The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Headwear (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100395-headwear.html)

liquidthawts Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:13am

Headwear

I just wanted to make sure that I understood what is considered legal headwear. Am I correct in saying the girls are not allowed to wear those hair clips?

bob jenkins Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:16am

I don't know what "those hair clips" are -- but I wouldn't think anything described as a clip could be legally worn.

liquidthawts Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:22am

Thanks

WhistlesAndStripes Tue Nov 24, 2015 04:03pm

Rule 3-4-d states that "Rubber, cloth or elastic bands may be used to control hari. Hard items, including, but not limited to, beads, barrettes and bobbypins, are prohibited."

If you're thinking of the same metal hair clips that I'm thinking of, I tell them during warmups they have to remove them. I've worked games in areas where they think it's OK to wear them with tape over the top of them. I tell them that they can't be worn that way either, not to mention how silly that looks as well.

BillyMac Tue Nov 24, 2015 05:15pm

Colour My World ...

Remember, hair control devices go around hair, headbands go around heads.

That being said, hair control devices (rubber, cloth, or elastic bands) of any color, may be used to control hair

AremRed Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:55am

I've seen several teams have the "Skylar Diggins" style headband this year. Would it be permissible for them to just tuck the loose ends in and play with that? In my judgement that would not be considered unsafe.

bob jenkins Wed Nov 25, 2015 08:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 970722)
I've seen several teams have the "Skylar Diggins" style headband this year. Would it be permissible for them to just tuck the loose ends in and play with that? In my judgement that would not be considered unsafe.

No, it's not legal (absent some state / association directive).

That said, if they are tucked in before I see it, it's a lot harder to see.

AremRed Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 970743)
No, it's not legal (absent some state / association directive).

That said, if they are tucked in before I see it, it's a lot harder to see.

Yeah but it's kinda hard to inform the girls to tuck the loose ends in before I have spotted the loose ends. :o

Other than "the rules say so", what makes these headbands unsafe? The loose ends? One could just as easily grab the hair. The knot? Perhaps, still seems softer than most elbows but we let girls wear those. The non-stretchy fabric? Come on. Is there some other reason?

Rich Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 970749)
Yeah but it's kinda hard to inform the girls to tuck the loose ends in before I have spotted the loose ends. :o

Other than "the rules say so", what makes these headbands unsafe? The loose ends? One could just as easily grab the hair. The knot? Perhaps, still seems softer than most elbows but we let girls wear those. The non-stretchy fabric? Come on. Is there some other reason?

Irrelevant. It's the rule. The NFHS has made this clear.

Raymond Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 970749)

I never care.

BryanV21 Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:33am

The knot/tails make it thicker than two inches... Thus illegal.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

AremRed Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 970750)
Irrelevant. It's the rule. The NFHS has made this clear.

I know that, that's why I wrote "Other than just "the rules say so""...

If you are gonna respond with "Don't question it, just follow the rule" when I already covered that, then why respond at all?? Don't shoot me in the face for questioning the rationale or spirit of a rule, I feel like that should be acceptable and encouraged here. You should be biting the heads off of the people that say "I don't agree with the NFHS so I'm going to ignore the rule", which you should know is definitely not me.

Raymond Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 970760)
I know that, that's why I wrote "Other than just "the rules say so""...

If you are gonna respond with "Don't question it, just follow the rule" when I already covered that, then why respond at all?? Don't shoot me in the face for questioning the rationale or spirit of a rule, I feel like that should be acceptable and encouraged here. You should be biting the heads off of the people that say "I don't agree with the NFHS so I'm going to ignore the rule", which you should know is definitely not me.

Acceptable yes, but I don't why it should be encouraged.

I rather just discussed what rule is in place, how to adjudicate it, possible areas of confusion, and actual situations related to the rule. Don't know what's up with this new need in the forum to discuss our likes and dislikes of rules. There are support groups for that.

Camron Rust Wed Nov 25, 2015 03:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 970755)
The knot/tails make it thicker than two inches... Thus illegal.

Not unless they tie 20 knots in it, one over the other.

I believe it the issue is they want only closed loop elastic bands, not inflexible fabric tied firmly. I don't know that makes a real difference, but that is what I think is the reason.

BryanV21 Wed Nov 25, 2015 03:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 970797)
Not unless they tie 20 knots in it, one over the other.

I believe it the issue is they want only closed loop elastic bands, not inflexible fabric tied firmly. I don't know that makes a real difference, but that is what I think is the reason.

That's what I was told. It's one of those explanations I didn't agree with, but said "ok" and moved on with more important things.