The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   hearing aids (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/100159-hearing-aids.html)

bbman Thu Oct 01, 2015 07:23pm

hearing aids
 
Any rule against a player wearing hearing aids? Don't know if it matters, but these were the 'larger' ones.
Seems like it could be dangerous with elbows flying around and such.

Thanks

ref3808 Thu Oct 01, 2015 08:02pm

No rule prohibiting said the father who had two hearing impaired children play the sport.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bballref3966 Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:40pm

Most states probably have a requirement to get a letter signed from a health care professional or something like that. But I'm not thinking twice about letting a kid with a hearing aid play.

You're asking for trouble and perhaps a lawsuit if you don't let a kid play for this reason.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:07pm

Treat hearing aides the same way you would treat eye glasses or contacts.

MTD, Sr.

Camron Rust Fri Oct 02, 2015 02:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbman (Post 967423)
Any rule against a player wearing hearing aids? Don't know if it matters, but these were the 'larger' ones.
Seems like it could be dangerous with elbows flying around and such.

Thanks

Dangerous for who? And how?

ref3808 Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:51am

The only danger is to the wallets of the player's parents because HA's don't like moisture/sweat.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bob jenkins Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 967447)
Dangerous for who? And how?

Maybe the OP is thinking about one of those old-fashioned hearing aids that is led up to the ear.

(No, Billy, we neither need nor want a picture)

BillyMac Fri Oct 02, 2015 03:10pm

Confucius Says ...
 
If it isn't illegal, then it's legal.

so cal lurker Fri Oct 02, 2015 04:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 967447)
Dangerous for who? And how?

I'd say there is *some* danger -- ball to head or head to ground or head to head contact could be exacerbated . . . *BUT* that is far outweighed by the danger to the player of telling him to take off the hearing aid and him not being able to hear -- just as telling a player to take off glasses may remove a smidgen of added risk, but imparts greater risk that it removes. IMHO referees who start thinking of telling players to remove hearing aids or glasses are *way* overthinking.

Camron Rust Fri Oct 02, 2015 05:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 967491)
I'd say there is *some* danger -- ball to head or head to ground or head to head contact could be exacerbated . . . *BUT* that is far outweighed by the danger to the player of telling him to take off the hearing aid and him not being able to hear -- just as telling a player to take off glasses may remove a smidgen of added risk, but imparts greater risk that it removes. IMHO referees who start thinking of telling players to remove hearing aids or glasses are *way* overthinking.

I doubt that hearing aid creates any more of a risk than the head hitting the floor/ball directly. For that matter, it might even be a benefit by creating a "crumple zone" that will absorb some of the energy as contact is being made. Or it might not....I don't know.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Oct 02, 2015 06:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 967443)
Treat hearing aides the same way you would treat eye glasses or contacts.

MTD, Sr.


Let me repeat myself: "Treat hearing aides the same way you would treat eye glasses or contacts."

MTD, Sr.

bbman Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:04pm

Thank you all for your thoughts.

referee99 Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:17am

Illegal
 
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...85b4e0fadf.jpg

referee99 Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:21am

These can take one aback at first
 
http://www.chsl.org/images/cochlear-implant.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1