The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Whistleblower (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100220-whistleblower.html)

Kansas Ref Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:04am

Whistleblower

A recent new book about basketball officiating by Bob Katz: "The Whistleblower: Rooting for the Referee in the High Stakes College Basketball" made several noteworthy points. I will just cite 2 of them here --Please critique them:

1) "Many of the skills that are instrumental to succesful officiating--knowing the rules, understanding their permuations, can be acieved through enough book study and real-world practical experience; however, the crucial skill that will either promote an aspiring ref or doom them to mediocrity is 'decisiveness'.

2) "Every ref knows s/he could be one ugly sequence away from the purgatory of everlasting castigation. Officiating blunders that most sharply affect careers are mistakes on important calls that occur in the last two minutes of closely contested games. Mess up this type of call, you will get pummeled not only by coaches and fans, but also the media--and there is no statute of limitations--[the pummeling can go on forever]."

BatteryPowered Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:17am

The second is probably true. Just yesterday our preacher was talking about something similar and used Peter from the New Testament. Ask most people the first thing they think about when hear his name and it is the denials on that one night...not all the good he did.

Or from the sports world...what do you think of when someone mentions Bill Buckner?

WhistlesAndStripes Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:56pm

Great book!! I'm down to the final few pages, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not real big into reading, although I've started reading a bit more the past couple of years. I just downloaded this to my iPad last week and have torn right through it.

BillyMac Mon Oct 19, 2015 05:41pm

Suggested By Our Local Board President ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 968170)
Great book!! I'm down to the final few pages, and have thoroughly enjoyed it.

Amazon just sent me an email saying that it was on it's way.

WhistlesAndStripes Mon Oct 19, 2015 08:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 968195)
Amazon just sent me an email saying that it was on it's way.

On its way? You mean in actual paper format? Who buys real books anymore??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bas2456 Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BatteryPowered (Post 968159)

Or from the sports world...what do you think of when someone mentions Bill Buckner?

You mean the guy who won the batting title while with the Cubs in 1980?:p:p

BillyMac Tue Oct 20, 2015 07:16am

Reading Is Fundamental ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 968210)
You mean in actual paper format? Who buys real books anymore??

I read books the way God intended, books made from dead trees.

Raymond Tue Oct 20, 2015 07:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes (Post 968210)
On its way? You mean in actual paper format? Who buys real books anymore??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me...I'm not going to read books on my phone, nor carry around a laptop every where I go.

BatteryPowered Tue Oct 20, 2015 07:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 968222)
I read books the way God intended, books made from dead trees.

Uh...try again. Paper was invented around 100 BC. Just how much does it cost to have stone tablets shipped? Or are they one papyrus?

:eek: :D