The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Michigan testing 16 minute halves (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100267-michigan-testing-16-minute-halves.html)

CoachP Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:19pm

Michigan testing 16 minute halves
 
From MHSAA.com:

Michigan Varsity basketball teams are allowed two (2) contests during the regular season that are played in two 16 minute halves with one (1) additional 30 second time out.
Purpose: The MHSAA Basketball Committee has for several years discussed the potential for allowing Michigan teams the experience of games played in halves. The original NFHS request for 18 minute halves was denied.
Requirements: All games played in halves must be pre-approved by the MHSAA. Each school participating must complete an after game report.
Time out Allowance: Games played in halves
Three (3) 60 second time outs
Three (3) 30 second time outs
Normal overtime rules and timing will apply: 4 min overtime period, 1 additional 60 second time out

SCalScoreKeeper Fri Oct 30, 2015 01:11pm

I like this idea-wonder when CA will try it?

WhistlesAndStripes Fri Oct 30, 2015 02:49pm

This is something that has appeared on the post season surveys from the NFHS more than once. I'd love to see the High School game move to halves.

scrounge Fri Oct 30, 2015 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 968783)
This is something that has appeared on the post season surveys from the NFHS more than once. I'd love to see the High School game move to halves.

I've never really understood why there are such strong opinions on this. I kinda like quarters, but never really thought it made much difference either way.

mutantducky Fri Oct 30, 2015 03:38pm

I like it. I would just want what Michigan wanted- the 18 minute halves. Or 17, add a couple of minutes to the game. It would still last about the same. Probably less so with fewer breaks.

so cal lurker Fri Oct 30, 2015 04:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 968788)
I like it. I would just want what Michigan wanted- the 18 minute halves. Or 17, add a couple of minutes to the game. It would still last about the same. Probably less so with fewer breaks.

But there aren't fewer breaks -- they are giving each team an extra TO.

I can't believe you want to take away half the chances a kid has to make that buzzer beater they spend so much time practicing in the driveway!:D

mutantducky Fri Oct 30, 2015 04:26pm

and it takes away our buzzer beater calls. At least in California I think players are so used to doing quarters or halves, it really isn't going to make a difference. I doubt many would even notice the change

SCalScoreKeeper Fri Oct 30, 2015 04:48pm

We do quarters in CA with the shot clock

Rich Fri Oct 30, 2015 05:05pm

Wisconsin is playing 18 minute halves this year.....just like Minnesota has played for quite some time.

JV/FR are 16 minute halves. Thankfully, conferences and schools have been given the ability to reduce those times if they wish. The conference I assign is going with 14 minute halves, for example.

SC Official Fri Oct 30, 2015 07:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 968796)
Wisconsin is playing 18 minute halves this year.....just like Minnesota has played for quite some time.

JV/FR are 16 minute halves. Thankfully, conferences and schools have been given the ability to reduce those times if they wish. The conference I assign is going with 14 minute halves, for example.

But the million-dollar question is, are your officials getting a pay increase commensurate with the increase in game time? ;)

Rich Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:05pm

Last I checked, my contracts were for 1 game....not for 32 minutes.

Camron Rust Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 968801)
Last I checked, my contracts were for 1 game....not for 32 minutes.

Yet, the assumption is that 1 games is defined in some way. Would it be acceptable if they suddenly defined a game to be 4 30 minute quarters?

Rich Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:34pm

We're talking 4 minutes game time. 2 fewer quarter breaks. Evidence I've read is that games end on average earlier.

Sometimes we gotta pick our battles.

BillyMac Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:48pm

Look For The Union Label ...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 968806)
Sometimes we gotta pick our battles.

Time and a half for overtime?

SC Official Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 968801)
Last I checked, my contracts were for 1 game....not for 32 minutes.

You must have missed the sarcastic tone and the winky face at the end of my post.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1