The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 07, 2015, 02:58pm
This IS My Social Life

Unannounced Rule Revision - NFHS 9-1-3a

Last Year: "After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free thrower...he/she shall throw within 10 seconds to cause the ball to enter the basket or touch the ring before the free throw ends."

This Year: "After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free thrower...he/she shall throw within 10 seconds to cause the ball to enter the basket or touch the ring or backboard before the free throw ends."

Significance?
Old Wed Oct 07, 2015, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Wow!
That would be a HUGE change. It would no longer be a violation for a missed FT to fail to contact the ring. The thrower could fire the ball of the backboard and go after the long rebound.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2015, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Someone here needs to contact Theresia Wyns immediately to 'verify' this; however, it prolly just means that the simple fact of 'A1 attempting the FT' must occur within a 10 sec window. Not necessarily that "failure to contact the rim" and bounce off the backboard still enables Team A an opportunity to control the ball via rebound. At any rate, if read in a verbatim fashion it would give Team A a huge advantage--possibly a 'game changer' type of event. Email the NF asap.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2015, 03:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Last Year: "After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free thrower...he/she shall throw within 10 seconds to cause the ball to enter the basket or touch the ring before the free throw ends."

This Year: "After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free thrower...he/she shall throw within 10 seconds to cause the ball to enter the basket or touch the ring or backboard before the free throw ends."

Significance?
I don't think it really matters as long as there is still a violation listed for failing to hit the ring on a free throw attempt.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2015, 03:54pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:

Significance?
Perhaps to clarify that a free throw is permitted to touch the backboard first before entering the basket or touching the ring?

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Wed Oct 07, 2015, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I don't think it really matters as long as there is still a violation listed for failing to hit the ring on a free throw attempt.
This is the violation section. It now says ring or backboard. Don't see it anywhere else.....
Old Wed Oct 07, 2015, 04:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
This is the violation section. It now says ring or backboard. Don't see it anywhere else.....
Well, we know what they really want, right? LMFAO

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Wed Oct 07, 2015, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
It is clear, we cannot protect the nfhs from.....the nfhs.

Good catch Freddy.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2015, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS...WHY?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Oct 07, 2015, 04:35pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Good catch Freddy.
Wasn't my catch...came up on another forum.

Lone reference I could find regarding any need for "hitting the rim" still remains:
6.4.3 SITUATION A: B1, in a marked lane space, enters the lane prematurely. The administering official properly signals the violation and A1 attempts the free throw. However, A1's attempt does not enter the basket or touch the ring.
RULING: The violations by B1 and A1 constitute a simultaneous free-throw violation...

So what's the oversight? Keeping 6.4.3A, or inserting "or backboard" in 9-1-3a?

Seems to me they put that in so as to make it compatible with the "or backboard" that appears below in 9-1-3e and f. Problem is, in e and f those words make sense, given the free throw can theoretically strike the backboard and then the rim after. This is akin to Statman's response above.

Unintended consequences always seem to follow unannounced rules changes. Grrrrrrrrr.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2015, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Who knows, maybe they just wanted to make end game comebacks more exciting by letting the shooter slam it off the board instead of the rim.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2015, 05:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I really got a laugh out of this.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 08, 2015, 01:02pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I really got a laugh out of this.

Peace
What's really bad is that in the online version, if you read the POE's and go to the link provided in that discussion, it links to last year's verbiage. If you go the rule itself, it has this year's verbiage.
Old Thu Oct 08, 2015, 02:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
What's really bad is that in the online version, if you read the POE's and go to the link provided in that discussion, it links to last year's verbiage. If you go the rule itself, it has this year's verbiage.
And we are just supposed to follow the POE no matter what? Interesting.

For the record, my state does not have access to any of the online version unless you decide on your own to pay for the access which to my understanding is in the $40 range. Most officials never pay for that access, because it is not worth it for what you get.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 08, 2015, 09:27pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Wow!
That would be a HUGE change. It would no longer be a violation for a missed FT to fail to contact the ring. The thrower could fire the ball of the backboard and go after the long rebound.
NevadarRef:

I am inclined to agree with you. Read my response to the OP.

MTD, Sr.

Quote:

Significance?
Freddy:

If I were a betting man I would bet that this is a typo. I think it is a typo based upon past rules changes for two reasons:

1) When a rules change has been made (NFHS and NCAA), no matter whether or not there are Editorial Comments regarding the rules change, the rules change is high lighted in the Rules Book. The words that you highlighted in red are not shaded in the Rules Book. That cannot be always said about Casebook Plays; I can reference a NCAA Casebook Play from the 1993-94 season, but that is a story for another time.

2) The change that you found in the 2015-16 NFHS Basketball Rules Book was not made in the 2015-16 and 2016-17 NCAA Men's and Women's Basketball Rules Book. And I would find it difficult to believe that the three Rules Committees would not have had some sort of discussion about this change in the rules, no matter which Rules Committee(s) was thinking of making the change.

My best guess is that someone, who is lacking in knowledge of the rules of basketball, was tasked with proof reading the rules before it went to print and said person thought that those two words were "incorrectly deleted" and decided to "reinsert" them.

MTD, Sr.

P.S: I will email Peter Webb (Immediate Past Chairman of the NFHS Basketball Rules Committee and current Member of the Committee from Section 1, Dan Ross (Commissioner of the OhioHSAA and Member of the NFHS Basketball Rules Committee from NFHS Section 2), and Denny Morris (OhioHSAA State Basketball Rules Interpreter and Director of Basketball Officials) first thing tomorrow morning. Now back to flipping back and forth between the baseball game and the football game.

P.P.S.: I just checked: a) The NHFS website and the 2015-16 Baskektball Rules Interpretations have not yet been published; and b) The 2015-16 NFHS Basketball Rules Casebook and there are no plays addressing the "rules change".
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Fri Oct 09, 2015 at 11:24am. Reason: Added P.P.S.