal with the shot clock problems that often arise.