The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Can a coach use a megaphone? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100354-can-coach-use-megaphone.html)

imagomer Tue Nov 17, 2015 07:24am

Can a coach use a megaphone?

Not the big, cheerleader version, and not the powered portable public address system. Just a small (maybe 12") conical one you may get at a pep rally. Does this fall into the "noiseMAKER" classification?
Thanks

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Nov 17, 2015 07:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagomer (Post 969940)
Not the big, cheerleader version, and not the powered portable public address system. Just a small (maybe 12") conical one you may get at a pep rally. Does this fall into the "noiseMAKER" classification?
Thanks

The answer to your question is: No. But the Coach can channel the Late John Wooden and roll his game program in to a mini-megaphone.

Even thought my memory is starting to fail me, I do think that there is a late 20th Century Casebook play that allows for the John Wooden mini-megaphone. And since I am getting crotchety in my old age I don't feel like climbing up into the attic to look for it, but I sure that NevadaRef will be here shortly, metaphorically, to help me out.

MTD, Sr.

bob jenkins Tue Nov 17, 2015 08:37am

Agree with MTD on the case play.

BatteryPowered Tue Nov 17, 2015 08:47am

Wouldn't the correct answer be "Yes he can...but he will probably not like the result of his choice to do so." :D

We cannot stop an act from happening. We can, however, punish those acts that run afoul of the rules.

imagomer Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:22pm

Thanks - I especially appreciate the "yes he can, but" response.
I'm not quite old, but I was thinking about maybe becoming old and possibly not having enough air in the pipes to make myself heard.

BillyMac Tue Nov 17, 2015 04:03pm

Give That Man A Cigar ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 969943)
... there is a late 20th Century Casebook play that allows for the John Wooden mini-megaphone.

10.1.3 SITUATION A: Team A’s coach: (a) uses a megaphone or an electronic amplifier to shout instructions to players;
RULING: A team technical is charged in (a), The team technical counts toward reaching the bonus, but is not charged to the head coach.
In (a), the use of a rolled up program would be legal.

Also:

2001-2002 NFHS Interpretations SITUATION 6: The school-sponsored cheerleaders wish to use megaphones as part of their cheerleading routines from the sidelines. RULING: The new rule prohibiting artificial noisemakers would not apply to the cheerleaders in this situation. The megaphones would only be legal for the cheerleader’s use, provided they were being used appropriately. (1-18)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Nov 17, 2015 04:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 969970)
10.1.3 SITUATION A: Team A’s coach: (a) uses a megaphone or an electronic amplifier to shout instructions to players;
RULING: A team technical is charged in (a), The team technical counts toward reaching the bonus, but is not charged to the head coach.
In (a), the use of a rolled up program would be legal.

Also:

2001-2002 NFHS Interpretations SITUATION 6: The school-sponsored cheerleaders wish to use megaphones as part of their cheerleading routines from the sidelines. RULING: The new rule prohibiting artificial noisemakers would not apply to the cheerleaders in this situation. The megaphones would only be legal for the cheerleader’s use, provided they were being used appropriately. (1-18)

Bill:

Thanks for doing my work for me. I am getting lazy in retirement, :p.

MTD, Sr.

Nevadaref Tue Nov 17, 2015 04:55pm

Nice work, Billy Mac!

BillyMac Tue Nov 17, 2015 07:45pm

Right Back At You ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 969973)
Nice work, Billy Mac!

I got the "cheerleader" interpretation from the Forum's NFHS Past Interpretations Archives Sticky, so, thank you Nevadaref.

LRZ Tue Nov 17, 2015 09:05pm

The case seems to have disappeared from the current casebook, with the passage of time, but Rule 10-1-3 states, "A team shall not . . . Use a megaphone. . . . "

BillyMac Wed Nov 18, 2015 07:12am

I Wish That I Could Type Better ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 969981)
The case seems to have disappeared from the current rulebook, with the passage of time ...

The case play is from the 2011-12 NFHS Casebook, which is the most current PDF casebook that I have on my hard drive. I would be most grateful if somebody could help me get a more current (searchable; and copy and paste) NFHS casebook, onto my hard drive.