The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 08, 2015, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

What would you do?

Junior high tournament this week in local school, I was there as a spectator. Boys game with host team vs. visitors. Visitors coach get slightly mouthy and is given a Tech. At this point the coach for the girls team goes down to the boys bench and gets involved, even calling a timeout a few minutes later. When the team comes over to the bench, she then yells at an extreme volume to one of their players "the next time #21 (home team) does that, he does not get up, you understand me!!" To the kids credit, I did not see any action that was out of line, but this comment was so off the wall, I was incredulous. I mentioned this to the home team coach after the game, but he did not seem concerned and I am sure will take no action. The question I have is what should a spectator do in this case?
Old Thu Oct 08, 2015, 11:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Stay out of it. You went to the coach, if they did not care, then you really should stay out of it. As an official I am not likely going to talk to you or care. Unless the league cares, they would be the only one that would take issue and often they will not. And you might not have heard everything in context as well to know what they were talking about. You said you did not see any kid do anything, so it is possible you did not hear the entire conversation or if you did you were hearing part of the conversation. Unless you were going to run on the court and stop the action (I would not recommend this at all) not sure what you can do but say something to your coach and that is what you did. Otherwise, stay out of it.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 08, 2015, 11:39pm
AremRed

As a spectator? Not much, contacting the AD would be the best thing though.

As an official? Whack.
Old Fri Oct 09, 2015, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
As a spectator? Not much, contacting the AD would be the best thing though.

As an official? Whack.
This!

As an official, if I see a spectator come out of the stands and go to the bench I am having a conversation with the site administrator (after verifying that person is NOT an official of the school attempting to address the issue professionally) so they can allow you to enjoy the wonderful weather after you leave the gym (or suffer in the cold, whatever the case may be). By the way, that coach would be joining you...
Old Sat Oct 10, 2015, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
Junior high tournament this week in local school, I was there as a spectator. Boys game with host team vs. visitors. Visitors coach get slightly mouthy and is given a Tech. At this point the coach for the girls team goes down to the boys bench and gets involved, even calling a timeout a few minutes later. When the team comes over to the bench, she then yells at an extreme volume to one of their players "the next time #21 (home team) does that, he does not get up, you understand me!!" To the kids credit, I did not see any action that was out of line, but this comment was so off the wall, I was incredulous. I mentioned this to the home team coach after the game, but he did not seem concerned and I am sure will take no action. The question I have is what should a spectator do in this case?
You could contact the principal of the school involved.