The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
I don't understand how I could not show a profit. In 2014 I brought in $5725.80 and drove 4300 miles. I think I have $55 to the state and $75 to my association. Uniforms purchases and shoes came out to around $200. What am I missing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
You either make a lot of money per game (relatively speaking) or your games/meetings/etc. are really close to your home.
Close to home? He drove 4300 miles to make $5,700. If I'm not mistaken, that's 133 miles driven for every $100 earned. That doesn't sound like "close to home" to me.
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't understand how I could not show a profit. In 2014 I brought in $5725.80 and drove 4300 miles. I think I have $55 to the state and $75 to my association. Uniforms purchases and shoes came out to around $200. What am I missing?
I'm with you on this. I have shown a pretty good profit every year.

I had revenue of about $21,000 in 2014 and mileage of about 11,000. Took all (I think) the other expenses I was entitled to. I don't go making stuff up just to increase my expenses.
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 02:02pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
You either make a lot of money per game (relatively speaking) or your games/meetings/etc. are really close to your home.
We pretty much do two games every time. 2 jh was $90, jv varsity $100, Var and var $110 plus mileage. I would say average game was 100ish miles round trip. However there is some nights where I would ride with someone else and get no mileage.
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 02:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
We pretty much do two games every time. 2 jh was $90, jv varsity $100, Var and var $110 plus mileage. I would say average game was 100ish miles round trip. However there is some nights where I would ride with someone else and get no mileage.
I go to 3 camps every off-season, one of them is 300 miles away. That will eat into profits.
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And that explains the difference....do 1 game assignments and your income drops but the mileage doesn't and you get into the break-even or loss range if you have a few extra expenses. The only common doubles we do are JH games and we don't get $90 for the pair, more like $65.

I have typically made some money in most years but have lost in a few when I've bought uniform stuff AND gone to camps.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Nov 20, 2015 at 11:32am.
Old Fri Nov 20, 2015, 11:27am
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
And that explains the difference....do 1 game assignments and your income drops but the mileage doesn't and you get into the break-even or loss range if you have a few extra expenses. The only common doubles we do are JH games and we don't get $90 for the pair, more like $65.

I have typically made money some money in most years but have lost in a few when I've bought uniform stuff AND gone to camps.

That makes sense. I was wondering how I could even be close to it but If I cut income nearly in half I can see the possibility.
Old Fri Nov 20, 2015, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

I'm in the same boat as Jeremy (And the same state). We nearly always work two games a night and I always show a pretty good profit. Once I whittle it down with mileage, uniforms, etc it is less sizeable, but I have shown a profit every year I have officiated.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 01:10pm
Aztec-Irishman

Let me add a few:

a) I usually take a month and half off from officiating to recharge mental and physical batteries.
b) I participate on our Board's Education Committee to train new officials. This gets me back into the rule book in earnest.
c) Fortunate to work fall varsity schedules to get back in shape.
d) My annual physical is scheduled in December in anticipation for the season.
e) Review equipment and uniforms for wear and tear. Usually order 6 new whistles per year and purchase new apparel as needed.
f) Review/update my varsity game bag and accessories. Extra everything in case needed at game site. i.e. shoe laces, sewing kit, ankle braces, knee braces, sports tape, shoe polish, grooming toiletries (shampoo, soap, lotion, tooth brush/paste, brush, towel), flip flops, static cling spray, lint roller, wooden hangar, laundry bag for wet uniform, shoe trees, pen/paper, muscle lotion, pain reliever (lots), Tums/Pepto, cough drops, contacts/glasses case, court chart w/magnets, safety pins, small lock, swiss army pocket knife)
g) Contact partners at least one week before game to confirm. Confirm gym location and time allotted to arrive.
h) Update personal spreadsheet with game schedule; partner ratings; game notes; paid date; commissioner fee. Update file of school's coaching staffs w/pictures as needed.
i) Review "You make the ruling" videos
j) Update Pregame Meeting sheets
k) Water bottles
l) Attend game dressed at least in business casual. Look sharp; officiate sharp. Arrive early enough minimally to watch JV game.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 01:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Tastes Great, Less Filling ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutierrez7 View Post
Usually order 6 new whistles per year.
Wow. Are you a "whistle chewer"?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 01:44pm
Aztec-Irishman

I use the Fox 40 Classic with CMG and hate when the CMG gets nasty. So, I guess, yes, I'm a whistle chewer. LOL