The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Arbiter Tech Questions (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100308-arbiter-tech-questions.html)

The_Rookie Fri Nov 06, 2015 05:24pm

Arbiter Tech Questions

Question 1 Pending games:

If the Assignor has assigned games to an official but has not pushed the button yet, and an official blocks the date and time of a pending game, will Arbiter make notification that there is now a conflict prior to pushing the button?

In other words the block is put in after game is pending but before button pushed?

Question 2:

Do you see your partners on a game prior to accepting the game?

ODog Fri Nov 06, 2015 06:05pm

In my experience, the answers are No and No.

Arbiter won't tell the official there's a conflict. I don't get the impression the assignor gets a heads up either, because this exact scenario has happened to me a few times. You'll just get an assignment for a window you blocked and you'll commence with the "wtf?!" face.

Then you contact your assignor and he explains the situation you just described. My assignor has been understanding about it since, until it's up there, it's not up there.

As for #2, if the answer were Yes, there'd be A LOT more turned back assignments!

tlavan Fri Nov 06, 2015 08:09pm

You will not be able to block a date that has a 'pending' game. It shows up blue to the official and cannot be blocked. As an assigner, this is when an official contacts me to let me know that they need to block the date but a game is pending.

JRutledge Fri Nov 06, 2015 09:16pm

I could be completely wrong here, but I believe a lot of these features are based on how the site is set up by the administrator of the site. I have in the past been able to review and I believe I have recently been able to review partners before I accept. I think some block that feature for you to view until you accept the game on purpose. I think other little features can be changed by the administrator as well.

Peace

Nevadaref Sat Nov 07, 2015 04:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 969200)
Question 1 Pending games:

If the Assignor has assigned games to an official but has not pushed the button yet, and an official blocks the date and time of a pending game, will Arbiter make notification that there is now a conflict prior to pushing the button?

In other words the block is put in after game is pending but before button pushed?

Question 2:

Do you see your partners on a game prior to accepting the game?

1. No, the block will not prevent the pending assignment from being published and Arbiter will not notify the assignor of the block.
2. This is a parameter that the group admin can set to either yes or no. Some groups allow you to see your partners before accepting/declining by clicking on the game number and others don't use this option.

Nevadaref Sat Nov 07, 2015 04:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlavan (Post 969207)
You will not be able to block a date that has a 'pending' game. It shows up blue to the official and cannot be blocked. As an assigner, this is when an official contacts me to let me know that they need to block the date but a game is pending.

This is incorrect. It will show light blue, not dark blue and the offical can still block that date.
I've been a group admin for an Arbiter group for eight years. I'm 100% certain of my two answers above.

Camron Rust Sat Nov 07, 2015 04:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 969208)
I could be completely wrong here, but I believe a lot of these features are based on how the site is set up by the administrator of the site. I have in the past been able to review and I believe I have recently been able to review partners before I accept. I think some block that feature for you to view until you accept the game on purpose. I think other little features can be changed by the administrator as well.

Peace

I can't tell you what Arbiter does, but Reftown allows exactly that...assignors can choose how and when these types of things become visible. I wouldn't be surprised if Arbiter did the same.

The_Rookie Sat Nov 07, 2015 09:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 969215)
1. No, the block will not prevent the pending assignment from being published and Arbiter will not notify the assignor of the block.
2. This is a parameter that the group admin can set to either yes or no. Some groups allow you to see your partners before accepting/declining by clicking on the game number and others don't use this option.

Thanks for info...assignor and refs have been getting into it over games assigned when date and time were blocked.